Omnistat2 cause for divorce

abernut

Hey guys.,
I have been running an Omnistat2 down stairs and a regular Honeywell upstairs with no issues.
I found an Omnistat2 on ebay for $150 so I grabbed it and installed it using the same wiring configuration as downstairs, set the address to "2", and configured it in PC Access.
In the settings both are set to conventional.

I set the heatpoint to 72 and went to bed.
When we woke up this morning it was 76 and the heat was still blowing.  I turned it to off and as of 5 minutes ago, it is still blowing hot air.

I'm going to just kill the power to the main unit to get this to stop for now but what could be the problem?

Here are pics of the setup
2015-12-04%2015.06.41.jpg

Untitled.jpg

2015-02-05223844.jpg

Sounds to me that the thermostat is following its own schedule.  It will do this if you leave the Omnistat 2 scheduling enabled and control it via the OmniPro 2.

Omnistat2 installation manual quote:

REMOTE SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS
This thermostat has been preprogrammed with energy saving program schedules. When used with a remote system, HAI recommends that the Program Mode be configured as “None” or “Occupancy”. This will disable the internal program schedules.

I also had a similiar issue with Homeseer 2 / serial OPII plugin going willy nilly with the thermostat many many years ago.  I disconnect the software plugin thermostat functions when this occurred.  IE: I would walk in to the house and the thermostat setting would be pegged to 90 °F in the winter.  It was very low on the WAF.

It was already set to None.
I also saw a bunch of minimum run times but that wouldn't explain it running all night.

Yeah it is set on the Omnistat.

Are you doing any software connectivity to the OPII panel that manages or does anything with the Omnistat 2?

I do not know what you have connected to your OPII panel relating to software (serial or network based).  Maybe a reset of the OmniPro2 and Omnistat2 might help you.

Check your OPII panel thermostat related automation code stuff too.  I have by accident created circular blind loops that don't do anything but cause me grief.

I have remote temperature and temperature and humidity sensors attached to the OPII panel and remote temperature sensors attached to the Omnitstat 2 these days. 

Mostly though just look and do not touch stuff these days.  Wife has learned and uses the Omnitouch thermostat stuff and never looks/touches the thermostat these days.

As mentioned above my original Homeseer 2 serial plugin trashed my RC80 thermostat stuff years ago.  I quit using the updated Homeseer HAI OPII plugin because of that and it was very low on the WAF (divorce like).

Whenever I questioned the issues on the Homeseer Omnipro 2 forum section I was told to just move the serial Omnistat RC80 interface over to Homeseer which I never wanted to do.

Have a read at the thousands of posts there on Homeseer.  The issues were all the same; literally.

It doesn't do that today.

Another thing here was when I started to have OPII networking issues; first thing I noticed was the clock going off by minutes in a day and piss poor lackluster serial transport to my thermostat and Omnitouch screens. 

Have a look in the HAI section here of the forum specifically my posts relating to the network port issues on the OmniPro 2.  IE: If I disconnected my network port then the Omnistat, Omnitouch 5.7 serial consoles and time would be fine.

I didn't pay attention to the Russound serial port connection much because I was using the keypads more than the Omnitouch screens.

I opened up HAI tickets related to my Omnistat2 thinking it was an issue with it.  HAI CS and tech support was great.

HAI did send me 2-3 of them replacing the one I had. It never did fix the issue until I redid my HAI OPII network port connection.

How does the status page in PC access for thermostats look like? Does it indeed show heat point 72? What is the current temp? And how does that correlate with what the thermostat display shows?

Here looking at the PCA status page of the Omnistat2 and comparing it to the Omnitouch 5.7 serial connection was how I put 1 + 1 together relating to my serial com issues that related to my network port issues that related to my time syncing issues.

While in PCA look at the status on the bottom of the page relating to network connectivity.  It should never disconnect; not even once while you are in PCA.

I'm going to just kill the power to the main unit to get this to stop for now but what could be the problem?

Disconnecting your panel and letting the thermostat runs without the serial port connection will validate or prove if it is an issue with the Omnistat or OPII panel. 

Make sure you reset the Omnistat2 before disconnecting it.  My guess is that it will work fine on its own. 

Call up HAI / Leviton and open a ticket.  They will do the doo of Omnistat2 diagnostics with you on the phone.  I have done this before.

Just a guess here.  Do not shut off your panel and leave the serial port connection to your thermostat in place.  Reset the thermostat and disable local control of the thermostat.

Set your time on the OPII panel. Disable ALL automation Omnistat 2 programming lines via PCA.  Disconnect the ethernet port on the OPII panel.   Leave it for a day and see what happens. 

I have utilized the PCA serial port connection here to test my issues with OPII NIC. PCA works fine with the serial connection.   I did move the serial port connection to a serial ethernet server to test it from wherever.

Look at your OPII stuff via your serially connected keypad.

The keypad view is primitive but you do see all your connected thermostat stuff.

One more piece of information, not sure if it is relevant .
In PC Access > Status/Control > the upstairs thermostat shows "0" for the Current reading

In PC Access > Status/Control > the upstairs thermostat shows "0" for the Current reading

This is exactly what I saw with my Omnitouch 5.7 screens and the OmniKeypad and PCA when I started to get the network issue and did result in replacment of the Omnistat 2 a few times and the new Omnistat 2's didn't fix my issue.

It was not related at all to the Omnistat.  That said my guess if you disconnect the Omnistat from the OPII it will function just fine. 

I am guessing too that you the LV serial wires from the thermostat to the OPII haven't been shorted or damaged in any way.

It was related to the Omni serial bus on the OPII becoming disfunctional when the network interface messed up.  (along with the time sync stuff and the beginning of network issues / disconnects).

As mentioned above:

1 - validate the function of the Omnistat without a serial connection to the OPII panel.
2 - connect your Omnistat to your OPII panel and warm reset the OPII
3 - leave the serial port connection to your thermostat in place. 
4 - Reset the thermostat and disable local control of the thermostat.
5 - Set your time on the OPII panel.
6 - Disable ALL automation Omnistat 2 programming lines via PCA. 
7 - Disconnect the ethernet port on the OPII panel.  
8 - connect PCA via a serial port and watch the thermostat status via PCA
9 - Leave it for a day and see what happens without the NIC connection.

Back