Low Power PC For Home Automation

BDHall

Is anyone using an atom based motherboard that you are particuliarly pleased with?

I was thinking of replacing the MB in my existing tower (it died this week) with something that would be very low wattage. I mainly run HomeSeer and JR Media Center. I presently have several PCI sound cards that I use for zoned audio.

I looked at the HomeTroller but I want to run Windows 7.

I also considered an atom based netbook, but my soundcards would seem to be an issue. I tried USB soundcards before, but when I had to restart Windows I would often have to go in and reset my sound cards. It seemed that there was no set order in which the usb soundcards were assigned when Windows starts. For example, what I had set up for the living room might play in the bedroom after a reboot. You could imagine how the wife would like that. If I could get past this problem (I wonder if Windows 7 handles the usb ports any differently?) the usb soundcards would probably be a better approach given that PCI slots seem to be on the way out. This would also allow using a more standard PC arrangement.

Any thoughts?

Brian

I am using this board http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9832. It is a dual core 330 Atom with support for up to 6 RS-232 ports if you purchase the 3 optional RS-232 cables. They also have a board with a N270 Atom that also supports 6 RS-232 ports with the optional RS-232 cables. http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9830

I see thay have a newer Atom N270 board with support for up to 10 RS-232 ports now.http://www.logicsupply.com/products/kemx_2130

My board has been rock solid running Premise.

I am using this board http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9832. It is a dual core 330 Atom with 6 RS-232 ports. They also have a board with a N270 Atom that also has 6 RS-232 ports. http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9830
I think it would be good to clarify that is has support for upto X-number-of RS-232 COM ports. The boards above do not come with the sated numbers above.

They are nice boards.

I have a Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard (newegg link $80) that I not only use for HA, it's also my sandbox, and runs a couple of VMs. Ubuntu server keeps it rock solid.

I am using this board http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9832. It is a dual core 330 Atom with 6 RS-232 ports. They also have a board with a N270 Atom that also has 6 RS-232 ports. http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9830
I think it would be good to clarify that is has support for upto X-number-of RS-232 COM ports. The boards above do not come with the sated numbers above.

They are nice boards.

I have a Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard (newegg link $80) that I not only use for HA, it's also my sandbox, and runs a couple of VMs. Ubuntu server keeps it rock solid.

Yes, I had to buy the optional cables for the 3 RS-232 headers on the board I am using to get a full 6 RS-232 ports on mine. Logic supply had the cables.
I edited my post.

I am currently typing this message on an Asus netbook. I purchased a Woot special a few months back. I've upped the memory, SSD and put in XP Pro. Working great and ideal for travel. I like the size (Asus 901A).

I also have a few Intel based dual core atom motherboards set up for use and that I play with

I am currently using one for a carpc . Its been working well. Another one for a Touch screen.

I am still running homeseer though on an older MB (actually built a second duplicate HS box for DR and BU)

There are quite a few folks running HS on Atom based MB PC's. I switched over to USB for HA a few years back saving the one or two that come built into the MB for testing. I use two Digi 8 serial port to USB boxes to drive 16 serial ports.

Makes it easy to sway out.

The atom 330 is a dual core ht chip, like to n230s stacked together. The N270 is just an updated N230. I think the 330 uses more power though, mine uses about 30 watts at its peak with a full size hard drive.

I like to build with the INTEL D945GCLF2D boards. I can put a pc together (without OS) for less than 200, it includes 1 serial port. I use a Digi USB to 8 port serial for most everything else.

The atom 330 is a dual core ht chip, like to n230s stacked together. The N270 is just an updated N230. I think the 330 uses more power though, mine uses about 30 watts at its peak with a full size hard drive.

I like to build with the INTEL D945GCLF2D boards. I can put a pc together (without OS) for less than 200, it includes 1 serial port. I use a Digi USB to 8 port serial for most everything else.

30 watts?! Damn.. I have a 20 watt VIA Nehemiah based car PC running with a 220watt DC-DC ATX PSU and the big reason I'm not using it as much as I'd like is the power/performance ratio sucks. I've seen impressive things with the Intel Core Solo, and the Atom is even faster??

Perhaps it's time to upgrade?

toms hardwarel built a powerful 25W computer using an i5.

If you want quiet, Electrodacus from the silentpcreview forum found a fanless 130W power supply and sells it for 40$. You'll also need an AC-DC power brick (like one for a laptop), he refers to a li-shin one you can get on ebay for 40$ shipped too.

