OmniLinkBridge to integrate Home Assistant, SmartThings, Node-RED

Again, it's knot clear what you mean by "reporting". I have motion sensors and input zones of the OPII that show up in Home Assistant both as binary_sensor and sensor entities: as soon as a zone is triggered the binary sensor gets triggered in HA. That's pretty much all the communications that's needed between OPII and HA: with the switch entities in HA I can launch "button" macros on the OPII, and I can get the status of OPII inputs as binary_sensors in HA.
If you need new sensors I highly recommend not to go through the OPII, but finding some that can communicate to the MQTT server you already have setup with something like Tasmota firmware.
Sadly the OPII support is going to decline, and I'd prefer to have something I can keep expanding and improving.

@Tigers
I was specifically thinking about his Jandy RS232 pool controller when it comes to the "buttons" (as they are written in PCAccess) not updating status. The buttons send out commands only and don't report back the pools current status. Thus in HA it just flicks the switch (button) on then back off. In the mean time his pool may be running but he has no idea unless he is watching it.
I can get the status of OPII inputs as binary_sensors in HA.
I'm guessing I would need to custom program in PCAccess some code that would poll the pool's status for the switch to stay on then? I will google around, but if you have an idea or have heard of this let me know.

Also, do you know if there is a way to import OPII "scenes" into HA?
Almost all of his rooms are operated as Upstart's UPB Scenes. These are also setup in PCAccess as UPB LINKs. For example his hallway has 5+ circuits (2 niches, rope light, cans, and a chandelier) and programmed as scene001 "Hallway" in Upstart. Then OP2 knows it as scene001 UPB Link 001. These OP2 scenes didn't import in HA when using Omnilinkbridge. I know I could go re-program all within HA, but they are all already established in UPB/Upstart as scenes and OP2 as a UPB Link "scene." Goal is to have him say "turn on hallway" and it operates the "hallway" scene with all 5 circuits as already programmed. I just thought it would be easier to import than reprogram his 60 or so circuits to match what is already written in UPB(upstart) and OP2 (upb links).

Other options is to get a PIM to ethernet and migrate the upstart export and use the UPB official integration in HA and take the OP2 out of the question for lighting control. I think that way all the scenes would come in pre-programmed I would just have to name them for his voice control.

Sorry I'm so long winded and ping pong around subjects. Really appreciate all the input from everyone! Thanks Cocooner's.

I try to answer:
1. if the OPII has a way to know what the controller is doing then you have a way to pass it on to HA there must be some sort of sensor or a relay with dry contact that you can input to the OPII setting it as an "auxiliary" zone. That's what i do for my water softener salt alert: when the level is low, it closes a zone in OPII, that is then passed on to HA as a binary_sensor. If the OPII doesn't know the state the shortest route is use some smart device capable of talking to the MQTT server and communicate directly the state;
2. Never used scenes in OPII but I guess there's no way to import them, But I think you'll find out that HA scenes are better, but' you'll have to recreate them from scratch; you can, as an alternative you can set up a "button" in HA that triggers the scene and then command it from HA.
3. if the UPB can talk directly to HA and you want to make it the core of your home automation - and I believe you will - then go ahead, that's the best option.

I thought I would post this because I didn't find anyone referring to how to do it.  I have the bridge running on a synology nas docker for my Omni Pro II.  The only thing that was tricky was the volume to map correctly.  

Here are the steps I followed.....
  1. Go into Synology and add docker under the package center
  2. Open Docker and click on Registry
  3. Search for omnilink and pick the excaliburpartners/omnilink-bridge and hit download
  4. Go to Image and click on Launch and keep everything default but don't next yet
  5. Click on Advanced Settings and go to the volume tab
  6. Create a folder in your docker folder on your nas within the file station where your ini file will go.
  7. While still in advanced settings under the volume tab map [yoursynologyfolder]/OmniLinkBridge.ini to the mount path of /config/OmniLinkBridge.ini
  8. Put your OmniLinkBridge.ini into the folder [yoursynologyfolder]
Click on, Next and start the container under the container tab.  When it starts OmniLinkBridge will map the ini it needs to the one you have access to on the NAS.  

To check the status click on the container, select omnilink, click on details and under the logs if it connected you will see all your zones showing up in the logs.

If you are using the web service under overview / details of the docker you will see a port settings section at the bottom.    Use the local port to hit the web service.  For instance if your port says 32790 then the web service is reachable at http://yoursynologynas:32790.

To see if it is working just go to http://yoursynologynas:32790/SetUnit and you should see an XML file error that says Object reference not set to the instance of an object.  That means the web service is running and your good to go.

I also had to fix the time as it is set to UTC - so if your going to sync the time to your Omni this is a little more involved.  I had to bash into the docker from putty, and run a few commands to change it to Eastern and NY for me.  I restarted the docker image after this and it seemed to keep the settings.  Maybe someone has an easier way to do this.  

Hope this helps!

Later,

J

Hey guys - I just installed Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi.  I installed Omnibridge and I got it connected because in the logs I can see its getting all my "stuff".

Problem is I don't know what to do next?  The omnibridge is just installed as an Add-On but I don't see anything or know HOW to add it to the main page?  I am fairly ignorant and messing around so any direction would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Neil

Ok back in the dark.  MQTT Broker and Add-On installed now - but I don't see anything to "do"?

Am I impatient?

Ensure you've configured OLB with the correct credentials so that it "talks" to your MQTT client.

While troubleshooting, you might also want to install MQTT Explorer or similar. It runs entirely apart from HA and provides an easy way to see MQTT data being generated.

Yeah I didn't even have MQTT enabled set to true :) I got that and I used homeassistant.local for my server but that didn't work so now I have 127.0.0.1 but its still not right.  Getting this:

2021-01-21 21:41:39 [OmniLinkBridge.Modules.MQTTModule ERR] Error connecting Connection refused
2021-01-21 21:41:44 [OmniLinkBridge.Modules.MQTTModule DBG] Disconnected
2021-01-21 21:41:44 [OmniLinkBridge.Modules.MQTTModule ERR] Error connecting Connection refused
2021-01-21 21:41:49 [OmniLinkBridge.Modules.MQTTModule DBG] Disconnected
2021-01-21 21:41:49 [OmniLinkBridge.Modules.MQTTModule ERR] Error connecting Connection refused
2021-01-21 21:41:54 [OmniLinkBridge.Modules.MQTTModule DBG] Disconnected

Yes that is what I am playing with now.  What do I use for: mqtt_server =

I was saying I tried homeassistant.local and 127.0.0.1 but neither seems good

Great! In Home Assistant you can see your OmniLink II entities by clicking Developer Tools in the left navigation. On the right, ensure you're looking at Developer Tools. Scroll down the page, and there they should be.

Back