Ring Alarm System Install

pete_c

Guru
Switching over a family member from the XFinity alarm system over to a Ring Alarm system here.

The Ring Alarm panel is all wireless.  It is made for a DIYer.  Very simple to install.

Management is purely through the internet Ring site.  No local access or browser on the tabletop base.

Also just read about the Ring Alarm MQTT integration which would work with Homeseer or Home Assistant...so will be giving this a try.

Purchased the Ring Alarm combo pack gen 2 which includes:

1 - Ring alarm base
2 - one keypad (with a PIR sensor to illuminate the keypad).
3 - one PIR sensor
4 - 4 contact sensors (tiny - smallest that I have ever seen).
5 - one ZWave extender.
6 - adding second keypad.

Got an Alexa Dot with above as a freebee.  (already have an Alexa show in place).

Been testing this now for a couple of weeks on my home office desktop.  Works well with Alexa.

The Keypad uses rechargeable batteries that last 7 months (stated).

The Alarm base connects via Wireless, Wired and has a built in failover cellular backup with a battery that goes 24 hours should the power be removed.

Installing the base on a wall in the hallway using a 5VDC power splitter (2.5 amps).  I might be able to split the 5VDC power such that I can power the Keypad via 5VDC (microUSB cable).  The base can also be used in tabletop mode wirelessly if you want.

Been testing the 2.5Amp 5VDC power splitter for a couple of days and it works well.

I noticed yesterday you can change the chime sound on the contact sensors.  

Baby steps now to install in families house.

1 - running an ethernet cable from a Leviton patch panel mounted on a piece of plywood (where a POE switch is and PFSense firewall is mounted)  POE switch also powers Panasonic Phone system and Ooma VOIP box.  This is about a 75 foot in the basement from the patch panel to the hallway wall.  I am using conduit run up to the thermostat from the basement and continuing on up the opposite wall for the Alarm base. - status wire run today - not terminated

2 - terminate one side to patch panel and the other side to a RJ-45 jack.  Tested OK.  

3 - tested a Trendnet TPE-104GS POE Power splitter with 5VDC going to the Ring Alarm base - working fine - leaving it this way until installation.

4 - installing the POE splitter in the basement and running an ethernet cable and power cable up from the power splitter inside the wall to the Ring Base.  Terminating cable to an RJ-45 jack and testing it for use with POE patch panel to RJ-45 jack.

Tuesday June 16, 2020

Noticed today that the Ring Alarm base and keypad talks status. Initially thought that the speech was coming from the Amazon devices.  

The base circular LED lamp changes from blue to red when alarm is enabled.

Wireless contact sensors are very quick.  

Wednesday June 17, 2020

Wired POE cable to Trendnet power splitter tested OK.  The Trendnet 5VDC POE power splitter will be mounted in the basement with a 5VDC and network cable going up inside wall to Ring Alarm Base.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1367]

Thursday June 18, 2020

Decided not to utilize the metal conduit (thermostat) for the two cables so I drilled a 3/4" hole up to the wall cavity.  A bit difficult because the wall cavity sits above a structure support metal i beam in the basement.

Friday June 19, 2020

POE cable with 5VDC power splitter tested and OK.  Ran a cat6 / coaxial power connector up to the top of the wall where the Ring base will be. 

I have configured alarm and all sensors on my home office desk and every has been fine now for a couple of weeks. So next steps are installing contact sensors and PIR and Z-Wave repeater.

Just watched a short video on installing the tiny ring contact sensor on the garage door.

Monday June 22, 2020

Installed Ring Base, sensors and keypad today.

All checked out fine.  Next instruction on using Amazon Show / Amazon Echo with alarm.

Tuesday June 23, 2020

Disconnected XFinity Home today.  Looking for an easy way to run the 5VDC cable to the keypad.  It was not easy to run a cable from basement to wall where keypad is located. 

The keypad is above a 3 way light switch.

Opened up the 3 way switch box and noticed that there was 120VAC power running through it.  (neutral - white and hot - black wires bundled behind the 3 way switch). 

There is conduit connecting to a standard duplex outlet a few feet away.

Looked for a small 120VAC to 5VDC transformer that I could fit inside of the box and didn't find any.  Will keep looking.

Purchased a Leviton combo 3 way switch / outlet for time bean and will utilize external charger for keypad. 

I don't really like the way this looks.  I do not want to see any wires by the keypad.

Trying to add Ring Alarm integration next ....

Got it working with the following steps:

1 - get token

docker run -it --rm --entrypoint node_modules/ring-client-api/ring-auth-cli.js tsightler/ring-mqtt

2 - here you put in your ring email address and password and validate login via email

3 - you will get a very long token which you utilize in the following command line:

4 - docker run --rm -e "MQTTHOST={host name}" -e "MQTTPORT={host port}" -e "MQTTRINGTOPIC={ring topic}" -e "MQTTHASSTOPIC={hass topic}" -e "MQTTUSER={mqtt user}" -e "MQTTPASSWORD={mqtt pw}" -e "RINGTOKEN={ring refreshToken}" -e "ENABLECAMERAS={true-or-false}" -e "RINGLOCATIONIDS={comma-separated location IDs}" tsightler/ring-mqtt

5 - validated it working with MQTT explorer

6 - Issue with me is persistance. It'll stay at the prompt where as I cannot kill the ssh terminal windows. So for time bean went to console and running there. Validated it running with the docker ps command and portainer.

This will set up Ring alarm devices in HA / MQTT.  Not sure how well this will integrated with the OmniBridge MQTT app.

See MQTT Ring devices fine.  It is a bit overwhelming to see both OmniPro 2 and Ring devices.  

Back