I was stoked to read that but what a crappy article.. They don't mention performance at all?! Can I run games on that setup? Should I just add a console instead of trying to get performance out of the car PC? :)

If you want quiet, Electrodacus from the silentpcreview forum found a fanless 130W power supply and sells it for 40$. You'll also need an AC-DC power brick (like one for a laptop), he refers to a li-shin one you can get on ebay for 40$ shipped too.

I was stoked to read that but what a crappy article.. They don't mention performance at all?! Can I run games on that setup? Should I just add a console instead of trying to get performance out of the car PC? :)

I agree that this article *really* coudl use some benchmarks, but I guess 3.33 GHz isnt something to spit on :)

30 watts?! Damn.. I have a 20 watt VIA Nehemiah based car PC running with a 220watt DC-DC ATX PSU and the big reason I'm not using it as much as I'd like is the power/performance ratio sucks. I've seen impressive things with the Intel Core Solo, and the Atom is even faster??

Perhaps it's time to upgrade?

I may be wrong but I think power draw vs power supply rating are not necessarily the same. Your PSU may be able to deliver up to 220watts (depending on it's efficiency) but actual consumption of the board and its components could very well be in the 30watt range. I think the case I usually buy comes with a 220watt PSU as well, and the 30 watts I reference above are measured using a Kill-A-Watt during boot up, idle and usage in those cases with the 220watt PSU. 23 watts idle, 30 during boot up and usage.

With regard to the i5, I had read that the i5 is a great gaming chip. I can't imagine building one for less than $400 though with OS. I use my systems with CQC and touchscreens so the power isn't really necessary. The most I do is use them to distribute the load so the master server doesn't have to run everything.

Thanks for all the comments.

I have considered an Atom based netbook, a fit-PC2i, one of the industrial boards mentioned above, etc. I am thinking about buying a cheaper, off the shelf computer that would have at least some PCI and PCI express support so I can get my system back up with at least some of my sound cards hopefully without too much grief.

I am thinking that if I go with a quick, cheap off the shelf solution for now that I could get things around the house working again and then take my time to work through my issues, develop and test a solution without having everything around the house messed up. If I can get away from the PCI sound cards my options improve and perhaps I could then buy or build a system that would be very reliable, low wattage and a more standard setup.

I am looking at a Compaq Presario CQ5320F. It has a AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor. Has anyone had any experience with this computer or this processor? I was wondering what to expect as far as power usage.

Also, is HS doing ok on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit?

Thanks again,

Brian

I'm on the new Intel Atom N270 Johnstown MB from logicsupply here: T-1610 Mini-ITX System

The three USB ports run my USB Insteon controller, a Serial UPB PIM and a serial W800RF32 (these are converted to USB with prolific converters). Over the last few days I have been monitoring power usage. The entire system draws 12W. I also ordered a OCZ SSD from NewEgg. Cost for everything was $300 including shipping. This system also has on-board sound and a mini pciE slot if you want to add WiFi. There are also two COM ports that you can cable to. Setup was pretty simple. Attach usb mouse, kbd and DVD. Connect a monitor and load your favorite OS. Intel includes drivers for XP through 7. It'll also boot ubuntu.

Highly recommended!

I'm on the new Intel Atom N270 Johnstown MB from logicsupply here: T-1610 Mini-ITX System

The three USB ports run my USB Insteon controller, a Serial UPB PIM and a serial W800RF32 (these are converted to USB with prolific converters). Over the last few days I have been monitoring power usage. The entire system draws 12W. I also ordered a OCZ SSD from NewEgg. Cost for everything was $300 including shipping. This system also has on-board sound and a mini pciE slot if you want to add WiFi. There are also two COM ports that you can cable to. Setup was pretty simple. Attach usb mouse, kbd and DVD. Connect a monitor and load your favorite OS. Intel includes drivers for XP through 7. It'll also boot ubuntu.

Highly recommended!

Sounds like an interesting setup.

I ended up being able to fix my computer that runs HomeSeer. I still want to either buy or build another computer to run HS as economically as possible while still serving my purposes. But since I am out of a bind, I would like to take my time with this. I want to get away from my dependancy on PCI slots for my sound cards if I can get usb sound cards to start up in the same order each time the system is restarted. If I can do this then I will have more options for a computer.

Thanks for all the ideas, I will try to follow this thread and perhaps other ideas will be presented.

Brian

Back