My 1927 bungalow home structured wiring project

PoE and GigE are incompatible, though I believe you can get mixed purpose switches (some PoE some GigE). Reason being GigE uses all 8 conductors on the wire, 10/100 only uses half of them so you can use the rest for PoE.

Not true. The GigE spec allows for power by doing some monitoring of power differential for each bit rather than on/off operation. Whether or not a cheap switch supports it, I have no idea. But my Juniper EX-4200 certainly does.

I have some PoE capable devices that have gig ports on them. I'll try plugging them into a cheap PoE gig switch the next time I'm over at my buddy's ISP. He bought a bunch of cheap ones for an IP phone system. These devices DO work on my Juniper switch, and they also link up at 1000/full.
Interesting, never heard of this. I've always seen warnings not to mix for danger of toasting things.

Some googling and I come to realize perhaps what I've always heard about and seen actually deployed were not "proper" PoE power injectors but instead just dumb voltage injectors.

It does appear there is some fancy detection using resistance to determine the presence of a PoE device and how much power it needs. And it appears to be compatible with GigE..

I honestly hadn't seen any that were GigE and PoE on same port but I haven't looked for them, as I haven't needed anything PoE.

Ah yes, many of those PoE injector things are not "smart." I don't know if they will actually fry things if you hook them up to gigE devices, but it's possible they could cause problems.

Finished the 1st floor... 2nd Drop in the den is done, and the Office drop is done as well... I am actually getting pretty good at cutting through plaster and wood, in fact, I was able to do it in about 30 minutes and with NO repair required afterwards! (Yes, I was lucky, and yes, miller lite was involved) :D

Anyway, here are some pics:

plaster_removed.jpg

2nd den drop location, plaster drilled out for the Carlon mount... Luckily no plaster cracked/chipped off... Note the wood boards left to be cut, they are a pain as when cutting them, they tend to crack the plaster walls...

wood_removed.jpg

Lucky again! Removed all wood, and installed Carlon old work bracket perfectly leveled with no wall damage...

den_finished.jpg

Finished! 3 Cat 6 and one RG6 making a total of 3 RG6 and 7 Cat6 in the Den (Home Theater Room)

office_finished.jpg

Office drop finished! This is the "standard" drop for my home now (2 cat6 and 2 RG6), even though this is the first time I've used this config, lol :)

All wiring in the basement is run and today I plan to secure it to the overhead floor joists and run it behind the plywood panel... All cables are marked so I know which cable goes to which port... I will also probably start terminating my patch panel today so when my switch arrives on Wednesday I can plug it in and be in business..

Finally, I want to slightly reconfigure my arrangement in my rack, I'll post an updated pic and hopefully get some feedback...

OK, here's a pic of how I think I will set my rack up, suggestions welcomed:

rack_proposed.jpg

Both racks are 12" (I removed the 4" deep rack with swing gate), top rack is 7U, bottom rack is 4U.

Top Rack Equipment:
1- Monoprice Cable Managment (1U)
2&3 - 24-port RG6 Patch Panel (2U)
4- Monoprice Cable Managment (1U)
5- Tripp Lite IBAR12-20ULTRA 20-amp surge strip (1U)
6&7- Monoprice Single Sided 30lb shelf, reverse mounted (2U)

Bottom Rack Equipment:
1- 24-port Cat6 Patch Panel (1U)
2&3- BLANK - Maybe I put a 2U cable management system like NeatPatch or Panduit?
4- 24-port Cat6 Switch (Arrives Wednesday) (1U)

Any tips or suggestions on moving things around before I punch down my patch panel and terminate my RG6 panel would be appreciated! :cool:

OK, here's a pic of how I think I will set my rack up, suggestions welcomed:

rack_proposed.jpg

Both racks are 12" (I removed the 4" deep rack with swing gate), top rack is 7U, bottom rack is 4U.

