Need suggestions relocating rg6 cable to new can

dbinaz

ok, I need to move all my video/satellite to a new can. I can't flush mount the can cause of wiring behind the spot beside the existing can. I was thinking of just surface mounting it, punch out a hole in existing can, cut hole in stud, route to new can.
Anyone else have better suggestions?

Also, I have the sheet from the installer that did the pre-wire for the security. The red line isn't marked as to waht it is, but I assume it's for smoke alarm? If so, how do you interpret this.

"31 Smoke: End of line/ In ceiling Bed 3 Hall"
"33 Smoke: Loop By Elec Smoke By MBed in ceiling"

Does that mean there is only one wire for 2 smokes?

Also there is a lamp cord type wire in my can that is not labelled. I think it is this...
"Power: 2 Car L/U Box"
WTH is that?

Also, I can't seem to find the interior siren wire, but the exterior was in the attic, so I mounted the Elk-73 in the attix. Is this ok as it is an indoor speaker? I mounted it close to a vent in the roof for max db.

That's it for now. Almost there!!

D

Attachments

• IMG_1457__Small_.JPG
    IMG_1457__Small_.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 56
Cripes, give us a chance to answer! Unlike Rupp, most of us don't stop by here every 15 minutes. ;)

"31 Smoke: End of line/ In ceiling Bed 3 Hall"
"33 Smoke: Loop By Elec Smoke By MBed in ceiling"
I would interprete the first to mean that the wire ends at the "bed 3 hall" smoke location. The second is a little more iffy. Is there only 1 red wire coming into the can? Also, do you have existing 110V smokes already in the house? If you do have 110V smokes installed, it could mean that the pre-wire installer looped the wire by the 110V unit in the ceiling of the master bedroom, so you could use that unit to tie the LV and HV smokes together.

Got me. Let me down a six-pac or so, and it might make more sense. Do you have a two car garage?

Elk-73 in the attix
Fine. As for the interior siren, some companies don't install interior sirens, instead they use the sounders inside the keypads for interior notification.

sorry, just anxious to get this running.

Yes, 1 red wire and yes 110v detectors exist.

Yes, 2 car garage.

I just read that the interior siren/speaker is also used for voice announcements. Is this the case with this one? Cause I may have to move it then.

I am also getting "NOT READY 16 Zn", how can I find out what 16 zones?

D

Zone 16 can be configured as a regular zone or for 2 wire smokes. You would have to look at the definition in RP or the kpd.

oh... i read it as there are 16 zones messed up, not zone 16 specifically.

in the user manual it states... "Not ready x Zn" where x represents the number of violated zones.

so is it the number of zones or the zone number?

I'm sorry, you are correct - I just read it very fast. The answer is pretty much the same though - you need to check your zone configurations in RP. If you just have normally closed contacts with no EOL, you need to config for normally closed, etc. Thats probably what your issue is.

Hmmm. Sounds like you need to meet your installer in a dark alley with a baseball bat.

It does sound like he's run a single wire for your smokes, with a loop past the pre-existing smokes in the master bedroom, and terminating in "bed 3 hall". I have a major problem with all smokes on a single zone, but that's just me. Dig around the board, as there are mucho discussions on how to hook an alarm into existing 110V smokes.

I think Steve is correct on the zones.

also used for voice announcements
Only if you hook it up as the "interior sounder". I'f it's connected to the "Exterior sounder" terminals, it shouldn't do announcements.

I'm still stumped by the "Power: 2 Car L/U Box". Is the "2" shorthand for "to"? "L/U" = lower/upper? I had my 6-pack, and I'm don't have a clue on the meaning.

dbinaz said:
Also there is a lamp cord type wire in my can that is not labelled. I think it is this...
WTH is that?
Where is your power supply for your panel? Is it in the garage near the Left Upper box?

power is in the box. That "power" cord is not attached to anything in the can. Could it be for the doorbell? That transformer is in the garage.

Could it be for the doorbell?
Doesn't make sense, but then, that's the problem to begin with.

Sounds like you really need to pull out your tone generator/probe, and tone the wire out to find were it ends.

dbinaz said:
ok, I need to move all my video/satellite to a new can. I can't flush mount the can cause of wiring behind the spot beside the existing can. I was thinking of just surface mounting it, punch out a hole in existing can, cut hole in stud, route to new can.
Don't know if this would work for you but if the wall shown is not much larger than in the picture and not public, I'd probably stud out from the surface an additional 3 &1/2" and flush mount both cans on the new surface. I'd cover it with melamine screwed to the studs so that it can be removed. This eleminates any wiring problems and gives you room for additonal expansion. You're not really going to stop with just two cans, are you? ;)

I have a probe, but it's a cheap one. Do the good ones actually go through drywall? I thought you had to physically have the wire in hand to trace?

keepersq:
hmmmm... that's an idea, but seems like a lot of work. This is a brand new house too. The washer/dryer is on the opposite side of the cans, where I took the pic from. Would lose some space for that, although not that much.

Most of the half-way decent probes will pick up through drywall if you get the probe within a foot or so. I've seen one that would pickup through 2" of drywall from 4 ft away, but that was an exception (and $$$). IT also depends on the type of wire. It's easier to tone zip cord than coax.

jlehnert said:
I have a major problem with all smokes on a single zone.
Just out of curiosity, what is your major problem with it? Besides the ability to know which detector went off, especially in a multistory or larger home?

Back