Lumina Pro and OP2 connected together in one system

pete_c said:
The OmniLink and ProLink serial protocals are very different.

The older ProLink serial stuff is mentioned above.

Read here:

Omni ProLink

attachicon.gif
HAI_Pro-Link_Description.PDF

OmniLink2

attachicon.gif
HAI_Omni-Link_II_Protocol_Rev2-16.pdf

Running two HS3 boxes with the Omni Plugin will sort of work.
Thanks Pete for the info. I'm a bit confused. You were referring to the Pro-Link protocol as the communication protocol between the omnitouch panels, noticing that these are ip based. What is the Pro-link serial protocol doing, in relation to the touch panels? Is  the panel using serial over ip communication (pro-link over omni-link)? Maybe I have misunderstood your reference.

pete_c said:
Running two HS3 boxes with the Omni Plugin will sort of work.
Pete,

Can you expand on this statement and what are your thoughts?  Why does one need two HS3 boxes to accomplish my tasks?

The Homeseer Omni plugin only will talk to one HAI Omni device via the network.

You can though add a serial to HAI Omni piece using the Homeseer serial plugin.

Such that you would be talking to two HAI devices - one serially via the OmniLink2 protocal and one via the network.

or

Buy an old HS Hometroller with HS V2.X on it, connect it to on OmniPro panel via the serial port with the old HAI plugin.

You can create variables on it that talk to HS3 and vice versa.

You will get overwhelmed with HAI variables.

You were referring to the Pro-Link protocol as the communication protocol between the omnitouch panels, noticing that these are ip based.

Pro-link and Omnilink are the protocals used for communication (originally and still serial).  IP is using same newer protocal.

I have never tried to talk between the two panels so I do not know how this would work.

What is the Pro-link serial protocol doing, in relation to the touch panels?

I am guessing that is it is the same protocol that the Keypad, thermostat, serial Russound use (specific to the devices),

I have not played with it so really do not know specifics.  I have used PCA via a serial connection and it works the same as the IP connection.

Is  the panel using serial over ip communication (pro-link over omni-link)? Maybe I have misunderstood your reference.

Serial to IP is just what it saids it is.  It is different than the network connection.

I suggested a guesstimate to have the two panels communication to software and binding the software variables between old and new software Homeseer plugins.  I have never done this.  I have used the Homeseer 2 serial plugin and today using the Homeseer 3 network plugin.  I also here have the OmniPro 2 old and new but never touch the old these days.

pete_c said:
Serial to IP is just what it saids it is.  It is different than the network connection.
Thanks Pete for the feedback!

Hmm! From what I have read, see and experienced, the Omni-link II protocol  is based on the tcp/ip protocol (for addressing) up to to the application level. At the application level, the messages communicated between the controller and other devices (i.e. touch panel) are encrypted within the Omni-link II application packet. In fact, it function the same as C-bus protocol. Yes it is different than the network connection, but at the source of it's hardware the controller is a full TCP/IP communication capable. PC access communicates via the network port. I also tried to connect the OP2 to Homeseer (with the plugin), and I have no problem seeing it.

I concur that the communication between the PIM/X10 etc. are done via the serial RS-232 ports . There is also the RS-485 data bus for the wired control panels, wireless interfaces and expansion. I may be wrong, but I do question the serial communication between the controller and the touch screens. It will make no sense to use two protocols for achieving the same task.

The reason I asked for feedback, on how the controller works, is that I need to expand the number of serial ports. As we all know, there are serial devices which can be added via a network. However, I need to understand the relationship between the external devices and the OP2 controller at the network level and if possible, trying to accomplish my goal.  

I may be wrong, but I do question the serial communication between the controller and the touch screens. It will make no sense to use two protocols for achieving the same task.

Thinking it is the same.  It is only three wires. 

BTW here too have toasted one 5.7e and one 3.5" HAI touch screen flipping wires.  I tried to send the 3.5" back for repairs and HAI said they didn't support those anymore.  (too small any how).

I think you can add one serial expander plus one serial to ethernet expander...not totally sure.  I use the RS485 here today for my Zigbee ZIM box. (there is a jumper on the panel to switch over to RS485).

