Replacing old smoke detectors

Understood Del.

Thinking I did ask here once on the forum relating to why the kitchen smoke went off one day and the next to the smoke alarm smoke didn't go off and you did mention the difference between the two.

I would suggest you to please contact any security system installation and monitoring companies rather than taking any risk by wrong assumptions.

Just trying to make a point... I was going through the recommendations of National Fire Protection Association. It says you should replace it in two definite cases:
1. If it is over 10 years old.
2. if it is working erratically.
In your case pete_c, the 2nd scenario holds good. So, per my opinion, replacement will be the key for you. However, I also agree with Dards1975 as that should be the first option.

HomeSecurityList said:
Just trying to make a point... I was going through the recommendations of National Fire Protection Association. It says you should replace it in two definite cases:
1. If it is over 10 years old.
2. if it is working erratically.
In your case pete_c, the 2nd scenario holds good. So, per my opinion, replacement will be the key for you. However, I also agree with Dards1975 as that should be the first option.
Not true. Don't confuse low cost smoke alarms with system detectors. Also be clear on what you are citing.

If you can pull a sensitivity and compensation report from the detector and the unit is within it's listed and marked sensitivity range, you can have the units in service longer. Testing is to be performed the first year after installation and alternate years moving forward.

Chaper 10 of the NFPA-2007 (depending on which cycle your municipality/AHJ enforces. (starting at section 10.4.2 if you want to cross reference) Also covered on the NFPA 72 acceptance forms.

That said, if an end user isn't going to perform the proper tests, then the detector must be replaced per recommendations, but nowhere is it mandated that detectors "expire" at their 10 year mark.

Back