Pressure to save 15% on mucho Insteon switches

AutomatedOutlet said:
What's everyone's preference on the color?
Amber looks good when used with a brown paddle and a brass trim plate against dark wood paneling.

Green seems to work with Ivory paddles.

White and grey paddles would look better with blue LEDs while black paddles seem to favor red.

The best solution would be a tri-color LED with the ability to display 255 different colors, selectable through programming (at the same Icon price of course).

The best solution would be a tri-color LED with the ability to display 255 different colors, selectable through programming (at the same Icon price of course).
Hehe - that would be nice. Not sure if they could do it in a $20 switch though....

AutomatedOutlet said:
What's everyone's preference on the color?
Wow! I thought this was a joke on me!

Maybe it is.... :D

Based only on the pictures, I think the amber is *immensely* better. I hope to God the new order is all amber and that I can return the few old green ones I already have.

cfoxga said:
I am able to set ramp rates/local levels on the dimmers, even though they say they don't have this feature.
How are you setting the ramp rate on the Icons? Using PowerHome?

The adjustable ramp rate was the main reason I have been putting in more V2's instead Icons.

Several have mentioned that they have been able to adjust the ramp rate on ICON dimmers after assigning an x10 address and then using HomeSeer to make set the ramp.

I've tried this a few times and haven't been successful?

Paul

just FYI -- SmartHome had a "beat the clock" 10% sale back in Dec 8th.

On a similar note, had anyone ordered from the sale? I placed a big order monday and it is not being shipped yet. Is it the volume, or is there something else wrong?

On a similar note, I have sent off several product questions to several often mentioned mail order vendors on equipments and are getting no responses. Is there a big HA vendor convention going on somewhere and everyone is out of town? :D

jeffx said:
cfoxga said:
I am able to set ramp rates/local levels on the dimmers, even though they say they don't have this feature.
How are you setting the ramp rate on the Icons? Using PowerHome?

The adjustable ramp rate was the main reason I have been putting in more V2's instead Icons.
Since I was replacing X10 switches, I had assigned an X10 address to each Icon switch after installation. To my surprise, the ramp rates worked! I've set both local and remote ramp rates on all of my Icons:

The local ramp rate (and on level) must be set at the dimmer. But a trick to get a consistent ramp rate for all my switches is to:

1. Use Homeseer or PowerHome to turn on all switches to the dim level necessary for the desired ramp rate (this took a couple of tries before I found the level I like best)
2. Go to each switch and double press the set button
3. Test the ramp rate by turning the switch on and off. Go back to #1 if necessary

For remote ramp rates on my Icons, I use PowerHome to set them when I create my links.

Chris

Why would Smarthome say that the Icon Switches do not have an adjustable ramp rate when THEY DO?? I just set ramp rates on several of my Icon switches.

I would have definitely gone with more Icons and less Switchlincs had I known that and saved a bit of $$$. :angry:

I expect the ability to do this may disappear at some time in the future (especially if we keep talking about it). :angry:

From what I've read, the ICON dimmers also contain a triac that can handle more than the stated 300w load. It's possible Smarthome brought the ICON line into production using some of the base components available from the existing Switchlinc V2 line and will change these things once they procure different components/assemblies specifically for the ICON line.

There's been some discussion of different LED colors on the ICON line in another thread which may be an indication that things are already changing?

Cheers,
Paul

Pksiu,

I ordered late Monday night and requested USPS Priority (it was just a few dollars difference, maybe $2) and I got mine today. I only ordered 6 since I am a little tight on money for "toys" right now.

There was another thread regarding dimmers that "hum" and I had said my V2's never learned to hum. Unforunately my Icon's didnt miss their music lessons. Oh well its really not that bad of a hum. I will just ignore it if my wife does. :angry:

Back