Open Source HA software

weird_ideas

Does anyone know of any open source HA software besides LinuxMCE and Pluto varieties?

I looked at the "The Ultimate Home Automation Software List" but surprised there's not more out there.

LinuxMCE and Pluto might be the most evolved but looking for something different I guess.

Any input would be great.

I work on the LinuxMCE team... Give it a try. We're currently around 50% with getting the HAI panels compatible, but running into road blocks due to not have access to the hardware. We hope to overcome this issue soon.

While I'm a big fan of Open Source (admittedly new to it, see this recent blog entry), I feel that none of the offerings available now are guite "there" yet. My personal opinion is that Open Remote is on the right track, though. Unfortunately, most OS options are either lacking in functionality or are fugly. Just my opinion.

I also know the guys at Open Remote (the president lives near me). They're also doing great work... I agree that many of the FOSS automation projects aren't as easy/user friendly as the commercial offerings, but I think we're at a point where users can seriously begin to consider FOSS projects as complimentary offerings (i.e. LinuxMCE and HAI).

Does anyone know of any open source HA software besides LinuxMCE and Pluto varieties?....
....... Any input would be great.
We have a health club not far from where I live that has valet parking. To me... saving myself a walk across the parking lot on the way to a thread-mill... sounds odd.

I mean no offense to anyone... but IMHO using Linux for Home Automation... also sounds odd (and in much the same way). I just never really have been able to understand the concept.

Does anyone know of any open source HA software besides LinuxMCE and Pluto varieties?....
....... Any input would be great.
We have a health club not far from where I live that has valet parking. To me... saving myself a walk across the parking lot on the way to a thread-mill... sounds odd.

I mean no offense to anyone... but IMHO using Linux for Home Automation... also sounds odd (and in much the same way). I just never really have been able to understand the concept.

Using Windows for Home Automation sounds odd to me. No windows machine I've ever had has been rock solid stable, and if it's controlling my house, then it needs to be rock solid stable. Everyone has different needs for Home Automation, and closed source products make you rely upon product manufacturers to add the functionality you want, and you're at their mercy. I know some of the products have a plugin architecture, but it makes more sense to me to use a platform like Linux or BSD, or even OSX that is more flexible when it comes to interfacing with strange devices and scripting capabilities. Many of the windows programs I've played with doesn't even run as a service, which means I need to log into the box and launch manually or run from my startup folder. Lame.

socat for Windows? It exists, but through Cygwin. Perl for windows sucks, I've found some functions that don't work properly and have to be coded differently.

Also, because I work in the network security industry, I religiously apply security updates. Rebooting a windows box once a week for updates is annoying. The only time you reboot a linux box for updates is when you update the kernel.

.... Using Windows for Home Automation sounds odd to me. No windows machine I've ever had has been rock solid stable, and if it's controlling my house, then it needs to be rock solid stable.
But Windows has been pretty stable since ME (2000). That's been a decade now. Linux has improved since then too... linux was only fit for teenagers bedrooms back then.

But your home is already controlled by Microsoft Products. Your phone company, the power company, cable TV, fire, police, ALL hospitials... if your American.. even your Defense Dept and Homeland Security is windows.

Home Automation WORKS on widows products. I know many successful windows Home Automation users.... including myself.

.... Using Windows for Home Automation sounds odd to me. No windows machine I've ever had has been rock solid stable, and if it's controlling my house, then it needs to be rock solid stable.
But Windows has been pretty stable since ME (2000). That's been a decade now. Linux has improved since then too... linux was only fit for teenagers bedrooms back then.

But your home is already controlled by Microsoft Products. Your phone company, the power company, cable TV, fire, police, ALL hospitials... if your American.. even your Defense Dept and Homeland Security is windows.

Home Automation WORKS on widows products. I know many successful windows Home Automation users.... including myself.

