Sentrol Glass Breaks

Steve

Trying to decide between 2 Sentrol glass breaks, the Shatterpoint II 5820A and the Shatterpoint 3 5812-RND. It appears that the Shatterpoint 3 is a better technology and is less likely to false trigger but the 5820 is the one she prefers aesthetically. In one room there will be a billiard table. Has anybody used either or both of these? Any issues with false triggers? I don't know if I should be concerned about billiard balls causing an issue? I would just do the 5820A for the looks but I am hung up on maybe not having the 'better' protection and false alarm immunity. Thoughts?

I use two Sentrol ShatterPro II 520A's in my home (as shown HERE) and have never had a false alarm from them in three years.

I do know they work because I test them by taking two pieces of 2x4 wood sections and smack (and I mean smack) them together. Of course I don't have a pool table though... :)

I have them enabled in both my "away" and "stay" armed modes for my security system.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I do know they work because I test them by taking two pieces of 2x4 wood sections and smack (and I mean smack) them together. Of course I don't have a pool table though... ;)
Hmmm, doesn't seem right that a couple pieces of wood could simulate glass breaking. Maybe I should just hook one of each up and test them that way, but I don't have billiard balls (sisters install and house is not occupied yet).

You can also do this by clapping your hands together, but you have to do it so hard, your palms start to hurt.

Of course there are always the "pro" glass break testers, but I never wanted to shell out the bucks for something I use once a year.

I also installed five of these in my buddy's house and yes, tested every one of them with the 2x4's.

Ah, ok, that was for test mode. But the banging 2x4's did not actually trip it into alarm I am assuming. Would be interesting to 'eliminate' some old glassware to see if they actually trip them as well.

Steve said:
Ah, ok, that was for test mode. But the banging 2x4's did not actually trip it into alarm I am assuming. Would be interesting to 'eliminate' some old glassware to see if they actually trip them as well.
I see this as an excuse to drink a few beers (in glass bottles). If you don't get it right the first time, try try again...

Steve said:
No, this actually "tripped" the units.

Back in the day we used to test glass break sensors by vigorously rattling a set of keys inside a large glass jar (with the top off to make it louder). It was pretty good at hitting the right frequencies.

Hmmm, we have glass break testers here but perhaps I need to figure out a rental program on them since most people probably wouldn't want to buy one just to test their own house.

Back in the old days we use to tap rapidly on the windows with a key to test the glass break sensors.....

Once a chap and i were installing glass break sensors in a Golf Club and just before we were finished ....a golf ball came flying thru one of the windows ;-) Had it happend 5 minutes later we could have tested the Glass break sensors.....
The sentrol sensors have been around a long time and were very popular when i was installing........

Frank

Back