Outdoor Lighting control

jlegault

Hi everyone, looking for some advice for controlling outdoor lighting. We're in the process of building a pool. My entire house is automated with z-wave (40+switches) and controlled via homeseer (and triggered by an Elk M1 for various events).
I have used the outdoor zwave switches in the past for christmas lighting. While they are very robust, the range is not exactly confidence inspiring. The current zwave controller is in my equipment closet, along with the ELK and homeseer computer, on the second floor with easy access to an exterior wall and the attic.

Here is the basic layout of the pool area:
Legault%20step%20change_thursday_001.jpg

There will be low voltage wiring in all flower beds and around the outside of the pool. The wiring can be terminated at the pool equipment location, or in a storage room (covered and shielded from the elements) under the deck. There will also be a few outlets scattered around that we may use for christmas lighting.

If z-wave had enough range, I could just put a zwave relay switch in the storage room to control the low voltage lights, and use the outdoor zwave switches at the various outlets around the pool to control the christmas lights. Something tells me this is not going to work.

I could always go with UPB, easy to mix and match with homeseer. Another long shot option is to use our Aqualink pool controller to control the low voltage lighting and outlets (it will have a bunch of free relays) - but as far as I know homeseer and the Aqualink don't communicate 2-way (very surprised no one has written a more robust integration to homeseer yet, I would gladly pay $50+ for it). One last idea is to run an Elk relay expansion board down there via Cat 5 and figure out a way to use those relays to control lighting.

Any thoughts?

If you don't use ZWave or UPB I would go the relay route (assuming you don't need dimming) since it sounds like you can get a wire to the storage room from your HA closet.. In that scenario I might do something like:

Run whatever electrical you need on various circuits back to the storage room and have them run thru a metal probably double gang box with a plate. Leave a bit of extra slack in that box. When you want control you can put a RIB (Relay in a Box) in that circuit. You simple remove plate and a knockout, put relay into knockout and cut the HV wires and wire the RIB in, then I route the LV RIB wires out another knockout (so the LV is external to the box) and connect your control wire from the closet. That's exactly how I control my pool light. There may be a better way since you're starting from scratch but that works well for me anyway.

If you don't use ZWave or UPB I would go the relay route (assuming you don't need dimming) since it sounds like you can get a wire to the storage room from your HA closet.. In that scenario I might do something like:

Run whatever electrical you need on various circuits back to the storage room and have them run thru a metal probably double gang box with a plate. Leave a bit of extra slack in that box. When you want control you can put a RIB (Relay in a Box) in that circuit. You simple remove plate and a knockout, put relay into knockout and cut the HV wires and wire the RIB in, then I route the LV RIB wires out another knockout (so the LV is external to the box) and connect your control wire from the closet. That's exactly how I control my pool light. There may be a better way since you're starting from scratch but that works well for me anyway.

Hello,
I too am interested in using a RIB, but have never done so in the past. Would the RIB01SBCDC be a good choice to interface with an Omni Pro II?

Thanks!

If you go with some low-power (LED) fixtures or lamps, you can install lower power transformers rated for indoor. If so, then you can locate your transformers and control modules inside the house, within range of your transmitters. I use insteon modules, four transformers (50W), and relay control modules for each of the transformers. All are located inside, with the LV wires existing the house through the foundation. My total system uses well under 100 watts.

Perhaps such an approach would work for you?

Hi everyone, looking for some advice for controlling outdoor lighting. We're in the process of building a pool. My entire house is automated with z-wave (40+switches) and controlled via homeseer (and triggered by an Elk M1 for various events).
I have used the outdoor zwave switches in the past for christmas lighting. While they are very robust, the range is not exactly confidence inspiring. The current zwave controller is in my equipment closet, along with the ELK and homeseer computer, on the second floor with easy access to an exterior wall and the attic.

