Need some networking help

Rupp

Guys,
I have to replace my DLink router after it died and I replaced it with a Linksys WRT54G. I have an IOGear Network Server Appliance but I only use it for the hard drive access. When it was on my DLink network the devices ipaddress was 192.168.0.122 but after adding my new router I can't access the drive. I reset the device and the default ipaddress is 192.168.2.1 but I still can not see it on my network. The linksys subnet is 192.168.1.x so I can understand not being able to see it. My question is, how can I get into the IOGear to set it's ipaddress to the proper subnet mask range?

Guys,
I have to replace my DLink router after it died and I replaced it with a Linksys WRT54G. I have an IOGear Network Server Appliance but I only use it for the hard drive access. When it was on my DLink network the devices ipaddress was 192.168.0.122 but after adding my new router I can't access the drive. I reset the device and the default ipaddress is 192.168.2.1 but I still can not see it on my network. The linksys subnet is 192.168.1.x so I can understand not being able to see it. My question is, how can I get into the IOGear to set it's ipaddress to the proper subnet mask range?

I would guess the easiest way would be to set your computer statically to an ip address in the same range as the IOGear (e.g. 192.168.2.2 / 24) and then you could login to it and change it's IP to whatever range you'd like. Then you could switch your computer back to DHCP enabled.

Kyle

Connect the drive directly to a computer (neither hooked to network) then type in 192.168.2.1; should come up.

was the dlink your dhcp server? if so, did you enable dhcp on your new linksys? i figure the iogear would be configured by default for dhcp and should get a new address upon rebooting. i would configure the lan side of the linksys to be the same as the dlink was (i assume 192.168.0.x) just the keep things the same.

Guys,

You need to give the NSA an IP address on the same subnet as your network.
Your old subnet was 192.168.0.0, the Linksys default subnet is 192.168.1.0.
Connect the NSA to a pc only, no router. Set the pc's ip address to 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0. No gateway or dns needed.
Then open a browser and go to 192.168.2.1 ( you say this is the NSA's address), set the NSA's address to 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0 gateway and dns will be 192.168.1.1. I always use the last ip of the subnet for static ip's, then count down from there. ie, my server is x.x.x.254, printer x.x.x.253, AP x.x.x.252 etc. Just keeps things neat and leaves the beginning of the subnet for your dhcp pool.

Reset the pc to dhcp, connect all devices to your router and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the help guys. I connected the drive directly to my laptop and assigned it an ipaddress in the same range and I'm back in business. Thanks again.

Back