New HD Flag, what's it mean to me?

Micah

Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot about the new Broadcast Flag and see a lot of ranting and raving about it but can anybody break it down into simple terms of what we can expect with the new BF?

Also, because of the grandfather clause allowing old hardware that doesn't support the flag to be supported would buying a HD-Card now, before the flag is put in place even though I don't have cable or sat?

the EFF has some good info about this:

http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/

Basically, it will allow TV broadcasters to decide if you should be able to record a certain show or not. Since they are afraid that people will archive the HD broadcasts instead of buying the season on (lower quality) DVD, they will probably enforce this a lot. You would have to buy your HD card before July 2005 if you want to be 'legal', but I am sure someone will come up with a work around for the broadcast flag anyways.

man, there's only two problems with a glass of Crown Royal. 1st, no matter how full the glass is it always ends up empty and 2nd it makes your posts all kinds of weird.

Sounds like in order to be safe buying the card now is the best bet. I have full confidence in the underground to get past that silly flag but life would just be easier not having to worry about it in the first place.

Thanks for the info.

It's a step in the right direction at least.

Good to hear at least 1 of the 3 judges was vocal against it. Hopefully it'll get struck down.

Back