Base controllers are still all serial where as the network stuff is more consoles, cameras, et al. (well and a plugin).  That and I also have the HAI Logger program talk to the Samsung plugged in.

Pete,

Interesting thoughts and observations here!

Are you sure we are talking about the same touch panels? The three wire connection is the RS485. I have not seen the 3.5 panel or the old panels. Perhaps, the older 1st generation panels were connected via the three wires.

My omnitouch 5.7e is PoE capable and is connected via a cat 5e cable to my PoE switch. The companion 6 is not PoE, but also communicates via TCP/IP. The 5.7e communicates and updates via the network from the HAI Automation Studio. However, your feedback triggered some new ideas.

So, if you use your zigbee box via the RS485, do you think some additional rs232 to rs485 converters may give me an additional serial ports? As far as know, the RS485 protocol can support up to 32 devices on a single pair. Where is the Zim box listed in PC Access, and how do you configure the rs485?

Maybe, this is the answer to my problems!

Apologies for the Omnitouch 5.7 and smaller touch consoles it is 4 four wires.  2 for power and 2 for serial communications such that serial uses three wires.  I started originally using cat5e for 4 pairs of wires.

The Omnitouch 5.7e's here too are POE connected to the network.   I used the old Omnitouch CCTV and touchscreen hub and added a small POE switch inside and marked the cat5e wires accordingly. 

So, if you use your zigbee box via the RS485, do you think some additional rs232 to rs485 converters may give me an additional serial ports? As far as know, the RS485 protocol can support up to 32 devices on a single pair. Where is the Zim box listed in PC Access, and how do you configure the rs485?

I do not know.  The Zigbee ZIM configuration came with the manual from HAI.  PCA shows the ZIM in the dropdownbox of PCA.

Thanks Pete.

I will order some of the  rs232 to R485 converters and test them on my controller. Will see if the controller recognizes the serial port.

Note the 6 wire pinouts for RS485 on the OmniPro.

rs485.jpg

The only way you can test the port is via a terminal session to the port or just connect PCA serially.

There is a thread here by Tiger as he started to play with the serial port and communications to the OP2 old panel.

I have DIY'd wired my own RS-232 ports using an RJ12 (6 pin) to a 9 Pin shell pin by pin. I did connect to the DCD pin.  The Zigbee ZIM must use the 12VDC to power up the device.  With the ZIM it was a PITA to configure a device.  Testing I used a lamp module and then PCA to turn on and off a lamp.  The ZIM communicates fine to the Omnistat2 with Zigbee from what I hear. 

Just recently downsized my X10 and UPB cables to old fashioned 4 wire telephone cable (thin) with RJ11's.  The two run some 25 feet to the fuse panel where I have the HAI PIM and Jeff Volp's dual TW523 X10 on steroids box. I was using cat5e to baluns.  It was starting to look spaghetti like. 

Maybe I missed it, bit did anyone mention adding serial ports via the 10A17-1 serial expansion boards? You can add up to two of them giving the original poster 5 ports. In the case of a newer board with 5 native ports this would expand you to 7 serial ports. 

ghostinstallations said:
ghostinstallations, on 31 Jul 2017 - 19:53, said:
Maybe I missed it, bit did anyone mention adding serial ports via the 10A17-1 serial expansion boards? You can add up to two of them giving the original poster 5 ports. In the case of a newer board with 5 native ports this would expand you to 7 serial ports.
Isn't this board for management only? Can't confirm just yet, but I do not believe is listed as an option in PCA other than selecting it for management purpose via serial.

One interesting fact came to light after reading the 10A17-1 Instruction Sheet - Serial Interface ( http://www.leviton.com/en/docs/DI-021-OA104-00A-W.pdf ). To my surprise, according to Leviton, two or more controllers can be linked together via the serial interface board using the Pro-Link features.

Good news papa123!

Initially thinking that one serial board for early OmniPro 2 (without networking) was serial to ethernet board.  Later with networking and 3 serial ports the serial board was to add another serial port.  I thought only one addition port was the option - not two.

IE:

1 - HAI - 93A00-1 serial ethernet server * for management via PCA
2 - HAI - 10A17-1 serial interface module * thought you could only add one of these

Back