Pellet Stove 3-wire thermostat - Any ideas on how to control?

Madcodger

We purchased a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE pellet stove for our family room two years ago. It operates reasonably well, but has a very unique thermostat (wall control unit, as they call it) that appears to possess at least some of the stove's logic within it. I would like to be able to bypass this thermostat and control the stove with a different thermostat, especially given that these stats appear to have some problems (and we're on our third one now, all replaced under warranty). Unfortunately, I'm not able to figure out the signalling scheme for this thing and I'm wondering if any Cocooners have ideas. I have looked everywhere online for a schematic and asked my dealer, but without success. Apparently when this fails they just replace it with a new one.

This thermostat is much different than a normal thermostat, and I am comfortable working on those. This one, though, behaves nothing like a normal stat. There are only 3 wires between the wall thermostat and the stove. One is marked "+", the other "-" and the third "C". There is 3.33 Volts DC across the pos and neg terminals, and as far as I can tell they simply simply power. I originally thought the C wire was a common, but that's not the case. Communications seems to occur on the "C" wire, but I have no idea how to measure what is being communicated. It seems to be more than a simply contact closure as the wall unit can tell you about 15 different conditions and faults depending on what is going on with the stove, and provides other info such as the level of the flame, etc. And it all appears to travel on this one, copper wire!

Any idea how to measure the signals traveling over that wire? I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this given that video can travel over a single wire, but I simply have no idea as to what to measure / try to observe. If I could figure this out perhaps I could then duplicate these signals and control the stove differently, at least for a short while if the stat goes down again. But I've never worked with any type of unit like this, and don't really know where to start. Ideas welcome, and thanks in advance.

If this thermostat does the following:

"7-day programmable thermostat controls room temperature, adjusts heat output, regulates auto-clean cycle, monitors built-in diagnostics, and alerts homeowner to low fuel."

It's probably a communication protocol or some sort. Just a guess.

Not a simple relay interface...

Edit: (Very random thoughts follow)

Check out page 42 of the manual, number 5, It says that the control board communicates with the wall control.

http://hearthnhome.c...ls/7034_106.pdf

I would call the manufacturer to be sure on this one. I'm sure that control board isn't cheap. Maybe they have a 3rd party interface from simple dry contact control.

Also number 22 on page 43 says it will not communicate with any other wall control making me think the interface is proprietary. Getting the signals would take an O Scope, a data analyzer of some sort.

The basic model looks like a 2 wire thermostat connection....not trying to rub it in but the AE models seem to be much more complicated. WOW, I never knew these things were so complicated, almost as many sensors as a car!

Thanks, Gatchel. And I suspect you're right - it's likely proprietary.

Many other pellet stoves seem to operate wih regular thermostats, bu this one appears to split the brains between the wall unit (stat) and the control board on the stove. Had I known this wasn't the norm when we bought it I would have picked a different stove. We like the unit and it's great in that room, but I would never advise the purchase given this stat situation. The stat is $285 and the control board is about $450-700 depending on source. Nasty...

If others have ideas on reading the data on the control wire, please let me know. Thanks.

I've read of plenty of people reverse engineering devices like this, but it's no easy feat. If you're up for that kind of challenge, then there are ways to do it - but otherwise I'd look at how to get rid of the package control and tstat and see how it could be integrated with a traditional one. Maybe call a few installers and the manufacturer and see if anyone can offer suggestions.

Back