running wires to the headend

Does that mean the cat5e being used by elk keypad doesn't get terminated to the M1XIN board? It's because you're now saying to also pull CAT5E cable.

Thanks guys! ;)

Just my 2 cents. I would make the head end just that. A head end. Make everything a home run and not to have seperate panels though out the house.
Personaly when I have an issue I do not want to be running around the house troubleshooting. Plus come the middle of summer going into an attic is not what I have in mind of a good time.

toymaster458 said:
Just my 2 cents. I would make the head end just that. A head end. Make everything a home run and not to have seperate panels though out the house.
Personaly when I have an issue I do not want to be running around the house troubleshooting. Plus come the middle of summer going into an attic is not what I have in mind of a good time.
Does it change the way M1 looks at the connectivity when expanders are present? Say contact sensor in 2nd/Floor connected to an expander, isn't M1 going to pinpoint which one is really is? I'm assuming that there is like a sub numbering in M1 which will help us troubleshoot just like ATSC local broadcast channels in my area, 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3 for PBS.ORG. Channel 11 but it's got 3 sub channels.

And the reason I want to go this route is for wire management. But if it affects M1's features, then I will have to really decide which route to go.

Home run advantage:
1. many wires and in the future, you can replace devices
2. as mentioned, easier to troubleshoot

Expander for each floor advantage:
1. easier connectivity of sensors
2. minimal cable runs
3. harder to troubleshoot

One Cat 5 would be for Keypad. The rest would be for other things as time goes on such as possible Camera's etc. I like to pull extra wire for future use. I did that and used almost all of them already and wished I pulled more.

Digger said:
One Cat 5 would be for Keypad. The rest would be for other things as time goes on such as possible Camera's etc. I like to pull extra wire for future use. I did that and used almost all of them already and wished I pulled more.
You still didn't answer. ;)

One cat5 to where? From keypad To expander? or From Keypad downto the headend?

EDIT: Please see below for picture and comment.

m1_expander_wires_diagram.jpg

I'm using an M1DBHR and wired it (bench testing right now) according to THIS schematic.

I noticed that you have two zone expanders and two keypads. I would just terminate each into its own output/zone with the expander (assuming you are placing that hub in the same location as the ELk M1G).

Also, I'm not understanding totally why you are running 18 gauge wiring for your data lines, but I didn't read the entire thread... ;)

BraveSirRobbin said:
I'm using an M1DBHR and wired it (bench testing right now) according to THIS schematic.

It helps a lot. :) How did you terminate the sensors to the M1XIN?

I noticed that you have two zone expanders and two keypads.  I would just terminate each into its own output/zone with the expander (assuming you are placing that hub in the same location as the ELk M1G).
I'm sorry, but I didn't get what you mean. What would I terminate?

The reason I have 2 expanders is for wire management. Fewer lines from second floor to basement. Is my diagram a bad design? For the second floor, in my diagram, does the keypad have the correct connectivity (CAT5E on 2/F downto M1DBHR on basement)? Or should I terminate the 2/F keypad to the M1XIN?

Also, I'm not understanding totally why you are running 18 gauge wiring for your data lines, but I didn't read the entire thread...  ;)
I was told to use 18/4 wire when connecting M1XIN to M1DBHR. What wire should it be though?

I'm sorry, but I didn't get what you mean. What would I terminate?

Oh, sorry for the lack of detail. The data base hub has four outputs, each with four screw terminals where the wire enters. I was suggesting putting the wires for each of your devices (two keypads and two zone expanders) into those terminals. So, say for keypad one your would place the four wires into the terminal strip just below the JP2 jumper, and so on.

Actually if you jumper JP2 on my schematic, get rid of the first zone expander, and substitute your second zone expander in place of one of my keypads, you would have a schematic for your application.

Make sure you jumper the "terminate" JP3 on the Elk M1 main board also.

All of your zone expanders and keypads would also have their jumpers in place for their terminating resistor.

I was told to use 18/4 wire when connecting M1XIN to M1DBHR. What wire should it be though?

Well, I don't want to intrude as I'm not familiar with your entire situation as the others who are giving you advice are so I'll just let that one rest.

Well, I don't want to intrude as I'm not familiar with your entire situation as the others who are giving you advice are so I'll just let that one rest.
I'm just curious, what wire did you use? I think the 18/4 is going to be used for power. That's the other part that I need to clarrify also.

And for my other question, I think you miss it or I was in EDIT mode :) Can a keypad be terminated to an M1XIN?

EDIT: Actually, I am missing one more keypad in 1st floor.

You should pull the Cat 5 for the keypads in case you upgrade to touchscreens in the future.

The 18/4 for the expanders could be 22/4 but since you need 18/4 for the smokes you might as well use the 18/4 for the expanders etc. if you have enough of it. I would use 18 for the sirens/speakers etc if you can. Up to you.

By limiting the home runs you should save a lot of time and wire and allow for future expansion. The remote CANS become Sub Head Ends so to speak and they are helpful.

Rememebr to pull extra wire to the CANS for future use. As much as you can.

You can terminate a regular keypad to the databus etc of the M!XIN but not a tuochscreen in the future.

BraveSirRobbin,

Using the diagram you shared to me above, will a single sensor still be dedicated to a single zone? it's because, your 2 M1XIN are using the same bus.

Thanks.

Here is a picture of the bench test setup. The data base hub is on the right above the right most keypad.

I would "highly" suggest taking the time to bench test your setup and get used to the software before you install the system! :)

Attachments

• elksys.jpg
    elksys.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 26
v1rtu0s1ty said:
BraveSirRobbin,

Using the diagram you shared to me above, will a single sensor still be dedicated to a single zone? it's because, your 2 M1XIN are using the same bus.

Thanks.
It's all in the addressing of the zone expanders and has nothing to do with various ways you can wire them into the bus.

So as long as you properly address the zone expanders they will have consecutive zone numbers (look at my schematic again).

BraveSirRobbin said:
Here is a picture of the bench test setup. The data base hub is on the right above the right most keypad.

I would "highly" suggest taking the time to bench test your setup and get used to the software before you install the system! :)
Yep, for sure I will do that. The reason I have been asking is because, I'm finalzing my wiring. Drywalling is on June 12. I don't have enough time. And also, I will be only allowed to wire on June 10-11. I'm planning to start at 6am then go home at 7:30pm, then do the same on the next day. :D

BraveSirRobbin said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
BraveSirRobbin,

Thanks.
It's all in the addressing of the zone expanders and has nothing to do with various ways you can wire them into the bus.

So as long as you properly address the zone expanders they will have consecutive zone numbers (look at my schematic again).
Yep, I noticed the addressing earlier. :)

Back