Here is the basic layout of the pool area:
Legault%20step%20change_thursday_001.jpg

There will be low voltage wiring in all flower beds and around the outside of the pool. The wiring can be terminated at the pool equipment location, or in a storage room (covered and shielded from the elements) under the deck. There will also be a few outlets scattered around that we may use for christmas lighting.

If z-wave had enough range, I could just put a zwave relay switch in the storage room to control the low voltage lights, and use the outdoor zwave switches at the various outlets around the pool to control the christmas lights. Something tells me this is not going to work.

I could always go with UPB, easy to mix and match with homeseer. Another long shot option is to use our Aqualink pool controller to control the low voltage lighting and outlets (it will have a bunch of free relays) - but as far as I know homeseer and the Aqualink don't communicate 2-way (very surprised no one has written a more robust integration to homeseer yet, I would gladly pay $50+ for it). One last idea is to run an Elk relay expansion board down there via Cat 5 and figure out a way to use those relays to control lighting.

Any thoughts?
I would go with UPB gen 2
That home automation works!

Hi everyone, looking for some advice for controlling outdoor lighting. We're in the process of building a pool. My entire house is automated with z-wave (40+switches) and controlled via homeseer (and triggered by an Elk M1 for various events).There will be low voltage wiring in all flower beds and around the outside of the pool. The wiring can be terminated at the pool equipment location, or in a storage room (covered and shielded from the elements) under the deck. There will also be a few outlets scattered around that we may use for christmas lighting.

[... big snip ...]

I would gladly pay $50+ for it). One last idea is to run an Elk relay expansion board down there via Cat 5 and figure out a way to use those relays to control lighting.

Any thoughts?

UPB over low voltage DC?

I've been busy digging trenches and burying pipes and wires for geothermal, outdoor lighting, outdoor power, pond, cistern and irrigation water supply so this has been on my mind.

My solution is to use local WebControl devices (search Cocoontech for "WebControl" ) fitted with relays. I can install the capability to control irrigation valves, AC or DC lighting, and 120/240 VAC power, security and occupancy detectors, and temperature , light, and water-level etc sensors, without having it all puzzled out in great detail in advance.

IMO/E, Powerline controls (X-10, INSTEON, UPB) are too expensive, too undependable, too limited in function, too bulky, and potentially to needlessly hazardous, to apply in very many places (a few would be OK- I do use INSTEON too).

The WebControls are connected by CAT5, are trivially controlled by Homeseer _and_ any web browser anywhere.

... Marc

Hi everyone, looking for some advice for controlling outdoor lighting. We're in the process of building a pool. My entire house is automated with z-wave (40+switches) and controlled via homeseer (and triggered by an Elk M1 for various events).There will be low voltage wiring in all flower beds and around the outside of the pool. The wiring can be terminated at the pool equipment location, or in a storage room (covered and shielded from the elements) under the deck. There will also be a few outlets scattered around that we may use for christmas lighting.

[... big snip ...]

I would gladly pay $50+ for it). One last idea is to run an Elk relay expansion board down there via Cat 5 and figure out a way to use those relays to control lighting.

Any thoughts?

UPB over low voltage DC?

I've been busy digging trenches and burying pipes and wires for geothermal, outdoor lighting, outdoor power, pond, cistern and irrigation water supply so this has been on my mind.

My solution is to use local WebControl devices (search Cocoontech for "WebControl" ) fitted with relays. I can install the capability to control irrigation valves, AC or DC lighting, and 120/240 VAC power, security and occupancy detectors, and temperature , light, and water-level etc sensors, without having it all puzzled out in great detail in advance.

IMO/E, Powerline controls (X-10, INSTEON, UPB) are too expensive, too undependable, too limited in function, too bulky, and potentially to needlessly hazardous, to apply in very many places (a few would be OK- I do use INSTEON too).

The WebControls are connected by CAT5, are trivially controlled by Homeseer _and_ any web browser anywhere.

... Marc

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll let you know how it goes.

Back