Well, keep in mind that companies running mission critical apps in most cases are using redundant machines, clusters of boxes, load balancing, virtualization, snapshots, backup schemes, or any combination thereof to keep things running. As much as I would like to have an ESX cluster and SAN both at my house and my colo facility with block level replication, I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon. :)

I've been using various forms of unix on a daily basis for nearly 20 years. When I sit down at a windows machine, I often find myself wondering how the heck anyone does any real work with them. Although, my needs are different than most people's. But, I can tell you that I'm seeing a lot of companies replacing Windows servers with linux. The healthcare industry is still pretty heavily dependent on server applications that run on windows, and the ones that don't are on solaris or are really really old and run on mainframes. I know of at least one cable company that I did some work for that didn't have a single windows box in their server room, everything was linux (about 5 years ago), including their VoIP provisioning system for their digital phone service. And, I used to work for DoD, and while they did use windows, they also used a LOT of other stuff.

From about 1996 to 2000, I was strictly a Unix sysadmin. It was just me, managing just over 100 machines at one point. The windows sysadmin team had about the same number of boxes, but there were 6 of them. They ran around like chickens with their heads cut off putting out fires. The only time I ran around like that was when a drive blew up or an exploit was made public in some app I was running and I had to patch. Since I sat around doing nothing most of the day, they made me join the network team also and I just tended to the unix stuff in the rare event it needed attention.

I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that windows is more stable than unix. But, I will give you this, developing a large application for windows is much easier than developing a large application for unix. And windows programmers are a dime a dozen, so companies don't have to worry so much about their guys getting hit by buses. But development tools for unix have progressed a lot over the past few years, and it's possible to develop the majority of your app on windows or on OSX and port it to whatever flavor of unix you prefer. Plus, the Eclipse environment is great to develop in if you're into the whole Java thing.

I will also agree that home automation does clearly work on windows. But, I still reserve the right to think it would work better on linux or some flavor of BSD. At least, I know it would work better for me since I know how to quickly piece together the right tools to accomplish some bizarre task.

A dedicated Windows PC, 'locked down', will function well. When you start web surfing on the machine, things go to crap within a few years, forcing a re-install or a new system.

Personally I believe that Linux/Unix has evolved over the years becoming much more robust / stable than Windows. For mission critical applications and devices its still the choice of OS's. IE: Take a load balancer, firewall, SAN, switch or router base OS.

My HTC mobile phone would be much more stable running flavors of Linux than todays much evolved Windows Mobile. (maybe Google's Android). Sometimes I've noticed when Linux or Unix applications start to become more MS Windows like is when they start to have problems/issues.

A linux base / kernal makes up many of today's consumer appliances. Historically all of my pure HW(?) media center devices are all based in Linux - OmniFi, Roku, etc . I have been into CarPC's now for over 10 years and much if not all of the base OS for these have been Windows but am now testing a CarPC based in Linux which will be using an identical interface but be much more robust/stable.

I haven't done any type of programming in many years. A long time ago did play with ML / compiler's. It was great with the ability to utilize kernal calls at this level.

Today CPU, Memory and basic kernals have become bloated and so indeed has the overhead of said OS/Applications that you do always see issues. Windows / networking is much more stable today than when introduced in Windows for workgroups...but along the same lines first Windows servers (Windows 4.X ) base networking was from Unix. Novell's networking OS was much more stable and robust at the time and it took many years for MS Windows to catch up.

Relating to medicine / medical offices the first automation was based in Unix with one Unix server and multiple terminals. Other than maybe a HW issue the OS never broke. It was only one box to fix (the server).

So ideally a Linux based HA server would serve its needs and never break - terminals could be simple browser based touchscreens or more evolved management "stuff". This would bring HA into the mainstream of a plug n play consumer device. Many folks today are familiar with Windows and welcome the ability to use Windows to manage their home. On the same note people are now used to plug n play do all never break devices that they never touch. A Linux based HA server would be for the folks that only care about plugging it in and only care maybe setting up a schedule but never having to worry about the OS running it. Setting up a new powerline switch, learning how to set it up without the need to worry about the underlying OS management of said switch would be much faster and easier for the consumer that figuring out why the OS doesn't want to speak to the basic underlying transport to the powerline switch.

