New to HA

susanc

Hi! I am new to HA. My husband and I are building a new house and I want to add HA to the house. I am an instrumentation engineer, so I am very familiar with sensors, etc. but not sure where to start with the HA.

I want to use hand held controllers, like the Nokia N800s or something slick like that, and I assume I need a back end server to support it. What control sw should I use? I was thinking Z-Wave or Zigbee type sensors but it would be good to get control software that supports mulitple platforms.

How do security systems fit into home automation systems?

Is there a good book I should read?

Any help is appreciated!

The good news is that there's many choices to pick from. I'm sure people will chime in with their particular favorites, the top ones are:
- CQC (I use this, can answer questions about it, not so much for the others)
- MainLobby
- HomeSeer
- vCrib is up&coming & freeware to booot.

I don't personally like N800's, but there's many folks that do with the above packages.

No good books exist, but i wrote up part of my guide here.

Security systems like the Elk integrate by telling your HA system what happened, where (ie, this door or window opened, motion in this room, etc). Then you can do what you want. I do stuff like:
- When armed into ArmAway mode, turn off all lights/stereos/turn down HVAC/etc.
- When armed into ArmStay mode, turn on the outer door maglocks.
- If motion in the entry, turn on light
- If closet opened, turn on light. If the door isn't closed in 15mins, turn off light.
- Use keyfobs like this to have the system turn on the lights when you press the button.

And many many other options.

I don't think you'll find two people who have the same definition of Home Automation. It can be as simple as controlling lighting and appliances to full integration of security, lighting, home-theater, HVAC, and distributed media. I interpret HA as the means to convert a home from "shelter" to an "intelligent machine" tuned to enhance your comfort, entertainment, and security.

Here's an article (PDF file) about life in an automated home. Although written in 2002, it provides a reasonable example of what you can expect from modern HA.

Are you planning to DIY it or are you looking to educate yourself prior to selecting a professional contractor?

What are your expectations? Do you want your home to function like HAL9000 (on a good day) or will a security system and lighting control be sufficient?

A few months ago, I was in the same boat as you are......building a new home and a burning desire to fold in as much automation as seemed reasonable. Initially I was overwhelmed with the numerous technical approaches that were available to address the subject. I also looked for a good book with all the answers and I eventually decided that no such single book exists. Every book I found tended to focus on one or two technical approaches but did not give me the info I needed to decide between approaches. Some of the Dummies books such as "Smart Homes for Dummies" would be a good starting point to get you familiar with the different aspects of home automation (lighting, audio, home theather, security, computers, etc) but it will not give you all the answers. However, it provided me with a lot of info that helped me know where to dig deeper....and I had to do a lot of digging to get my questions answered.

There are a number of forums available to get info and ask questions but some focus on a specific technology so you need to consider that when reading the postings.

You may also find consultants or installer in your area to talk to. I tried that but quickly found out that most typically pushed a specific solution tied closely to products they sell and you need to consider that when you listen to their advice.

In the end, I decided to go with UPB technology along with the HAI Omni Pro II controller because UPB is a robust and growing technology available from multiple vendors and the HAI Omni Pro II controller is a good choice for a DIY person. If you intend to buy everything installed and maintained as a package rather than DIY, you may desire a different approach. Also bring a big checkbook with that approach.

For my house, I worked a deal with my builder that allowed me to let his people do a lot of the basic installation such that I could tie the pieces togther later. My builder will pull all the high voltage and low voltage wire per my direction. I will provide and program all the lighting switches but the licenced electrician will do the installation per my instructions. That avoids food fights with the inspectors. All low voltage stuff will run from my wiring closet to locations per my direction but I will terminate much of it myself or leave for future growth. The security guy will run the security wire and install sensors at doors and windows but I will hook up all wire myself to my controller. My house has not progressed to the wire pulling stage yet but I think of something new I need wire for every day. I am sure I will think of more after it is too late.

Welcome aboard. Good luck and have fun.

Back