OmniLinkBridge to integrate Home Assistant, SmartThings, Node-RED

I’ve done some reading and have installed a bunch of things.  However, don’t recall any need for the MQTT broker, but I’m a newbie at this.  Anyone have an example of the setup for that and how it integrates with OLB?  Thanks!

Download the MQTT plugin and part of that is the installation of the MQTT broker.  Here installed a broker way before tinkering with Home Assistant.  

Here also have an MQTT broker running on a micro travel router modded with OpenWRT and added Python to it.  Runs well.

You can run MQTT broker on Linux, Windows, iOS.  Just about any device that you keep on 24/7.  BTW HA has to run 24/7 and cannot go to sleep if you want to use it for automation.  Here utilize HA Alexia Media plugin to monitor all of the Alexa devices in this house and house #2.

Read the MQTT wiki here ==> MQTT wiki

I am using it today for Wifi switches / devices modded with Tasmota / Espurna...Ring...etc...house #2 automation is all MQTT / locally managed WiFi (Tasmota) switches / locally managed Ring alarm (via cloud)- IE: no X10, UPB, ZWave or Zigbee in house #2. Currently running HA and HS on a Pine64 arm based computer and switching over to an Intel Jetway micro computer.

In the beginning here also utilized Node Red

First generation of the OmniBridgeLink used MQTT.  I was using it with Smartthings hub way long time ago...and before that to sync my OmniPro 2 clock.

For Linux it is:

1 - sudo update
2 - sudo apt install mqtt

Which is different is you are running HASSIO (old name) on a RPi.  

If the endeavor is is a tad high learning curve wise....you can also use Homeseer and the Omni Plugin.  It runs on Windows or Linux.

You can run both Homeseer and the Omni Plugin on an RPi and the Omnilinkbridge without HA talking MQTT.

The Homeseer Omni Plugin works well with the OmniPro panel.

Run them both and see which one you like better.

Can someone help me out and tell me how to trigger the alarm for a certain area using node red on home assistant?   I see this but don't know what object in Home Assistant to pick and what JSON to pass in.

Do I use the alarm area 1 entity and pass in JSON?  I tried to just pass in burglary using the trigger node but I get "Error firing event, home assistant rest api error: Request failed with status code 400"
  area/{number}/alarm/set Activates emergency alarm of area {number} "burglary", "fire", "auxiliary"

Or even better...I have a zigbee open/close sensor on home assistant so if I could tie that to a zone in home assistant so when it opens if the alarm is set it goes off. I replaced a wired magnetic sensor from my omni on a door with a wireless zigbee sensor connected to my home assistant. So if I could tell the Omni if the zone is opened or closed from that wireless sensor and have it think it is still the wired sensor that would be AWESOME!

jtek said:
Can someone help me out and tell me how to trigger the alarm for a certain area using node red on home assistant?   I see this but don't know what object in Home Assistant to pick and what JSON to pass in.

Do I use the alarm area 1 entity and pass in JSON?  I tried to just pass in burglary using the trigger node but I get "Error firing event, home assistant rest api error: Request failed with status code 400"
  area/{number}/alarm/set Activates emergency alarm of area {number} "burglary", "fire", "auxiliary"

Or even better...I have a zigbee open/close sensor on home assistant so if I could tie that to a zone in home assistant so when it opens if the alarm is set it goes off. I replaced a wired magnetic sensor from my omni on a door with a wireless zigbee sensor connected to my home assistant. So if I could tell the Omni if the zone is opened or closed from that wireless sensor and have it think it is still the wired sensor that would be AWESOME!

Did the wired sensor fail? The straight forward solution would be using the wired sensor to the Omni zone, which would also show in Home Assistant as a binary sensor.

Going back to your Node RED question, you will need to use MQTT directly. Use the "change" node to set msg.payload to "burglary". Then use the "mqtt out" node with topic "omni/area/1/alarm_command".

Thank you! That worked great! Is there a command to make the alarm beep like it does when a door is opened?

We were told we couldn't put the wired sensor in the new door because it would void the warranty if we to drill a hole in the frame which is why we switched to the zigbee sensor.

Attachments

• 2022-03-09_12-55-24.jpg
    2022-03-09_12-55-24.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2022-03-09_12-54-50.jpg
    2022-03-09_12-54-50.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2022-03-09_12-54-29.jpg
    2022-03-09_12-54-29.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 5
Here DIY'd a Tasmota ESP relay using MQTT to trigger a zone hardwired to the OP2 panel using a Tasmota 433Mhz hub connected to an outdoor PIR sensor.

I am using tiny Ring Alarm contact switches in one house.  Someone on the HS forum integrated the ring products to the their Homeseer ZWave controller.

I left the automation lines in the panel and initially wrote a short python script running on the panel microrouter for triggering ...then made the trigger self contained in using Tasmota rules.

The Zone trigger is using beeps to the consoles via HAI automation lines and beeps to Homeseer or /Home Assistant - beeps and TTS to Homeseer Speaker and Alexa devices.

Thanks folks for all the insights... I know i'm a little late to the party.. but I deeply appreciate any responses.

