Lightning sensor / 1 wire help needed

Hi Thomas,

I too have purchased the lightning detector from Hobby-Boards and have it up in the air about 15' below my weather station anemometer. Very nice board.

Just waiting for lightning. :)

However, I too, am picking up quite a bit of false positives generated from other sources, of about 5 or 6 counts /per hour, on a perfectly nice, cool day.

I am using OWW software in Linux.

I wanted to comment on the OneWireViewer -- I too had exactly the same problem as you did. Page 15 didn't make sense to me as I was looking all over the place for a page 15, but couldn't find it. And, after logically finding where I should be looking, I saw nothing, even though refreshing the page, after using the lighter.

When I tested the unit with OWW in Linux, I had no problem seeing the count increase with the lighter I used.

One thing I used, that wasn't shown in Tom Bitson's prototype page of building the lightning detector using PVC was using cork in the tube both at the top and bottom to keep the wire straight and not wobbling around. Also, at Home Depot near me, the PVC piping I used was schedule 40 and not 20, simply because they didn't carry it. Though a little more heavier, it was very sturdy.

Dan

Back