Ole dog needs new tricks - WH-Audio

lhfarm

I have an 8-year old whole house audio setup, using Xantech IR distribution, 4 recievers, and HomeSeer controlling an Slink-e. We have friends who have just built a very large home and want me to duplicate my setup. I've told them I can't since the Slink-e is no longer produced. The only change I have made is to replace a 200 disc CD with ripped CDs.

My friend's new home is wired with "smart wire" (bundled Cat 5/6 and coax). They would like to add some home automation features at some point. The have two home theater areas, already wired for 7.1. They do have speakers in other rooms "home run" to a utility closet. So - big house - they still need 4 or 5 zones in other areas

I'm thinking that 1) there has to have been lots of new ideas in whole house audio and 2) that it likely they will want to share digital music to both PCs (in their respective offices) and to audio devices.

The house is WAY over budget, so money is an issue. They were working with a professional service and couldn't afford their solution. So I'm thinking something that could both work now and grow in the future.

I'm thinking Ocelot and maybe HomeSeer to get them hooked on home automation. I think I can pretty much duplicate what I have. But, as the title says, I'm an old and really feel out of it.

So, what sort ideas would you present to your friends. If I can provide more information, I'll be happy to try.

Thanks,
Barry

What type of Xantech is it?

CQC has RS232 drivers for a few of the Xantech products, i'm using the ZPR68 for bidirectional control & status. Works great, i distribute both ripped CDs and XM with it.

lhfarm said:
I have an 8-year old whole house audio setup, using Xantech IR distribution, 4 recievers, and HomeSeer controlling an Slink-e. We have friends who have just built a very large home and want me to duplicate my setup. I've told them I can't since the Slink-e is no longer produced. The only change I have made is to replace a 200 disc CD with ripped CDs.

My friend's new home is wired with "smart wire" (bundled Cat 5/6 and coax). They would like to add some home automation features at some point. The have two home theater areas, already wired for 7.1. They do have speakers in other rooms "home run" to a utility closet. So - big house - they still need 4 or 5 zones in other areas

I'm thinking that 1) there has to have been lots of new ideas in whole house audio and 2) that it likely they will want to share digital music to both PCs (in their respective offices) and to audio devices.

The house is WAY over budget, so money is an issue. They were working with a professional service and couldn't afford their solution. So I'm thinking something that could both work now and grow in the future.

I'm thinking Ocelot and maybe HomeSeer to get them hooked on home automation. I think I can pretty much duplicate what I have. But, as the title says, I'm an old and really feel out of it.

So, what sort ideas would you present to your friends. If I can provide more information, I'll be happy to try.

Thanks,
Barry
If you do want to get a Slink-E, I have one that has been 'gathering dust' for a while that I'd be willing to sell. PM me if you'd like to go that route.

lhfarm,
MainLobby's MusicLobby3 was designed for exactly that kind of multiPC, Multizone environment. Wouldn't take long to set it up.

Cinemar now sells a multizone IR hardware device called the USBIR6. Also supports the Slinke. So, you have options.

As you might know, it is also the most popular Homeseer plugin (the MLHSPlugin that ties Homeseer and MainLobby together). So, you get to experiment on your friends home and upgrade yours :)

Last we heard from HS, the MLHSPlugin was by far the most popular ever. Now, if the MC took off since then, don't know.

Ah, that's great. :) My info is probably older than yours, which is why I was curious.

Funny thing is, I remember Krumpy thinking he might sell 50 or so plugins (before it was first introduced). :p

Back