Serial controllable Power Strips

Smarty

I have did a couple of google searches looking for serial controllable powerstips.... The "best" that I have found so far seems to be this one:

CPS Power Strip

The price is buried at the bottom: $115, plus a $18 for a DB9 to RJ11 serial cable.

Note: While this powerstip has 6 outlets, it only has 3 relays (a relay controls a PAIR of outlets)

Background:
I have a Time Warner cable modem, a DLink router, a DLink switch and other misc equipment plugged into a UPS. I have a "watchdog" Powerhome macro that periodically checks for "connectivity/functionality" of each device. When a device appears dead, I want to be able to power-cycle it.

Right now my biggest issue seem to be the cable modem. About once per week (or less often), I will wake up to find that my connection to Time Warner is down (no internet). Manually power-cycling the modem always seems to make it re-connect. =>This is what I am trying to automate. If there were a "software" command that I could issue instead, that might work (but, I am aware of no such way to interact with TimeWarner's cable modem)

So, has anyone lese seen or used a "controllable" powerstip that is either cheaper, or may have other unique features that might fit this situation? I am not interested in rack mounted units (I have no rack, and no plans for one). Thanks!!

Do you need serial control? There is a IP controlable 4 outlet switch, Aviosys IP Power 9258, you can find it cheaper than $115.

I ended up getting a Baytech RPC4 off ebay for pretty cheap...can't remember just how cheap...definitely less than $100. 4 outlets, individually controlled, with watchdog timer functionality and on/off/reboot capability. It's one of the nicer things sitting on the shelf not being used.....yet!

Be warned that there are a *LOT* of variations on baytech remote power stuff, so don't get one only to find out it's got a 30amp locking plug on it.

As an example, this appears to be an 8-outlet, controllable RPC with 15 amp/120v inputs....but you would need to get on the baytech site and look up the model num to see exactly what this is. But if it's legit, then $10 isn't bad, huh?

I ended up getting a Baytech RPC4 off ebay for pretty cheap...can't remember just how cheap...definitely less than $100. 4 outlets, individually controlled, with watchdog timer functionality and on/off/reboot capability. It's one of the nicer things sitting on the shelf not being used.....yet!

Be warned that there are a *LOT* of variations on baytech remote power stuff, so don't get one only to find out it's got a 30amp locking plug on it.

As an example, this appears to be an 8-outlet, controllable RPC with 15 amp/120v inputs....but you would need to get on the baytech site and look up the model num to see exactly what this is. But if it's legit, then $10 isn't bad, huh?

Wow!!! a seemingly good find! Thanks

Me too. Actually I've used mine quite a bit when I set up my computer building station. But just as a regular 4 plug plugstrip!
PS - when are you writing a CQC driver for it? I'm sure it can be controlled via the SNMP driver, but that thing is over my head ;)

Actually if that does happen, you can cut the 30amp plug off and simply wire a regular 15 or 20 amp plug on it. It just means the unit will never actually get 30amps supplied to it. But it certainly can handle fewer amps. You don't want to go the other way (cut off a 15 amp plug and wire in a 30 amp plug).

Me too. Actually I've used mine quite a bit when I set up my computer building station. But just as a regular 4 plug plugstrip!
PS - when are you writing a CQC driver for it? I'm sure it can be controlled via the SNMP driver, but that thing is over my head ;)

That actually is in the plans, it just wasn't going to happen until I ended up using the thing, which I've so far very cleverly avoided. ;) It definitely is serially controllable, and I think in a couple different ways. I got in via hyperterminal and was going through the menus, and was pleased with what I saw, what with the count-down cycle thing and stuff. I know there's another way to control it too.

I figure the main purpose to put it to is to reboot the DSL modem when things aren't working, as that seems to be the most frequent reason to go down there and cycle power to anything. If I combine that with an internet-connectivity check in CQC (probably need a new driver for that too, though it's oft been asked for), then when I lose internet, I can have it automatically reboot. That will save me a few unhappy-spouse calls of "the internet is down again".

Well, just for fun I tried looking up the specs on that on baytech.net, but couldn't find it. So I'm asking their tech support. I seem to remember dealing with their tech support before when I got the DS-RPC4 off ebay, and they were quite friendly and helpful. We'll see what they say.

You mean under "older" manuals? I looked in there, and could only find a quickstart for the RPC-18, and nothing that defined what the letters are for.

The baytech guy who responded to me says it's the same as the RPC18DE, except it doesn't have the "environmental port", which I guess is the E. It also doesn't explain what the NC is, as usually after the number comes the max output amps, so it'd be something like 15, 30, or 20. You can see from the ebay add that it's 16...again a little strange.

So, I guess *shrug*. Worth a shot, for only $10. (and $20 shipping ;) )

This device here

http://www.amazon.com/Webcontrol-Universal...7812&sr=1-1

If you wired relays to the 5v ttl outputs you would be in business. Relays are pretty cheap, especially low voltage ones so you could indpendently control eight devices.

Also if you have an Elk alarm system you could attach a relay board to it and have control of eight devices via Elk rules (again run the power through the relay after the transformer so you don't have to deal with 110v). You can phone into an Elk system as well to reset your modem if you are away from home.

Problem - can't type a message longer than two lines.
I would check your modem FW/SW/Config and the cable going to your home. Diagnostics are easy.

Back