M1XEP, SMTP and Mac OS X

aehusted

I want to set up my M1XEP to send emails. I don't have an SMTP server that I can connect to (gmail apparently won't work) so I would like to just configure postfix on my Mac server to do the SMTP forwarding. I have used RapidoSMTP to enable postfix on the Mac, but now I am stuck.
I have read a lot of posts on this subject here and it seems like this is really a lot more complicated than I thought. Is anyone else out there using a similar setup or have some postfix knowledge that they can share? I know that I have to make some changes to get the server to accept mail from the M1XEP, but I don't know how.

From my knowledge you need to connect to a SMTP email server. Web based email systems like gmail and hotmail do not work.

reply from M1XEP guru!

Subject: RE: This was on cocoontech. Can you answer?

I don’t know postfix specifically, however, you should be careful to prevent spammers and others from using your server. Don’t allow it to be an “Open Relay.” Put it behind a firewall and even require authentication to send mail. And, since you probably don’t have an MX record in any DNS servers, receiving mail servers that do a reverse DNS lookup may reject mail sent to them. Most of your mail should get through, but be aware that some servers may reject an email from you.

I want to set up my M1XEP to send emails. I don't have an SMTP server that I can connect to (gmail apparently won't work) so I would like to just configure postfix on my Mac server to do the SMTP forwarding. I have used RapidoSMTP to enable postfix on the Mac, but now I am stuck.
I have read a lot of posts on this subject here and it seems like this is really a lot more complicated than I thought. Is anyone else out there using a similar setup or have some postfix knowledge that they can share? I know that I have to make some changes to get the server to accept mail from the M1XEP, but I don't know how.

You can configure your Gmail account so you bypass the web interface and use their POP/SMTP servers to receive and send mail, respectively. I have used the Gmail POP/SMTP servers with Eudora but haven't tried it with the M1XEP. Log into your Gmail account, go to settings and then select the "Forwarding and POP" tab to set it up in Gmail. Gmail provides instruction on how to configure "other mail clients" here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

Thanks for the tips.
I tried setting up for Gmail, but it does not seem to be working. Is there a way to view a log from the M1XEP to veryify that is trying to send emails? Nothing shows up in the regular log, nothing seems to be blocked by either the Mac or Dlink firewalls, but no mail is showing up. Is there a way to get a more detailed log of what the XEP is doing?
Also, is the XEP using TLS/SSL for the SMTP connection? This seems to be a gmail requirement as well.
Thanks.

Back