Newbie: electronic lock questions

trasko

I am new to the home automation scene and am looking to get my feet wet with an electronic door lock.  I expect to be home-brewing an alarm system with a Raspberry Pi and hope to integrate the lock into it.  I have all sorts of questions which seem dumb to me but for the life of me I cannot find an answer to.  I'll just throw them out there:

1) "Door lock" vs. "deadbolt."  Deadbolts seem more secure to me than a standard knob lock.  Given that most exterior doors have both a deadbolt and turn-knob, what do most people do in terms of electronic locks?  I am thinking most people must have a standard keyed knob and an electronic deadbolt and just leave the knob unlocked all the time.  Is there another option?

2) My house has a security door on the front.  This means 2 sets of door locks or leaving the interior door's locks unlocked at all times.  I'm fine purchasing 2 electronic locks but I'd like them tied together so if one is unlocked the other will unlock.  I figure the home automation controller could handle this, but that means having a lock that both reports and takes commands from such a controller.  All the information I ever find is very much consumer-level.  Does anyone have advice about this?  I would like to retain the locks built-in ability to take punched-in key-codes.  Perhaps I have to implement this myself on the controller and use "dumb" locks?

I feel like I'm trying to do something different than the norm and it's biting me.  I'm not afraid of tinkering and software/hardware work, but I also don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.  Thanks for any help.  This place is a real treasure of information.

Typically the automated lock is the deadbolt. The doorknob is just used to open the door and is non-locking.

On the security door, it sounds like this is something you need to work out depending on the security you need. I haven't ever seen automated locks for security doors, but they do make magnetic locks that work on any doors.  To open both together you could use something like a remote transmitter, or use a cell phone. Both would control a security system, and then it would unlock the door.  If a "security" door really provides the security you need, why lock the second door, or vise versa.  Usually ultra-security doors like this don't deter thieves. They will just find another door or window.  Maybe a good security system with a loud siren might be a better route.

Well the "security" door is honestly a matter of budget.  A single "real" $2k door would be great, but there is a $100 steel security door in front of a mostly-glass standard door (90 years old, mind you).  It sounds like I'm having trouble with my research because this isn't something that people do.

With a good set of Z-Wave locks, I don't see why your automation system couldn't see the status as you unlock the first deadbolt then use that to trigger and unlock of the second - seems reasonable to me.

trasko said:
I've read about people having troubles with the wireless deadbolts and I haven't nailed down if this model is one that announces it's status to a controler when it's opened/closed:

# z-wave one
http://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-Connect-Traditional-Deadbolt-Technology/dp/B004F1B24I/

I like the idea of a pair of those which signal back tp the Raspberry Pi to coordinate opening.  Seems like it'd work fine. 

Here is what that lock will report.  Look on page 8.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/BDHHI/ApplicationNote-UsingASCII-Z-Wave-Locks

If I could redo my system I'd go z-wave via Mi Casa Verde, its cost effective, many companies support it, software is FREE for the most part, and has user created plugins. Down the road you can lighting, tap into a security system, there motion sensors are 4-1. They try and maximize your dollar. My buddy is installing a setup like below so cheap compared to my money pit of costly upgrade chips, programing software, lack of user friendly options, and next to zero support for the DIYer.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-Electronic-909-15-SMT/dp/B001TAO4IY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1375974241&sr=8-7&keywords=zwave+lock

http://www.amazon.com/Mi-Casa-Verde-VeraLite-Controller/dp/B007005364/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375974269&sr=8-1&keywords=mi+casa+verde
trasko said:
I am new to the home automation scene and am looking to get my feet wet with an electronic door lock.  I expect to be home-brewing an alarm system with a Raspberry Pi and hope to integrate the lock into it.  I have all sorts of questions which seem dumb to me but for the life of me I cannot find an answer to.  I'll just throw them out there:

1) "Door lock" vs. "deadbolt."  Deadbolts seem more secure to me than a standard knob lock.  Given that most exterior doors have both a deadbolt and turn-knob, what do most people do in terms of electronic locks?  I am thinking most people must have a standard keyed knob and an electronic deadbolt and just leave the knob unlocked all the time.  Is there another option?

2) My house has a security door on the front.  This means 2 sets of door locks or leaving the interior door's locks unlocked at all times.  I'm fine purchasing 2 electronic locks but I'd like them tied together so if one is unlocked the other will unlock.  I figure the home automation controller could handle this, but that means having a lock that both reports and takes commands from such a controller.  All the information I ever find is very much consumer-level.  Does anyone have advice about this?  I would like to retain the locks built-in ability to take punched-in key-codes.  Perhaps I have to implement this myself on the controller and use "dumb" locks?

I feel like I'm trying to do something different than the norm and it's biting me.  I'm not afraid of tinkering and software/hardware work, but I also don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.  Thanks for any help.  This place is a real treasure of information.

Thanks for all the input.  That datasheet is awesome.

I looked at the Mi Casa Verde and it seems great but I got the impression that most folks thought it was too limiting.  It does seem like it'd be good for my needs, though.

Back