Remote Control Integration

networkcrasher

I've recently been informed that WAF on our Logitech Ultimate remote is beginning to decline (she hates that there's no 'labeled' skip forward button - as do I).  So, since I have to find a new universal RF capable remote, I figured why not tie it into my OmniPro II.  I have the typical setup, OPII, Russound, Lighting (Centralite), OmniStat's, Haiku, etc., and was wondering what folks may have done out there to enable connectivity to a remote control, with actual buttons on it.  I don't mind the remotes that have LCD's on them, but I personally prefer to have hard buttons for tactile response and the ability to do things without staring at a screen, back at the tv, back to the screen, repeat. 

I used to do some of this with a Pronto TSU9400, but the remote's now as dead as the company.

I'm mostly looking for the ability to have one way (two way would be nice) communication to my panel to control security (arm/disarm), lighting, thermostats, and possibly audio and accessing IP cameras.  My needs are fairly straight foward, but what I'm finding is the more advanced lines of remotes are very DIY unfriendly.  Like most folks here, I want to learn and configure said system myself.

Any tips or examples?  I don't mind for it to have the ability to use a iphone/ipad, but the main use case here is remote controls - probably just 2 rooms for now.

I have, and while it looks interesting, I was concerned about it being on Kickstarter and delivery timeline. That, and like a lot of kickstarters, you never know what the end product will eventually be. I've backed 40 or 50 projects at this point and it's always a mixed bag.

That, and I'd like to have more hard buttons, if possible.

I'll certainly keep an eye on it. Would like to see HAI brought up there at some point, but so far I think they're targeting a different part of the HA market.

There are short and long press capabilities on the Logitech Ultimate.  I believe the default is to fastforward/rewind on short press and to skipforward/back on long press.  I reversed that on mine.  

+1 for neeo though...my logitechs are holdovers until I can get my hands on some of those....and hopefully they work as promised too...

I actually have them configured exactly that way today.  She sometimes holds on too long or not long enough and that's the exact thing that's killing the WAF. 

Surprised no one has any other solution - or rather ANY solution - to controlling the Omnipro with a remote. I'll keep researching.

Back