Omnipro network issues

Or do my quickie fix to put a microrouter between the Omni network port and the rest of the network.

The managed switch and Hub did not work for me. Only the Router solution worked.

Microrouter DIY for use with the Omni Pro Panel Ethernet port

No OmniPro networking issues here for many many years.
I think im gonna try this and see if this will work. Cause you wouldn't guess what happened today. I came in and everything was working properly, and normally we do a reset on the modem Saturday mornings due to frame dropping issues we normally have. I do the reset and the panel stops communicating again.

@RobinsonNi im getting activity on the port steadily whenever its connected and it looks like the actual terminals might not be affected but the top two clips are broken (or something like that)

I'm at my wits end at this point. I ran everything thru the router and got it back working but still everything is extremely intermittent.

Here are the issues i'm still having

• My Touchscreen on the wall isn't working, its stuck in a loop of (Connecting, please wait/Retrying)
  • My Dealer PC Access can connect to it, but it doesn't stay connected for more than 5-10 mins before it goes Offline and disconnects.
  • My Home Assistant has intermittent connectivity using OmniLinkBridge, it will throw me a ton of [OmniLinkBridge.Modules.OmniLinkII WRN] Controller Status: Retrying and then it will populate the information and connect it sometimes.
  • On the in-between router, the ip address for the OL doesn't even show up as a connected device.

Idk what to do at this point, and i'm down for anything i just want it to be fixed.

Which router did you end up using, and which ports do you have connected? Can you confirm the speed/duplex it's connected at?

Its a Linksys E2500, i have it essential setup like this

comcast modem > e2500 > op

in the router ports 1 and 3 have the omni pro and a computer.

the router is a 10/100 but i cant confirm the duplex

Either I missed something (apologies if I did, it's late :)), you don't have a router isolating your OP.

Is your modem in bridge mode (meaning the WAN IP address is sitting on your Linksys)? It looks like you just switched out the Ubiquity router with the Linksys? If that's the case, I would put your Ubiquity back the way you had it, and plug your E2500's WAN port into the LAN side of the Ubiquity router. Then plug the OP into the LAN side of the E2500, and set up port forwarding on the E2500 to grant access to your OP to devices located on the WAN side of the E2500 (which is your LAN side of the Ubiquity). Your computer etc would be plugged in to the LAN side of the Ubiquity.

This will isolate all broadcast traffic from the OP. Of course, I've had E2500 series go bad on me as well, so that's another variable to keep in mind.

No more late night posting for me lol. I would move your desktop to 192.168.1.x network (at least for testing), in case that machine is generating traffic which may be causing this. So the WAN port of that Linksys has a 192.168.1.x address correct?

Yes the router has the 192.168.1.253 (Which used to be the OP ip address). And it's two computers in the drawing, one on each side. I removed the one thats in the same router as the panel to see if that will help when i was testing but i didn't see any difference.

We're planning to do some overhaul on our system in the coming weeks, but idk if thats going to change the main issue. I genuinely don't know what to do at this point.

The one thing i could say is we do have a list of automations setup on the panel, but i'm not sure what specifically what to look for. If any of you guys are free to maybe do a remote session or anything i would be down with whatever.

After you removed that desktop from the OP network, did you reboot the OP again to clear any errors/bad states?

Can you plug in your Windows machine again into the OP network?
  1. Try netstat -s to capture your stats
  2. Run ping -t ip.of.op and let it run for a while. Share output here please.
  3. Run netstat -s again to see if the error counters increased
If you have experience with Wireshark, it may be worth taking a look at that as well, especially while you're pinging. While you can't see much data, it may reveal network issues if they're severe enough, despite the lack of port mirroring etc.

And just to take out one more variable, do you have another spare/old router which isn't that Linksys model, ideally something which wasn't plugged in during this storm (in case of a bad power supply).

Do you have any hubs (not switches) laying around? It could help with your Wireshark analysis since these broadcast all traffic to all ports. While they're only half duplex, it's older hardware, and might be worth a shot.

Can you plug in your Windows machine again into the OP network?
  1. Try netstat -s to capture your stats
  2. Run ping -t ip.of.op and let it run for a while. Share output here please.
  3. Run netstat -s again to see if the error counters increased
If you have experience with Wireshark, it may be worth taking a look at that as well, especially while you're pinging. While you can't see much data, it may reveal network issues if they're severe enough, despite the lack of port mirroring etc.

And just to take out one more variable, do you have another spare/old router which isn't that Linksys model, ideally something which wasn't plugged in during this storm (in case of a bad power supply).

Do you have any hubs (not switches) laying around? It could help with your Wireshark analysis since these broadcast all traffic to all ports. While they're only half duplex, it's older hardware, and might be worth a shot.
Okay I'm sorry about the late reply i tried to get everything together to answer all the questions.

So i was able to run the netstat before and after, and that's attached along with two ping tests and i saved the wireshark data of what it looked like while i was doing the ping test if that would be helpful. I hope this is enough information to guide you in the right direction.

Also the e2500 was never apart of the network before, i brought it from my house and installed it here fresh. I bought a tp-link archer c7 that im going to try to use tomorrow to replace the e2500 and see if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• netstat after.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
  • netstat before.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 2
  • ping test 2.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 1
  • ping test.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 1
Only reason I mentioned the e2500 as a variable is due to my own bad experiences (both software and hardware bugs). It's most likely not an issue, but the more variables we can eliminate, the better. 87% packet loss in the pings is pretty bad, and explains why you're having so many connectivity issues.

How long was the time frame between the before and after netstat output? IPv4 packet counter went up by over 300,000 packets which would be quite the jump if this is an isolated network with little time in between. Could be some sort of broadcast/multicast storm.

The Wireshark capture could prove to be very useful here. I don't mind taking a look, but for privacy reasons, upload it as a password protected zip and send a the password to me via PM (many search engines are indexing this site continuously). If others want to take a look, all they have to do is ask you for the password.

When you say the top 2 clips are broken, which part are you talking about? 2 of the 8 pins? A bad port/connection could cause these type of issues as well.

How long was the time frame between the before and after netstat output? IPv4 packet counter went up by over 300,000 packets which would be quite the jump if this is an isolated network with little time in between. Could be some sort of broadcast/multicast storm.
It was about 15-20 mins in-between them not a very long time to be honest.
The Wireshark capture could prove to be very useful here. I don't mind taking a look, but for privacy reasons, upload it as a password protected zip and send a the password to me via PM (many search engines are indexing this site continuously). If others want to take a look, all they have to do is ask you for the password.
Just pmmed you but the file is attached let me know if thats what your looking for
When you say the top 2 clips are broken, which part are you talking about? 2 of the 8 pins? A bad port/connection could cause these type of issues as well.
I'm going to take a video and post it here so you can see the extent of whats going on

Attachments

• Wireshark During Ping.zip
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
Back