Top Rack Equipment:
1- Monoprice Cable Managment (1U)
2&3 - 24-port RG6 Patch Panel (2U)
4- Monoprice Cable Managment (1U)
5- Tripp Lite IBAR12-20ULTRA 20-amp surge strip (1U)
6&7- Monoprice Single Sided 30lb shelf, reverse mounted (2U)

Bottom Rack Equipment:
1- 24-port Cat6 Patch Panel (1U)
2&3- BLANK - Maybe I put a 2U cable management system like NeatPatch or Panduit?
4- 24-port Cat6 Switch (Arrives Wednesday) (1U)

Any tips or suggestions on moving things around before I punch down my patch panel and terminate my RG6 panel would be appreciated! :cool:

Looks good, and Panduit rocks ;) Definately add some kind of wire management to the lower section, to tidy up the wires there. The one cat5 plugged into the front of the patch panel I assume is going to the ONT ? Might consider getting a bunch of the narrow Panduit style cable management stuff like this ?

You can use that to create some organized cable runs between things that are mounted there, rather than wrapping them around the back just to pop out again elsewhere. They should have corners and stuff you can use to run it up to the front of the racks, and you can get some rack mountable pieces that can go on the rack itself to be consistent. I'd probably keep the existing wire management stuff on the top rack though itself because the coax runs are going to be stiffer with larger bend radiuses, you could do it with panduit too but it'd be more of a PITA.

Then again, if you mount the other network gear right under the switch I guess it's pretty redundant because then the only thing running from the front of the patch panel to the back and around again is the FiOS connection.

Perhaps install a surface mount box (or even flush mount with an old work LV box) a cat5 jack right next to the ONT, and you can then use a short patch (6-12") to that, and terminate that box to the patch panel too, that'll be neater and let you patch it in wherever later you might decide to later (granted for the moment you'd end up with ONT > short cat5 > cat5 jack next to ONT > behind 'wall' > patch panel > cat5 patch panel > cat 5 patch panel > behind 'wall' and up to wherever the router is currently sitting).

I'm still thinking it would be nice to make a 1" tall or so slot and maybe 6-8" wide (or even the whole width of rack) above the rack for the cat5 cable to come through the back of the 'wall' right into the rack and to the patch panel, rather than having it wrapped around the sides. Alternatively, slap a single or double gang LV old work box there or something to give it a nice look instead, that'll be plenty of sq inches to fit the cables through comfortably. You could do another (might need the dual gang to do comfortably) to run coax to the coax patch panel from underneath or above.. perhaps, in fact, line these all up next to each other horizontally and have them spaced evenly between the two racks ?

/ramble

Looks good, and Panduit rocks ;) Definately add some kind of wire management to the lower section, to tidy up the wires there. The one cat5 plugged into the front of the patch panel I assume is going to the ONT ? Might consider getting a bunch of the narrow Panduit style cable management stuff like this ?

You can use that to create some organized cable runs between things that are mounted there, rather than wrapping them around the back just to pop out again elsewhere. They should have corners and stuff you can use to run it up to the front of the racks, and you can get some rack mountable pieces that can go on the rack itself to be consistent. I'd probably keep the existing wire management stuff on the top rack though itself because the coax runs are going to be stiffer with larger bend radiuses, you could do it with panduit too but it'd be more of a PITA.

Then again, if you mount the other network gear right under the switch I guess it's pretty redundant because then the only thing running from the front of the patch panel to the back and around again is the FiOS connection.

Perhaps install a surface mount box (or even flush mount with an old work LV box) a cat5 jack right next to the ONT, and you can then use a short patch (6-12") to that, and terminate that box to the patch panel too, that'll be neater and let you patch it in wherever later you might decide to later (granted for the moment you'd end up with ONT > short cat5 > cat5 jack next to ONT > behind 'wall' > patch panel > cat5 patch panel > cat 5 patch panel > behind 'wall' and up to wherever the router is currently sitting).

