OmniLinkBridge to integrate Home Assistant, SmartThings, Node-RED

Just an FYI relating to HASSIO / Home Assistant updating.

Noticed today that I could not update HASSIO

Last week enabled IPv6 on all LAN devices.

Googled the issue of no updating HA and found that I had to disable IPv6 in order to update HA.

Has anyone been able to get v5.1.1 of the HA Mosquitto broker to work? I've given it like 4 tries and it's just a mess. For instance about an hour ago I upgraded and there's still so much traffic, response time has crawled to a standstill. No exaggeration, clicks will take 5+ MINUTES to finally register. It's unusable. I'm wondering if others of us here have upgraded and are having similar difficulty.

Now I'm off to downgrade back to 5.1 so that my system works again.

How many devices are you using with MQTT?

Here utilize MQTT explorer to watch the traffic and delete old devices.  You can also delete the MQTT broker database to start from scratch.

I continue to utilize the MQTT broker that I installed on the Linux OS (apt install mqtt).

Also, one of the big noews with the latest Mosquitto version is that it does not allow anonymous access to the MQTT server by default. This should not be a problem if you have a HASSIO install, but is a concern for whoever is using the so called "core" install (i.e. a plain Raspberry Pi with python and HA installed on top w/o Docker).

This is normal, well-behaved usage on 5.1. Yesterday trying to upgrade to 5.1.1 I saw thousands more messages.

XrHQehP.png

I am here always deleting MQTT devices.  What happens is that with changes in names et al the old devices remain in MQTT.  This is a bit of a pain to delete with MQTT so for a bit I was just deleting the entire MQTT DB...running both Homeseer and Home Assistant MQTT stuff makes it more of a PITA sometimes.

Here I see my Wink Relay to MQTT that I was testing a week ago and it is off line right now...

Also noticed that my new dual power outdoor Wyze switch wasn't showing up cuz I forget to configure the MQTT on it.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1435]

grantlewis, I'm glad I saw your post.  I had already installed OmniLinkBridge, Mosquitto, and HA and was just about to install the Mosquitto add-on for HA and try it all out together.  Now I think I'll wait for the next version, at least.

There are several significant issues logged against 5.1.1 on GitHub.

-Tom

Wait, now I'm confused after reading through earlier parts of this thread.

OmniLinkBridge and Mosquitto are working, which I know because I see constantly updated messages from the Omni in MQTT Explorer.  HA is working, which I know because I can control Insteon lights through the interface, since I installed the Universal Devices ISY994 integration.

Nothing from the Omni is showing up yet in the HA interface  I was assuming that's because I need to install the Mosquitto add-on.  Is that correct?  What about the MQTT integration?  Is that needed?  And I read about an OmniLinkBridge add-on.  I can't find such a thing.  The Add-on store has a ton of stuff in it, but not that.

Everything is running on one Win7 box, including HA, which was installed as a VirtualBox VM.

-Tom

This may help: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/mqtt/broker/

The MQTT integration in Home Assistant needs a broker to talk to. That's what Mosquitto MQTT broker add-on is. You don't have to run that broker, but you do need a broker. Currently v5.1.1 of the recommended broker has issues. OmniLink Bridge is software that facilitates MQTT conversations between your Omni and a broker. So when those three are all working -- OmniLink Bridge, the MQTT Home Assistant integration, and an MQTT broker -- then your Omni is able to magically interact with Home Assistant.

Supposedly you can run OmniLinkBridge by installing it via Home Assistant (Supervisor in the left navigation, Add-On Store, Search for and install OmniLink Bridge). I have mine installed as a Docker container. Instructions are available here: https://github.com/excaliburpartners/OmniLinkBridge

Edit to say v5.1 of the recommended broker (the version prior to 5.1.1) is rock-solid for me.

Thanks.  So I did have it kind of right.  Since I have OmniLinkBridge (henceforth OLB) and Mosquitto working together, all I need is the broker to have the Omni start to show up in HA.  I'll wait for the 5.1.1 bugs to be squashed before installing it.

Since posting, I found the OLB repository and added it to my library, but didn't install it.  If I understand you correctly, I don't need to, since I already have OLB running natively in Win 7.  Please correct me if any of this is wrong.

-Tom

With the recent loss of Haiku I'm leaning more on HA for my daily house control. I've noticed there is no control of Humidity under the thermostat card. I'm using Omnistat Rc2000s in the house, which previously under Haiku I could control the Humidity. I see the Entity is read through MQTT as I can view the relative humidity in the home, however I am unable to control the humidity through the RC2000. Has anyone accomplished this or am I missing something obvious?

Thx!

CB

I see the same with my OmniStat RC1000 in the OmniLinkBridge.  Here still using SnapLink with Android 11.X and it works fine for me.

grantlewis:

I've been waiting for an new version >5.1.1 of the broker to show up, without the problems you've seen.  I'm not seeing one.  Did you log an issue on GitHub?

-Tom

Back