pictures of your setup

Diceman

can everybody post pictures of how they have their sensors mounted or attached to their house? im looking at ways of mounting the temperature sensors on the wall or ceiling and cant really think of a good low key method. thanks!

That's because there isn't one :p. The Elk temp sensor looks like a telephone block and there is just no nice way to mount it. We've asked for a flush mount sensor like HAI has a few times (just recently in another thread).

We just need to keep squeekin and we'll get greased eventually!

actually i am referring to this sensor listed here. currently mine are not housed by anything, i am thinking about getting their case for it but still, i will have a wire coming out of one side and going into the wall.

ooops, sorry, didn't even realize what forum this was, have to stop assuming everything is Elk related :p

my apologies

Hi there,

Not sure where your talking about mounting.... but for my primary indoor sensor, I mounted a non-board mounted DS1820 inside my HVAC thermostat housing. I then calibrated the DS1820 to the temp shown on the thermostat. That way I was able to run the sensor wiring in the same wire hole for my thermostat. No wires showing :)

For other rooms, I went to Radio Shack and bought plastic project boxes and used a Dremel to drill vent holes (which I covered with black open mesh foam). I drilled a cable hole in the back of the case and then through the wall. No wires showing. However, the Hobby Boards version looks much better.

The basement just has a dangling DS18S20 with heat shrink covering the wires.

If your talking outside..... Completely different animal. You can spend as much as you are willing to spend for a radiation shield or use what you dig up around the house. One fellow's example was a blob of silicone surrounded by heat shrink hanging under the front eave of his house.

Good luck!

Steve

SteveD. said:
Hi there,

Not sure where your talking about mounting.... but for my primary indoor sensor, I mounted a non-board mounted DS1820 inside my HVAC thermostat housing. I then calibrated the DS1820 to the temp shown on the thermostat. That way I was able to run the sensor wiring in the same wire hole for my thermostat. No wires showing :)

For other rooms, I went to Radio Shack and bought plastic project boxes and used a Dremel to drill vent holes (which I covered with black open mesh foam). I drilled a cable hole in the back of the case and then through the wall. No wires showing. However, the Hobby Boards version looks much better.

The basement just has a dangling DS18S20 with heat shrink covering the wires.

If your talking outside..... Completely different animal. You can spend as much as you are willing to spend for a radiation shield or use what you dig up around the house. One fellow's example was a blob of silicone surrounded by heat shrink hanging under the front eave of his house.

Good luck!

Steve
yea, i have found lots of plastic boxes online that may do the trick, got a couple free samples and am now comparing the size of the samples to other boxes to get an idea of what size it needs to be. i think i have found the perfect one, drilling the hole in the back was an obvious solution to the zero wirage and the vents i had thought of.

a few sensors will be put outside, i have yet to figure out what i am going to do with that though since i am already graphing the weather via a 3rd party, it is lower priority. would like to get the rest of my house sensors up and running first.

Best of luck there Diceman.

Did you find one that had standoffs for the board mounted DS18S20's? I ended up drilling holes (not perfectly I might add) for mine. After that, I stopped getting the board mounted version and just went with a wire soldered to a socket to accept the DS18S20. That allowed me to go to a 1"x2"x1/2" box which is small enough to hide in plain sight.

The bad thing is that I got those boxes years ago and haven't been able to find anymore. Hence the dangling 1 in my basement. :)

Let us know what you end up with.

Regards,
Steve

Hi Guys

What i intend to do with my dallas ds18s20 sensors is to embed them into a bullet housing ...one of the UK guys has done this and inserted the bullet housing into his furniture ...i like this idea myself......

HTH
Frank

Back