I'm still thinking it would be nice to make a 1" tall or so slot and maybe 6-8" wide (or even the whole width of rack) above the rack for the cat5 cable to come through the back of the 'wall' right into the rack and to the patch panel, rather than having it wrapped around the sides. Alternatively, slap a single or double gang LV old work box there or something to give it a nice look instead, that'll be plenty of sq inches to fit the cables through comfortably. You could do another (might need the dual gang to do comfortably) to run coax to the coax patch panel from underneath or above.. perhaps, in fact, line these all up next to each other horizontally and have them spaced evenly between the two racks ?

/ramble

Love the ideas!! And yes, the one cat5 plugged in the patch panel right now is for the ONT, but I plan to route it much neater than that when everything is finished :D

OK, just ordered a Panduit WMP1E (Panduit WMP1E Specs)... It's a 2U patch cable manager, should work nicely in between the switch and patch panel with a bunch of 2 ft patch cables... That should take care of patch panel to switch cable mgmt...

As far as incoming coax and cat6 lines, I wanted to use two of these (http://www.datacommelectronics.com/product.php?ID=434):

45-0003.jpg

However, I called up the company and they said the mounting depth is 1 7/8" deep, and I only have about a 1" mounting depth :( I love the look of these, I wonder what other choices I have? EDIT: I was just thinking I could cut the back part off so as just to have these things like a face plate... That's really all I need them for... Thoughts? I'd mount two of them side by side in between the racks, one pointing downwards for the cat6 cables, and one pointing upwards for the coax...

That white panduit stuff you linked to, would that be like raceways running on top of my plywood wall? Do you have any pictures of what a finished product using that stuff would look like? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are suggesting with that stuff... Thanks!

As far as incoming coax and cat6 lines, I wanted to use two of these (http://www.datacommelectronics.com/product.php?ID=434):
However, I called up the company and they said the mounting depth is 1 7/8" deep, and I only have about a 1" mounting depth :D
Maybe these are shallower?
http://www.vanco-online.com/index.php?main...word=bulk+plate

Nice find! Those are reversible too, so either recessed or surface mount... I think we may have a winner ;) I wonder how many wires I can fit in the 2-gang one (which appears to be the biggest one, too bad there's no 3-gang version)? The specs say the hole is approx 1-1/2 in x 3 in... I guess if one will not hold all my coax I could buy another one...

I've been thinking about placement and will probably mount these above each rack respectively, so the wires can flow down into the rack... So I'll have plenty of room to add as many as possible...

Arlington also makes similar stuff, but their web site is harder to find stuff on.
http://www.aifittings.com/wnft.htm
http://cableorganizer.com/arlington-indust...all-plates.html

I have never seen a 3 gang bulk plate. The two-piece or hinged units are nice as they make it easier to add pre-terminated cables with large ends.

Went to my local electrical supply shop and picked up two Vanco dual-gang 2-piece reversible cable wall plates, then went over to home depot and got two carlon dual-gang low voltage brackets... I'll have to trim the bracket depth to fit, but it should be nicer than just mounting the Vanco wall plates in a cut-out of the plywood...

I will put one wall plate over each rack, depending on how many wires they can hold... Will test tonight if I have time...

wall_plates.jpg

Love the ideas!! And yes, the one cat5 plugged in the patch panel right now is for the ONT, but I plan to route it much neater than that when everything is finished ;)

OK, just ordered a Panduit WMP1E (Panduit WMP1E Specs)... It's a 2U patch cable manager, should work nicely in between the switch and patch panel with a bunch of 2 ft patch cables... That should take care of patch panel to switch cable mgmt...

45-0003.jpg

However, I called up the company and they said the mounting depth is 1 7/8" deep, and I only have about a 1" mounting depth :D I love the look of these, I wonder what other choices I have? EDIT: I was just thinking I could cut the back part off so as just to have these things like a face plate... That's really all I need them for... Thoughts? I'd mount two of them side by side in between the racks, one pointing downwards for the cat6 cables, and one pointing upwards for the coax...

