Serial controllable Power Strips

My connection is dropping about once every 2-3 days....or longer....

I tend to think of this as the "elegant back-up solution approach"...but I still will look at signal strenght and other relevant issues to fix the root problem.

I had both IDSL and BB in the previous home. The IDSL would back up the BB connection.

Today I don't have any triggers notifying me when the BB network WAN link goes down but I do monitor the WAN line with the HA server.

Additionally I do a quickie FTP download / speed check every night.

Back when I used TWC (now have Verizon FiOS) I had cronjob on my home Linux box that every minute tried to ping some DNS servers and if it failed it would reboot my Motorola Bitsurfer cable modem automatically.

I can dig out the script if there's interest, once I get home, that machine is off right now (it no longer serves any critical purpose at this time). Basically if ping failed, it used 'curl' to do a HTTP POST to the reboot form as if you had clicked the button on the cable modem's web interface.

My friend has some newer modem from TWC that has no reboot option in it's web interface, so it may not be useful for you.

BayTech item arrived yesterday. It came with twist lock type 120V plugs (it has two very heavy duty power cords). After snipping off the weird plug ends and attaching "regular" three prong plugs, the unit powered right up.

I then made up a DB9 to RJ45 adapter. This was a little tricky. The documentation (posted earlier) tells you the RJ45 to DB9 pinout. But it also says that it comes with a crossover arrangement (I incorporated the crossover into my DB9 to RJ45 adapter, and then used a straight-through RJ45 to RJ45 cable (regular cat5 network cable).

With the serial connection made and the unit powered up, Hyperterminal showed the menu (9600, 8-n-1) and all is good. Should be VERY easy to control via PowerHome or any other HA software that can send serial commands.

I have did a couple of google searches looking for serial controllable powerstips.... The "best" that I have found so far seems to be this one:

CPS Power Strip

The price is buried at the bottom: $115, plus a $18 for a DB9 to RJ11 serial cable.

Note: While this powerstip has 6 outlets, it only has 3 relays (a relay controls a PAIR of outlets)

Background:
I have a Time Warner cable modem, a DLink router, a DLink switch and other misc equipment plugged into a UPS. I have a "watchdog" Powerhome macro that periodically checks for "connectivity/functionality" of each device. When a device appears dead, I want to be able to power-cycle it.

Right now my biggest issue seem to be the cable modem. About once per week (or less often), I will wake up to find that my connection to Time Warner is down (no internet). Manually power-cycling the modem always seems to make it re-connect. =>This is what I am trying to automate. If there were a "software" command that I could issue instead, that might work (but, I am aware of no such way to interact with TimeWarner's cable modem)

So, has anyone lese seen or used a "controllable" powerstip that is either cheaper, or may have other unique features that might fit this situation? I am not interested in rack mounted units (I have no rack, and no plans for one). Thanks!!

I spliced my cable modem power supply into the elks 12v relay. Homeseer pings google every 10 min. If no response, it flips the relay off for 10 seconds which resets the cable modem.

Michael

I spliced my cable modem power supply into the elks 12v relay. Homeseer pings google every 10 min. If no response, it flips the relay off for 10 seconds which resets the cable modem.

Michael

Yep, that would work as well!

My Elk relays are all used up (no more room in the BIG can - Extra relay board is full). This controllable powerstrip will allow me to do the same thing with up to 8 outlets.

Thanks to all on this thread that steered me towards this nice find!

Back