THE GOAL:
Trying to integrate my HAI OmniPro2 with 3 expansion cabs into a Raspberry P 4B 4Gb raspbian environment running Docker Portainer with Andreas Spiess IOTstack so that I can integrate in some ESP32 modules around the house.

So many recent updates and this thread has not been touched in a while (and there are over 42 pages-worth of comments)...

The ASK:
IS IT POSSIBLE TO RUN  omnilinkbridge in a Portainer container with the IOTstack?   (I MAY later run Home Assistant from a DIFFERENT Ras Pi)

And which?   I assume delphimon/omnilinkbridge since it says Linux/ARM instead of intel like maximumoverdrive/omnilinkbridge 

There are no instructions with delphimon... Is it the SAME set as maximumoverdrive?

And.. Can I use omnilinkbridge mqtt without a password?  (MQTT is set up now without a login/password)

Are there any tips / steps I should follow that others have already handled?

Thanks

awardblvr said:
The ASK:
IS IT POSSIBLE TO RUN  omnilinkbridge in a Portainer container with the IOTstack?   (I MAY later run Home Assistant from a DIFFERENT Ras Pi)

And which?   I assume delphimon/omnilinkbridge since it says Linux/ARM instead of intel like maximumoverdrive/omnilinkbridge 

There are no instructions with delphimon... Is it the SAME set as maximumoverdrive?

And.. Can I use omnilinkbridge mqtt without a password?  (MQTT is set up now without a login/password)

Are there any tips / steps I should follow that others have already handled?

Thanks

Yes, mqtt should work without a password. It ignores the fields if the username is blank. However I would recommend using credentials for security reasons.

The official docker package is excaliburpartners/omnilink-bridge. I currently only have amd64 architecture images available. I can look at adding an arm image, but it wouldn't include the MySQL ODBC client as they don't provide an arm package. This shouldn't be an issue for your use case. 

I had a few moments to build docker images for arm/v7. These were tested on a raspberry pi 4 and everything appears to be working outside of MySQL. When pulling the docker image with portainer use excaliburpartners/omnilink-bridge:latest 

Curious about seeing a console keypad with OmniLinkBridge.....

Currently utilizing Ring Alarm / Doorbell in house #2 using the Ring to MQTT HA add on.  Recently in the last month seeing the alarm keypad.

Card is defined as:

type: alarm-panel
states:
  - arm_home
  - arm_away
  - arm_night
  - arm_vacation
  - arm_custom_bypass
entity: alarm_control_panel.ring_alarm
name: Ring Alarm

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1540]

Changed the Ring Alarm theme to read easier.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1546]

OmnilinkBridge doesn't show console keypad.

Card is defined as:

type: alarm-panel
states:
  - arm_home
  - arm_away
  - arm_night
  - arm_vacation
  - arm_custom_bypass
entity: alarm_control_panel.in_house
name: OmniPro Alarm

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1544]

Just wondering if I am doing this wrong or is there a way to see the console keypad with the OmniLinkBridge?

For the Keypad console here still using OmniTouchPro (Windows) overlay on Homeseer Touch which works but it would be nice to do this in Linux or with a browser. I can run OmniTouchPro fine in PlayOnLinux.

IE: I put a link in to Homeseer Touch to go to Omnitouch Pro and an exit key to return to Homeseer Touch. Works best in Windows. Touch screens run Homeseer Touch, OmniPro Touch, Squeezplayer, HDHomerun streaming and Homeseer Speaker for SAPI voice fonts.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1545]

@rsw686 / Ryan

Noticed two more updates to the OmniLinkBridge app taking it to now 1.1.14.1.

Do these updates have anything to do with the time update to the panel?

Just asking because I noticed that my panel was 6 or so hours off last night.

All is working well Ryan. Thank you for your continuous support of said app.

@pete_c

There was an issue with the Home Assistant add-on where the logs / time sync were in UTC. The docker container TZ environment variable was not available to the first process launched in the container. I updated the add-on container to use the S6 overlay as shown in the hassio example add-on and it appears to be resolved in 1.1.14.1. The issue was strictly with the add-on, hence the .1 release.

On the alarm keypad, this feature is available as of 1.1.13. Set the configuration mqtt_discovery_area_code_required to the area number you would like the keypad / code entry enforced to arm / disarm.

Thank you Ryan.

I thought it was my HA core updates that had caused the issues relating to time. Thinking there has been 2 in the last two days.

There were many notifications relating to running HA in Ubuntu that cropped up with the updating of HA Core.

The alarm keypad function is working well.

Currently still running HA on Ubuntu and switching it next week to running it in a Virtual Box. I did a test run and used the back up from the Ubuntu instance and restored it to the HA Virtual box. Worked well.

Forgive the inconvenience, I have been using OmniLinkBridge on HA for a long time and I am very satisfied but just on the occasion of the recent release of version 1.1.14.1 I had a malfunction during the upgrade phase; this is the message received: "pull access denied for homeassistant / aarch64-base-debain, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login': denied: requested access to the resource is denied" Someone kindly give me some advice? thanks M

Back