That white panduit stuff you linked to, would that be like raceways running on top of my plywood wall? Do you have any pictures of what a finished product using that stuff would look like? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are suggesting with that stuff... Thanks!

Nice choices. Though instead of trimming the stuff you did end up getting to fit in 1" of space, how hard would it to be to unmount the plywood and remount it further out ? (just slap some 2x4's or something across behind it, then mount to those ? ) more space can't hurt. 1" is gonna get tight anyways with all the cable back there...

Nice choices. Though instead of trimming the stuff you did end up getting to fit in 1" of space, how hard would it to be to unmount the plywood and remount it further out ? (just slap some 2x4's or something across behind it, then mount to those ? ) more space can't hurt. 1" is gonna get tight anyways with all the cable back there...

Turns out, I had enough depth for the Carlon low voltage mounting bracket! I did have to trim the two screws just a bit (1/4"), but it fit perfectly! I re-ran all the cables to be nice and tight as I have 3 separate service loops so I am ready to rock... Here are some pics as it is right now, just waiting for my switch to arrive tomorrow to punch down my patch panel...

plywood_hole.jpg

Cutting a hole was not easy without a power reciprocating saw, lol!

plywood_brackets.jpg

Brackets installed, wires velcro'd and run using a small chain as a pull cord, and coax and cat6 separated...

plywood_hoods.jpg

Starting to look nice and CLEAN!! I like the black wire and black hoods, hides the wires even more...

OK, so I will punch down the coax and cat6 panels tomorrow after my switch arrives... I really wish I had sufficient signal strength to keep my Dlink DIR-655 in the basement next to the rack, but alas, not enough wireless power... I guess I can add another access point...

Oh, here are a few pics of how I am running the cables from the drops to the rack along the unfinished basement ceiling:

cable_run3.jpg

cable_run2.jpg

cable_run1.jpg

Note the various service loops along the way... The messy one is right before the FIOS box where everything intersects... It looks messier than it is, but I guess I could wrap it up a bit tighter, but the way it is now, there are no sharp bends, and I figure once the basement is finished, it will be hidden up in the ceiling anyway...

That worked out real nice. Too bad you can't get wider LV box + plate, it's kinda distractingly narrow next to the rack :D

Glad you left extra length, nice job tucking it up there. Are those clamps "wire clamps" or repurposed PVC pipe clamps ?

That worked out real nice. Too bad you can't get wider LV box + plate, it's kinda distractingly narrow next to the rack :D

Glad you left extra length, nice job tucking it up there. Are those clamps "wire clamps" or repurposed PVC pipe clamps ?

Ya, I wanted at least 3-gang, but c'est la vie... My wife made a comment like "This is a very neat and tidy installation for something that's hidden in the basement utility room", lol!! Made me realize that maybe I am going a bit overboard, especially when I busted out the red paint and did touch-up around the holes I cut for the LV boxes B)

Those clamps are from home depot, and they are wire clamps, "#2 Ser Cable Straps #GSE-304 by Gardner Bender":

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/1376052

They hold about 8-10 wires comfortably and snug, and they are pretty cheap (less than 50 cents each)...

Ya, I wanted at least 3-gang, but c'est la vie... My wife made a comment like "This is a very neat and tidy installation for something that's hidden in the basement utility room", lol!! Made me realize that maybe I am going a bit overboard, especially when I busted out the red paint and did touch-up around the holes I cut for the LV boxes B)

Those clamps are from home depot, and they are wire clamps, "#2 Ser Cable Straps #GSE-304 by Gardner Bender":

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/1376052

They hold about 8-10 wires comfortably and snug, and they are pretty cheap (less than 50 cents each)...

Hah! You should go get some trim (door/window/cabinet/whatever) and put them along the edges to make it all nice and finished B)
maybe even paint them black like the rack and cable pass through plates. Now if only the ONT could be had in black... :D

Back