OmniLinkBridge to integrate Home Assistant, SmartThings, Node-RED

rsw686 said:
Joe,

The mySQL connection is only needed if you would like additional logging. I actually haven't tested it on linux with mono. However the mono project has information on setting up ODBC.

For MQTT you need a broker installed like Mosquitto. For OmniLink Bridge the bare minimal configuration would be to define he controller_address, controller_key1, controller_key2, mqtt_server and set mqtt_enabled to yes. The communication between the components looks like this:
Home Assistant <=MQTT Protocol=> Mosquitto <=MQTT Protocol=> OmniLink Bridge <=OmniLinkII Protocol=> OmniPro Controller

On the Home Assistant side you would add the following you your configuration.yaml

mqtt:
broker: localhost (or host/ip)
discovery: true
discovery_prefix: homeassistant

Thanks Ryan,

I am going to be using node-red to communicate with the Bridge. Can you give me a list of topics to subscribe to?

Joe

Joe,   I read above that you are using Homeseer 3. 

The mcsMQTT plugin available will see all of the OmniLinkBridge traffic.  It is like a Mosquitto sniffer.  
Just tag the topics you want to use.  You will see all. 

You just highlight what you want to use similiar to the Homeseer 3 Omni Plugin.  

You can see them with Node Red with debug enabled.  

Use the OmniLinkBridge (enabled) with Home Assistant installed per Ryan's methodology (using Docker) and all Omni panel stuff will be seen.

To narrow the scope a bit use the OmniLinkBridge INI file. Restart the OmniLinkBridge and Home Assitant after you edit the INI file. Edit this section of INI file.

# MQTT
# Can be used for integration with Home Assistant
mqtt_enabled = yes
# This is my broker IP.  You put yours in here.  Port is default.  Username and password is optional.
mqtt_server = 192.168.244.175
mqtt_port = 1883
mqtt_username =
mqtt_password =
mqtt_discovery_prefix = homeassistant

# mqtt_discovery = id=5;device_class=battery
# specify a range of numbers like 1,2,3,5-10
# here you just put in what zones/units you want to ignore when talking MQTT to Home Assistant or Homeseer or Node Red
mqtt_discovery_ignore_zones = 15
mqtt_discovery_ignore_units = 1-16,65-255

# device_class must be battery, door, garage_door, gas, moisture, motion, problem, smoke, or window
# mqtt_discovery_override_zone = id=5;device_class=garage_door
# mqtt_discovery_override_zone = id=6;device_class=garage_door
# This is for specific devices.  Not totally sure yet using it so am not using it.

In Homeseer 3 mcsMQTT you just filter the search for OmniLink and it will show everthing coming from the OmniLinkBridge.

You just accept the variables you want to see or control.

Easy peasey.

Homeseer3mcsMQTT.jpg

In Home Assistant by default it creates variables and controls for all OmniPro panel devices.  There is where you utilize the INI file to adjust what you want to see going out of the OmniLinkBridge.

Testing speeds here between Homeseer 3 Omni Plugin, Smartthings Hub, Home Assistant and Omnitouch screens and Snaplink. Very quick and similiar speeds present.

Ryan's new OmniLinkBridge application / MQTT / Home Assistant has me now tinkering with MQTT and WiFi firmware updatable devices.

pete_c said:
Ryan's new OmniLinkBridge application / MQTT / Home Assistant has me now tinkering with MQTT and WiFi firmware updatable devices.

Are you using Sonoff? I'm waiting for two S31 devices to arrive, but haven't decided on what to flash them with yet.

I also just put together an OpenEnergyMonitor EmonTX Shield with Elego Uno (Arduino clone) board serial connected to a NodeMCU board (has ESP8266 WiFi) running the EmonESP code to send power usage to MQTT. I'm liking the speed/reliability of MQTT/WiFi over Zwave. The EmonTX shield comes disassembled and requires soldering of through hole components.

joe morris said:
Thanks Ryan,

I am going to be using node-red to communicate with the Bridge. Can you give me a list of topics to subscribe to?

Joe

The project GitHub page has a list of the MQTT topics you can publish or subscribe to.

rsw686 said:
The project GitHub page has a list of the MQTT topics you can publish or subscribe to.
Ryan,

Sorry if I am being dense. Are you talking what is documented in the README.md file?

If so, is there a topic for each device? Or a single topic that is "omnilink".

I am a newbee in regards to MQTT, so sorry if my questions are burdensome.

Joe

pete_c said:
Joe,   I read above that you are using Homeseer 3. 

The mcsMQTT plugin available will see all of the OmniLinkBridge traffic.  It is like a Mosquitto sniffer.  
Just tag the topics you want to use.  You will see all. 

You just highlight what you want to use similiar to the Homeseer 3 Omni Plugin.  

You can see them with Node Red with debug enabled.  

Use the OmniLinkBridge (enabled) with Home Assistant installed per Ryan's methodology (using Docker) and all Omni panel stuff will be seen.

To narrow the scope a bit use the OmniLinkBridge INI file. Restart the OmniLinkBridge and Home Assitant after you edit the INI file. Edit this section of INI file.