Ideally a touch screen with using POE should just be a basic network appliance and nothing more. IE: Kodak wireless picture frame - its just a linux based HW device that's simple and only does one thing. I would prefer to use my MediaGate multimedia "appliance" with 1TB of music/videos/stills than my Windows based MCE box. My Tivo(s) versus an MS based DVR (IE MCE). They just work and offer the basics and that's really all I care about. My NAS boxes based in BSD/Linux are much more stable and offer only the basics of NAS and that's all I care about.

Does anyone know of any open source HA software besides LinuxMCE and Pluto varieties?
Any input would be great.
I am not sure I was clear in what I meant. I didn't really mean to comment about the OS of choice. My comment was on Home Automation.

Many people only use HA to solve a problem. Like they want to turn the lights off from the bedroom. Or they don't want to enter a dark home... and want lights on a timer.. or controlled my a remote or motion.

Some people enjoy the automation... maybe... like people enjoy a hobby. Or like myself.. it's more than a hobby.. it's a lifestyle.

But as a serious user of Home Automation I know a good, solid, attractive, reliable setup requires a lot of planning, engineering and actual handwork. Although no real Home Automation system can function without a processor, memory and software... the same can be said about the required hardware (and it's MANY flavors) needed for automation. Nether for that matter... can we have Home Automation without copper wire.

But the software part... at this point in time... is (or can be) a whole hobby in (and of) itself. If there was plenty of non-windows software to actually accomplish what you think you might want... you wouldn't have posted the same original post. Even a windows user... who can find GIGS of automation software... often finds a need for more, or new software. Non-window users often merely entertain a software writing hobby... when they try Home Automation.

Like my original comment... I have to wonder: Is the intention to actually work out in the gym... or just be seen in the health club?

I always wonder if the linux posts are really more about publicly demeaning an American Corporation that sells products world-wide... than anything else.

First off the Windows vs Linux vs ?? debate is one that will go on forever. Just like Ford vs Chevy, Coke vs Pepsi, Zig-bee or Z-Wave, Crestron or AMX or any other comparison. Both have pros and cons. Everyone has an opinion. Try to get a Mercedes guy to go to BMW. You're wasting your time. Its more about what element you're comfortable with. Many software's are developed in one environment then ported to another, many times for cost. Think Adobe with MS and MAC. I run systems on Windows or Linux sometimes both. These systems are a bit larger and complex then a traditional home automation system. (Building and factory automation systems) It jus depends on what we're looking to do at that point in time and what solution is the best.

Anyways, back to the original post.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to look into all of these further.

Any additional input is appreciated.

In my opinion, part of the problem is the money factor. The fact is that while I respect and appreciate the open source movement, a volunteer base of developers have, thus far, been unable to create a Linux/OS based option that has even the beginnings of an attractive interface. The fact is that UI matters a great deal. To my knowledge, there has only been one Linux based home automation system ever deployed that was both functional and, to many, attractive and easy to use. That was Convergent Living. Nothing else has come close and keep in mind that it was Linux based but, not OS. There was money behind it and thus, GUI was given more than cursory consideration. The only development I currently see that has the potential to bridge that gap is Open Remote and they're still A LONG WAY off. Mr. House, Myth, etc. all look like $hit no matter how well they may or may not work. Were I still a dealer, there is NO WAY I would even consider offering clients any Linux based flavor at this point. My point is that, for the DIY'er with little interest in WAF, go OS. If you're married, want a system that's elegant or appreciate design, take another route. Hopefully, time and hard work will change this...

Like my original comment... I have to wonder: Is the intention to actually work out in the gym... or just be seen in the health club?

I always wonder if the linux posts are really more about publicly demeaning an American Corporation that sells products world-wide... than anything else.

No.

Actually got "stuck" once with Mr. Bill sitting next to me on a "public" airline for a flight from Atlanta to Chicago in 1995. He plane broke down and he needed to get to Chicago right away. It was an interesting conversation we had. Funny though I was waiting to get to Chicago on a very early morning flight....no one but me and a couple of other folks ever arrived at the gate. I got on the plane and it was literally empty. About 10 minutes before taking off it filled up - the "entourage" filled the plane. Freaked me out a bit....

Back