Open Source HA software

Actually got "stuck" once with Mr. Bill sitting next to me on a "public" airline for a flight from Atlanta to Chicago in 1995. He plane broke down and he needed to get to Chicago right away. It was an interesting conversation we had.

I owned a computer (of sorts) BEFORE Bill gave the world DOS. I know first hand what he did for communications and computers. We had an Internet before Mr Gate's... and it sucked. His creation... Microsoft has brought to America and the free world tremendous wealth and knowledge... and many hate him for that. Forgive me my concerns of those who hate.

I would think more people would want to erect statues of the man.

"I would think more people would want to erect statues of the man. "

We did more than that...we gave him billions of dollars because we value his (his company's) creations.

He has enough money to build his own statue :)

If I am understanding it right, he chooses to now spend his time more benevolently.

If I am understanding it right, he chooses to now spend his time more benevolently.

Yes... in a truly American tradition, he has committed most [of the vast wealth] he accumulated to help others. Yet a very vocal and sizable percentage of the population find reason to hate him.

It's interesting that this has turned into an OS debate - I went back and read the OP and it only requests opensource HA software and does not mention an Operating System preference. With that said, does anyone know of any opensource Windows-based HA software?

BTW, no matter the OS - if it isn't OS2 Warp, it sucks. :)

Terry

I remember OS2 Warp. IBM tried to have a jump on Windows 95. I installed it. It worked but very difficult cuz IBM didn't think of including a variety of HW drivers.

I personally went to a C64 then an Amiga.....helped convert a TV station with manual stock flippers over to an Amiga Application even pulling down satellite broadcasts with the Amiga....

I don't know of any open source MS Windows HA software....but haven't looked in a while....

As roussel stated, the OP wanted information on open source "HA" related software. No problem debating operating systems :horse: but please, let's start a new thread on that topic so the OP can get his topic related info here! ;)

As roussel stated, the OP wanted information on open source "HA" related software. No problem debating operating systems :horse: but please, let's start a new thread on that topic so the OP can get his topic related info here! ;)

www.OpenSourceAutomation.com

Windows .NET based,
Fully Open Source,
Full API/SDK for .NET (plugins can be made in like 5 minutes with the API)

From the creator of vCrib, written 100% from scratch...

Vaughn

I owned a computer (of sorts) BEFORE Bill gave the world DOS. I know first hand what he did for communications and computers. We had an Internet before Mr Gate's... and it sucked. His creation... Microsoft has brought to America and the free world tremendous wealth and knowledge... and many hate him for that. Forgive me my concerns of those who hate.

I would think more people would want to erect statues of the man.
You and I have very different recollections of the times. I recall his monopolistic ways and watched as he bought out and destroyed many useful companies. We certainly wouldn't have open source if left to his company's ways. Oh, I was using OS9 (on a 6809 computer), multi-tasking & multi-user. Boy, DOS was major step backwards!

And on the open source subject: MisterHouse hopefully I'll have ZigBee working with MH in a few months (and maybe better Z-Wave than the Leviton RS232 interface). I still need to work on a bunch of the documentation to clarify installs and first time use.

OTOH, we should all be grateful to Mr. G. Without MS, IBM and the PC revolution competition which spurred development of new technologies, we'd all be using the Apple XIII or sitting in front of dumb terminals.

OTOH, we should all be grateful to Mr. G.  Without MS, IBM and the PC revolution competition which spurred development of new technologies, we'd all be using the Apple XIII or sitting in front of dumb terminals.
Hmm, I'm not so sure. It would have been BSD instead of Linux and no brain-dead x86 architecture to deal with. There were a lot more exciting things available than the PC when Wintel fell into place. Like I said I was working with multi-user/tasking system before the PC and Unix was moving toward business with the 68K. There were graphics, and much better than Hercules and CGA. The big question is whether it would have moved forward at the same pace. That I can't answer.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. It would have been BSD instead of Linux and no brain-dead x86 architecture to deal with. There were a lot more exciting things available than the PC when Wintel fell into place. Like I said I was working with multi-user/tasking system before the PC and Unix was moving toward business with the 68K. There were graphics, and much better than Hercules and CGA. The big question is whether it would have moved forward at the same pace. That I can't answer.

Without MS offering an OS that was easy to use, everyone would have just used Apple, BeOS, or NeXT. A good portion of people are using Apple's OSX now, which, has its roots in NeXT because when Jobs went back to Apple, NeXT's intellectual property went with him. I remember loving NeXT back in the day, but they never took off because they had a non-compete with Apple and could only sell to educational institutions and the boxes were like $10k each. Interesting fact, Doom was originally developed on NeXT and then ported to other OS's.

Another interesting fact... There was a version of the Doom server that you could install on a hacked machine, and then connect to it with the Doom client and play it. All of the monsters were processes on the hacked machine, and when you killed them, it killed the processes. Fun.

Back