# MQTT
# Can be used for integration with Home Assistant
mqtt_enabled = yes
# This is my broker IP.  You put yours in here.  Port is default.  Username and password is optional.
mqtt_server = 192.168.244.175
mqtt_port = 1883
mqtt_username =
mqtt_password =
mqtt_discovery_prefix = homeassistant

# mqtt_discovery = id=5;device_class=battery
# specify a range of numbers like 1,2,3,5-10
# here you just put in what zones/units you want to ignore when talking MQTT to Home Assistant or Homeseer or Node Red
mqtt_discovery_ignore_zones = 15
mqtt_discovery_ignore_units = 1-16,65-255

# device_class must be battery, door, garage_door, gas, moisture, motion, problem, smoke, or window
# mqtt_discovery_override_zone = id=5;device_class=garage_door
# mqtt_discovery_override_zone = id=6;device_class=garage_door
# This is for specific devices.  Not totally sure yet using it so am not using it.

Hey Pete,

Yup, I use homeseer. I really like it but my desires are for a more integratable-able solution. 

But, I can use homeseer to test our the omnilink topics as you suggest. 

Thanks

Joe

Are you using Sonoff? I'm waiting for two S31 devices to arrive, but haven't decided on what to flash them with yet.

Started with SonOff WiFi basics with hardware adds of GPIO pins, 3.3VDC and 5VDC voltages for trinkets.  Intially using modded Tasmota firmware written by Michael from MCS.

Slowly have moved here moved here from Tasmota base to Espurna base firmware.

Still using Visual Studio Code / Tasmota Libraries for some Tasmota tweaking but now going to Espurna.

The basic Espurna firmware is easy peasey.  You just upload the firmware to your ESP based device.  First boot comes up as AP.  You change the SSID, enable DHCP or a static IP and the rest including updates is fast and easy.  I like that you can telnet and create a static IP.

With Tasmota you can assign all GPIO functions individually.  With Espurna firmware you need to tweak it a bit to do this.

Recently here installed two sets of LED strips in aluminum tracks with diffusers.  Testing new micro LED drivers inside of the wall switch box and using a regular switch to power on and off the LEDs.  For automation initially installed a SonOff SV board which worked for a while until it burned up.  Using an RGB wifi controller now.  First test was using an H801 WiFi RGB controller.  Easy to work on.  Next just switched over to a Magic Home RGB controller.  Tiny thing and on sale now on Amazon for around $4 each.  Updated it yesterday with Espurna Magic Home RGB firmware.  Worked first time.  Only thing is that you need to solder JTAG wires to tiny pads on board.

Thing is with the already existing el cheapo boards is that you already have a case with it and most and many are using the ESP8266 WiFi stuff.

With the Arduino stuff you have to mount it in a case and it is made to tinker with IE: nodemcu ESP8266 WiFi boards.  

Joe,

Play with all of it at once.  That is what is nice about using MQTT.

New stuff here is Node Red and Home Assistant.  Michael (MCS) has been working on a MQTT Homeseer plugin for around a year now.

While different than xAP and xPL it is a bit like this for use with Automation.

Currently tinkering with one wire Temperature devices connected to a SonOff modded device providing MQTT stuff over to Homeseer.

Very quick updating.  Old analog way was a one wire hub connected to Homeseer seeing one wire sensors.  Using a SonOff wifi basic you can put the device anywhere in your home.

I really like it but my desires are for a more integratable-able solution.

Using an RPi 2-3 you can put it all there....IE: OmniLinkBridge Node Red, Home Assistant, Mosquitto broker and Homeseer.

Here wanting to mount the device inside of the OmniPro 2 media can and make it multiple function using a Rock64 4 Gb computer and Emmc drive.

Functions:
1 - firewall
2 - Homeseer Server
3 - Home Assistant server
4 - OmniLink Bridge
5 - Mosquitto broker
6 - Node Red

All on the same size board as a Raspberry Pi.

rsw686 said:

I wanted to put in a plug for the method shown in the following video. It's the method I've used to flash about 6 different Sonoff devices (basics, S31s, and SVs) with Tasmota. GREAT video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDnNI5wkNNY

pete_c said:
I really like it but my desires are for a more integratable-able solution.

Using an RPi 2-3 you can put it all there....IE: OmniLinkBridge Node Red, Home Assistant, Mosquitto broker and Homeseer.

Here wanting to mount the device inside of the OmniPro 2 media can and make it multiple function using a Rock64 4 Gb computer and Emmc drive.

Functions:
1 - firewall
2 - Homeseer Server
3 - Home Assistant server
4 - OmniLink Bridge
5 - Mosquitto broker
6 - Node Red

All on the same size board as a Raspberry Pi.

Yup, I am working on that now. :)

Still using Microsoft SAPI speech here with the Homeseer speaker client such that the HS3 lite box uses two instances of speaker.exe running on an Oracle Virutal Box Windows server instance.  (4 total instances of speaker dot exe running 4 speech fonts).

Ok, I have everything installed. Home Assistant is not seeing the Bridge devices. 

Do I have to install MQTT add-on in Home ASssitant?

Back