Running contacts to two controllers

I have an HAI OmniPro II as my primary controller. I also have a Stargate that I use for voice annunciation and a few other assorted tasks. In my new house I wanted to be able to connect a few of the security contacts to *both* controllers to trigger events on either one.

I tried "daisy-chaining" a couple of the contacts from the OmniPro II to the Stargate. This didn't work though and it caused the contact to show as open on the OmniPro II. Is it possible to run a security contact to two different controllers? If so how do I go about wiring it?

-- Dave

Why not just have the HAI send a signal to the Stargate to let it know of a change of state? You could even use X10 for signaling like that.

I thought about doing that, but right now I don't have the two controllers connected to each other. The programming would be simpler if I could just have the Stargate react directly. If that's not possible though I can always do what you suggested.

-- Dave

The Stargate inputs are opto-isolated and can usually be connected in series with an alarm panel's inputs. (not the same as daisy chaining). I think there is a tech note on the JDS site with details.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply! ;) I looked at all the app notes and didn't find what you were referring to. I'm beginning to suspect that the only way I'll be able to do this is using either relays on the OmniPro II or using notifications via COM port.

-- Dave

Go to the appnote called "Appnotes" which is the second in the list. On the bottom of page 5 it tells how to hook a SG digital input to an alarm panel zone.

Hi Mike,

I had actually seen this page before but as soon as I saw relays in the diagram I figured "that's not what I want" and I didn't read any further. <_< I wired it as they suggested in the AppNote and it works great. Thanks much for the pointer!! :)

-- Dave

Back