motion sensor question

tbrad

Does anyone know a way to restrict the hours (by time of day) that an x10 motion detector will send on/off commands?

I have no idea if this is possible or not.. I've got a particular motion sensor I'd like to have "on" from 1:00AM- 5:AM and not to send on/off signals at any other time. This is in an area that will be dark from approx 7:00PM - 7:00AM btw.

I guess an electric motion detector plugged into an x10 recepacle or lamp module would do the trick as opposed to a battery powered one - it's the only way I can think of anyway..

Thanks,
Thomas

You could parallel the motion detector's output with a relay (contacts) and control when that relay was on and off via an X-10 output module (use a 120 VAC coil relay or DC coil with wall wart plugged into appliance module).

If you were using automation software, couldn't you have it send an unused x10 signal, and then have the software figure out when to send it to the real x10 address?

You can't tell the motion when to stop sending signals, but you could tell your automation controller when to ignore them! If you're using the motion sensor to directly control a X10 module or switch however, you're out of luck.

All good ideas - I think letting the software control it would work well in my application - thanks a lot for the ideas.

Martin - just ordered a w800 from AO so I can play with my ds10as! (picked up a couple more togglelincs while I was at it. <g>)

Thanks
Thomas

tbradnc said:
All good ideas - I think letting the software control it would work well in my application - thanks a lot for the ideas.

Martin - just ordered a w800 from AO so I can play with my ds10as! (picked up a couple more togglelincs while I was at it. <g>)

Thanks
Thomas
Hi Thomas

Not sure if your using any specific HA software but it looking for somethibf FREE check out xPL......Its got a W800 Plugin and lots of others .....
Check out the links

http://wiki.xplproject.org.uk/index.php/Main_Page

http://www.xplmonkey.com/xplw800.html

HTH
Frank

Back