Neat Gadget at CES

No kidding. This is the one company that I wanted to meet with this year.

The basic module is a linux computer which has four (I think) standard plug interfaces that you plug different personality modules into. Kind of like electronic Legos. The set of modules that Bug Labs sells includes a touch screen, motion sensor, camera module and GPS module. The idea is that you add what you want and either use their application software or write your own.

I met the president of the company last night and he says everything is totally open source. Want to build additional modules? Go for it. Want to unbolt their application framework? Go for it. They have defined something like 80 potential add on modules and they will give you the spec if you want to build one.

The piece that doesn't come through on their web site is that if you build something using the modules and then want assistance in doing a short production run or other customization they are set up to help do that. A group of people could get together, build a touch screen device that behaved exactly like they wanted and then have it built.

These guys are making me reconsider my vow to never write another line of code.

George West
www.wtrs.net

Sounds extremely cool! I wrote some HA software to run on my linksys box, being able to build your own HA hardware controller sounds like fun.

Back