Poll: Elk and Insteon - what is the future?

WayneW

This is probably only relevant to those interested in the Elk M1 and using Insteon lighting.

Currently the Elk M1 supports two methods of directly controlling Insteon:
1) Using the 2414s PLC with an XSP serial expander.
2) Using the ISY family of controllers from Universal Devices with an XEP Ethernet interface.

Based on the SmartHome web site, the 2414s PLC is currently out-of-stock and discontinued. Maybe time to buy a spare 2414s from a stocking dealer or the one seller on eBay?
Elk has not indicated any plans to support the SmartHome PLM (not that I blame them)

So what is the future of Elk & Insteon lighting control? I hear good thing about the ISY and XEP, but the price tag is significantly higher than the older 2414s and XSP option.

Comments welcome or let me know if I missed an option.

i have had elk and insteon for a couple of years....i was seriously considering a 10,000 dollar wireless lighting option (pro-grade that is gauranteed to work).

I have had ISY (controlled by elk, with mainlobby front end) for 6 months now and have had ZERO problems or missed commands. It works as if hardwired and is instant.

This is probably only relevant to those interested in the Elk M1 and using Insteon lighting.

Currently the Elk M1 supports two methods of directly controlling Insteon:
1) Using the 2414s PLC with an XSP serial expander.
2) Using the ISY family of controllers from Universal Devices with an XEP Ethernet interface.

Based on the SmartHome web site, the 2414s PLC is currently out-of-stock and discontinued. Maybe time to buy a spare 2414s from a stocking dealer or the one seller on eBay?
Elk has not indicated any plans to support the SmartHome PLM (not that I blame them)

So what is the future of Elk & Insteon lighting control? I hear good thing about the ISY and XEP, but the price tag is significantly higher than the older 2414s and XSP option.

Comments welcome or let me know if I missed an option.

Elk WILL be supporting the PLM from Smarthome for Insteon. In fact, the Beta firmware that is needed for the Elk is already out and being tested and seems to work fine with no problems. The final release should come soon. I would not recommend staying with the PLC since the PLM is more stable and will work as a stand alone with the Elk, or if you upgrade to the ISY, it will work with that too.

Back