Programming Buttons and using UPB Links with time-outs

wdeertz

I posted this comment in the Home Automation Forum (http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/27783-upb-control-for-roll-away-hurricane-shutters/?hl=%2Bshutters#entry227433) seeking advice on UPB switches to use with my hurricane shutters.  The load at the switch is 120v AC with one load for up and one load for down.  I found a Pulseworx UPB wire-in module (FMD2) which controls two loads so I think this may be an ideal solution for my application.  I've wired in the module in parallel with the existing manual switches and the FMD2 module works perfectly in manual testing mode (ie. when in testing mode I can manually control both loads from the module).  Now I am trying to figure out how to program these modules in PC Access.

What I have done is create user buttons for each shutter with one for open and the other for close (ie. shutter1open, shutter1close, shutter2open, etc).  In Upstart the FMD2 module shows a single ID with 2 channels which I've created a link for each channel to snap to (turned off dimming) 100% at various link numbers for each shutters open/close channel.  Although the shutters have a limiter switch which disengages the motor once the shutters are fully up or down I'd like to have the links turned off after 20 seconds which is the time required to go from fully closed to fully open and vice versa.   What I've programmed so far is:

When Userbutton Shutter1Open
        Then UPB Link 16 Off (Link 16 is the load for closing the shutter)
        Then UPB LInk 15 On

I am looking for a way to create a time-out for each link so it can be programmed to be turned off.  With Units its easy to have the switch only turned on for 20 seconds but since each load is controlled by UPB links I can't see how to do this in PC Access.  The reason I need to turn-off these links is because the manual switches will still be connected so if the UPB link is activated to close the shutters and then someone comes along and tries to open the shutters manually with the switch both loads will be turned on which obviously isn't good for the motor.  I've thought about doing an "Every 1 minute...Then turn off Link 1, etc" but this seems like a really inefficient way to achieve this objective.

Can anyone suggest how I can create a timer to have the UPB Links turned off after 20 seconds?

As you discovered, the Omni can't address multichannel devices with unit commands.
I see in UPStart this device does not have a built in timer.  Some respond to a link for a set amount of time then turn off.
For instance the SA fixture relays have built in timers:
http://www.simply-automated.com/products/items/UFR-30_relay_module.php
I use them for shower fan delays after turning off the lights.

Or use a Flag as a timer.

Define a Flag as "Shutter Open Timer"
Then add some code.

WHEN Userbutton Shutter1Open
    THEN UPB Link 16 OFF
    THEN UPB Link 15 ON
    THEN UPB Shutter Open Timer ON FOR 20 SECONDS

WHEN UPB Shutter Open Timer OFF
    THEN UPB Link 15 OFF

That will take a lot of flags, there are ways of checking and reusing a flag for multiple purposes.
Or you can have this single flag simply turn off all links (could cause sync problems if you have multiple stacked UPB commands though).

Desert_AIP said:
As you discovered, the Omni can't address multichannel devices with unit commands.
I see in UPStart this device does not have a built in timer.  Some respond to a link for a set amount of time then turn off.
For instance the SA fixture relays have built in timers:
http://www.simply-automated.com/products/items/UFR-30_relay_module.php
I use them for shower fan delays after turning off the lights.

Or use a Flag as a timer.

Define a Flag as "Shutter Open Timer"
Then add some code.

WHEN Userbutton Shutter1Open
    THEN UPB Link 16 OFF
    THEN UPB Link 15 ON
    THEN UPB Shutter Open Timer ON FOR 20 SECONDS

WHEN UPB Shutter Open Timer OFF
    THEN UPB Link 15 OFF

That will take a lot of flags, there are ways of checking and reusing a flag for multiple purposes.
Or you can have this single flag simply turn off all links (could cause sync problems if you have multiple stacked UPB commands though).
Thanks a lot for the input.  I used your suggestion and setup multiple flags for each shutter.  I considered using a single flag for each shutter but the timing to open and close is about 5 seconds different (the shutters close quicker presumably because of gravity).   Now if I can figure out a better user interface experience than a bunch of user buttons on a screen in Haiku/Space.  It would be nice to be able to create a user interface with the open and close buttons on some sort of graphic of buttons.

You could always use a single UPB Link as a "Master" command.
Set all the shutters to respond to it, send one command and they all close together.
Excellent for showing off to guests.  :)

As for Haiku and Omni Buttons - you could group windows by rooms.
i.e.  "Living Room", "Kitchen", "Master Bedroom", etc.
And have those Buttons execute multiple individual shutters together.

So "Living Room" might actually have 4 windows under it, "Kitchen" another 4, etc.

Back