Link Offices wirelessly

Kanoonoo

I have two offices, one is on the fourth floor of my building and the other is a ground level studio about 1/2 mile away as the crow flies. Call me cheap, but I don't really want to pay for two internet connections, I figure there should be a good way to link the two offices together over longer distances than a typical router might allow.

I have found two things that might work, but thought I might glean something from talking to you guys.
Thirst option was a point to point, line of sight solution from Ubiquiti:
Ubiquiti-0000070700985-NanoStation-loco-M5

Then I heard something about single module GBIC units, but I don't know anything about them. I have read something about their ability to go distances of 10km? Here is on on Amazon:
TRENDnet-Mini-GBIC-Single-Mode-LC-Module
(I cannot post links since I am a new member, but those are the pieces of the Amazon links that matter. )

Does anyone have a good solution for this?

From the office on the fourth floor, I cannot directly see my ground level studio, there are some trees in the way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Kanonoo

Dont do it. Call some ISPs and the telcos and cable cos. They may be able to give you a good deal.

You do not want wireless between the two sites. Workers will rely on the connection and it has to be stable. If file server or Internet connection goes out, email and work stoppage will ensue. My rec is if you want it on the cheap do a business FiOS or similar plan from isp under $100/mo per site. If you are maintaining 2 offices thats the cost of doing business. You will avoid all wireless issues, backhaul and reliability will be solid

The second solution is not wireless.  It is a fiber interface for a switch/router, you would need to run fiber between the two points.   There are several wireless ethernet bridge solutions on the market, they can be difficult to setup/align.  They operate in unlicensed spectrum so you may run into interference, etc.   You may need a professional who will do a site survey etc to get it (and keep it) working.

Both are probably much more expensive then just paying for a few years of service from your ISP.

Kanoonoo said:
I have two offices, one is on the fourth floor of my building and the other is a ground level studio about 1/2 mile away as the crow flies. Call me cheap, but I don't really want to pay for two internet connections, I figure there should be a good way to link the two offices together over longer distances than a typical router might allow.

I have found two things that might work, but thought I might glean something from talking to you guys.
Thirst option was a point to point, line of sight solution from Ubiquiti:
Ubiquiti-0000070700985-NanoStation-loco-M5

Then I heard something about single module GBIC units, but I don't know anything about them. I have read something about their ability to go distances of 10km? Here is on on Amazon:
TRENDnet-Mini-GBIC-Single-Mode-LC-Module
(I cannot post links since I am a new member, but those are the pieces of the Amazon links that matter. )

Does anyone have a good solution for this?

From the office on the fourth floor, I cannot directly see my ground level studio, there are some trees in the way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Kanonoo

Line-of-sight would be a requirement for an unlicensed 802.1x wireless bridge. If there is no LOS, then you're going to be limited to using intermediary infrastructure as a relay point. With that in mind and as the others have stated... sounds like you have (2) ISP service locations to me as well.

I think you need to ask why?   Will the "remote" location need a fast, solid connection?

I have a friend who links his office to his house a couple of miles away over a wireless link.    He does this for nightly offsite backup.  I don't believe he uses it for an actual shared internet connection.

There are many wireless solutions.  Ubiquiti has some great products.   I have a long range WiFi link on my boat.   I've been able to get WiFi signals 4 miles away using an omni directional antenna.   WiFi signals are weak and fragile and easily obstructed with trees and weather.   Any structure in between will block the signal.
Nevertheless, for many rural residents, WISP internet is the norm.   I used a WISP provider until I moved to a location that had real hardwired internet.

So ask yourself what your needs are.  Are you willing to tolerate no internet during wind/rain/snow storms?   Are there any structures or hills between the locations?

--Russ

We use firetide on a bunch of installs. The cost is more than what a few years worth of service from the ISP's. In our case we have no choice and built our own networks for security and video when cabling or fiber installation was not possible or cost prohibitive.

DELInstallations said:
We use firetide on a bunch of installs. The cost is more than what a few years worth of service from the ISP's. In our case we have no choice and built our own networks for security and video when cabling or fiber installation was not possible or cost prohibitive.

Heh, I just helped deploy a few 7010s and 7020s :)

drvnbysound said:
Heh, I just helped deploy a few 7010s and 7020s :)
You don't want to know how many we have at a few sites here. Airport and large multi-campus hospital network with emergency phones, video and security. Our problem was IT wanted to segregate the firetide from the normal production network and lots of discussions on how to accomplish just that.

Back