Phone Paging from an Elk M1

upstatemike

Want to throw this out to see if anybody thinks it would work...

My Panasonic phone system has an option to configure a port as a "Hot Line". That is, if you put a single line phone on that port it will autodial a programmed number as soon as you go off hook.

What if I used an 8 ohm to 6oo ohm audio transformer to match the speaker output from the M1 to phone line level? I could then have a relay output connect the 600 ohm side to the hotline port on my phone system. The phone system would see the transformer as an off hook phone and autodial the hotline number which I would program with the paging access of 33*.

Then anything from the Elk speaker would be broadcast over the phone system phones. Think it would work?

Want to throw this out to see if anybody thinks it would work...

My Panasonic phone system has an option to configure a port as a "Hot Line". That is, if you put a single line phone on that port it will autodial a programmed number as soon as you go off hook.

What if I used an 8 ohm to 6oo ohm audio transformer to match the speaker output from the M1 to phone line level? I could then have a relay output connect the 600 ohm side to the hotline port on my phone system. The phone system would see the transformer as an off hook phone and autodial the hotline number which I would program with the paging access of 33*.

Then anything from the Elk speaker would be broadcast over the phone system phones. Think it would work?

Did you ever get this working? I would like to do the same thing with Cisco IP phones.

M1 FYI:
If you press "*0*" on an in house telephone, you can then page through the speakers connected to output 1 using the telephone's microphone. "Mildred, bring me a beer!" from your easy chair.

You have to have telephone remote control enabled.

Be careful with your speakers connected to output 1. You might cause feedback when paging through speakers connected to output 1.

Dialing *0* from a phone activates the main menu, prompting for security code. My output 1 speaker can't seem to pick up my voice through a microphone.

By the way, the original poster wanted to make the in-house phone system act as a wireless version of Elk-70/73. In my apartment, it's nice having to page through speakerphones throughout my apartment without having wires run all over the place, like the living room, kitchen, etc. My apartment doesn't have an attic.

Be careful with your speakers connected to output 1. You might cause feedback when paging through speakers connected to output 1.

Dialing *0* from a phone activates the main menu, prompting for security code. My output 1 speaker can't seem to pick up my voice through a microphone.

By the way, the original poster wanted to make the in-house phone system act as a wireless version of Elk-70/73. In my apartment, it's nice having to page through speakerphones throughout my apartment without having wires run all over the place, like the living room, kitchen, etc. My apartment doesn't have an attic.

I tried this on my system and it did work. It turns on the Output 1 speaker, the prompt asking for the access code is actually heard through the speaker then it does let you annouce whatever you'd like...

M1 FYI:
If you press "*0*" on an in house telephone, you can then page through the speakers connected to output 1 using the telephone's microphone. "Mildred, bring me a beer!" from your easy chair.

You have to have telephone remote control enabled.

Hi... there are a number of undocumented features, like this one, that you've disclosed on this BBS. Any chance you could provide a listing. These are very uselful for users who are deep into the features and programming...

Undocumented features!?! ;)
I have enough getting up to speed on all the documented ones! Now I may never finish this installation!!!
:)

Hi... there are a number of undocumented features, like this one, that you've disclosed on this BBS. Any chance you could provide a listing. These are very uselful for users who are deep into the features and programming...

I see that in the Appendix B but its a very limited desc. "2. Press * * * to alert the control. (To hear over the inside speakers press * 0 * instead.)" which says nothing about paging... Assuming you made any sense of that line at all it would not be unreasonable to assume that just the systems "voice" might come out of the speaker and not the telephone line audio.... I'd say that desc needs a little work.

Back