Serial interface to iMac using XSP

aehusted

I am working on integrating my ElkM1G with Indigo on my iMac. (using this) The plan is to connect the mac to the elk using a Keyspan adapter and an XSP. My serial port expander has firmware 1.0.26.

My question is, how to I treat the M1-XSP like serial port 0? I can't connect the mac to port 0 because I have the M1-XEP hooked up to it. I need to know if there is something I need to do to enable two way serial communication via the XSP or if I am just doing something else wrong on the mac side.

Thanks

The plan is to connect the mac to the elk using a Keyspan adapter and an XSP. My serial port expander has firmware 1.0.26.
My question is, how to I treat the M1-XSP like serial port 0? I can't connect the mac to port 0 because I have the M1-XEP hooked up to it.
I don't think you can do it that way. Port 0 is the only fully verbose port, so both the XEP and Indigo would want to use it. Can Indigo connect to the XEP?

The way Electron taught me to work around this for his my.Elk HomeSeer script was to use a virtual serial port. HS could talk to the emulated serial port software and that software would translate it to TCP/IP commands and send them to the XEP.

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html

Nuts.
I don't think I can rig up a virtual serial port like that on my Mac. At least not with my current level of knowledge.
Since I don't really use RP at all, I am thinking that I may just end up taking the XEP out and connecting the Mac to port 0.
You'll know it worked when you see my XEP on the classifieds :icon_pai:

I don't think you can do it that way. Port 0 is the only fully verbose port, so both the XEP and Indigo would want to use it. Can Indigo connect to the XEP?

The way Electron taught me to work around this for his my.Elk HomeSeer script was to use a virtual serial port. HS could talk to the emulated serial port software and that software would translate it to TCP/IP commands and send them to the XEP.

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html

Thanks for the link.
I dug around there for a while, but it looks rather more involved than I am willing to get.

I did rig it up using the SerialBridge code and a long wire to port 0 last night. It works like a charm now. The code just needs a bit of tweaking, but AppleScript I can handle.

This thread looks like it might offer a similar solution for your Mac.

I know it's been a long time, but have you successfully integrated Indigo with your Elk? I'd be interested in knowing the details of what you did.

Back