Serial over Cat 5

jls944

Since I need to run a serial wire over a long distance I was going to make the run with Cat5 wire instead. How exactly would I connect the serial cable to Cat5 wire? Would I actually cut the serail cable in half and connect the wires manually or buy an adapter? If I can cut the serial cable, how many wires are there? Sorry for the basic questions but I've never done this before.

Since I need to run a serial wire over a long distance I was going to make the run with Cat5 wire instead. How exactly would I connect the serial cable to Cat5 wire? Would I actually cut the serail cable in half and connect the wires manually or buy an adapter? If I can cut the serial cable, how many wires are there? Sorry for the basic questions but I've never done this before.
You would crimp on RJ45 connectors to the line and use these adapters on each end.
http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp...CFTgrOAod0wuyGQ

FYI, I actually run multiple serial runs over one Cat5e cable (shame to waste an entire Cat5e on just one serial port that uses three conductors) :).

The extra wires from the adapter can be snaked out the side, then I just solder extensions to a nine pin D connector. I actually share a ground (pin 5) between two runs from my Edgeport serial to USB and have three serial ports using one Cat5e cable.

Assuming you are talking about RS-232C, there are a minimum of 3 wires required Transmit data (TX), Receive Data (RX) and ground. There may also be additional handshaking wires, Request to send (RTS), Clear to send (CTS), Data Carrier Detect (DCD), Data Terminal Ready (DTR) and Data Set Ready (DSR). There is quite a bit of information here

You should also be aware that you may have problems sending RS-232 more than about 30 feet. You can get powered transceivers that convert RS-232 to RS-485. This will allow much longer distances.

Paul

When I began my second career in IT some 15 years ago, I found the company I work for communicated with HP LaserJet printers with RS232 serial interfaces. We had printers spread over four floors and hundreds of feet. We used Cat3 cable and adapters like Rupp linked to.

Thank you all for the responses. THat was very helpful. Do you think I need to convert to RS-485 if I'm going 30-40 ft?

You should also be aware that you may have problems sending RS-232 more than about 30 feet. You can get powered transceivers that convert RS-232 to RS-485. This will allow much longer distances.

Paul

It really depends on the baud rate. The lower the rate the farther you can run. HAI runs at 9600 baud and we have had people run it at 100 feet with no problems.

Thank you all for the responses. That was very helpful. Do you think I need to convert to RS-485 if I'm going 30-40 ft?
I would recommend simply trying it. You'll know pretty quickly if it works or not. 30 feet should be easy, 200 and up it starts getting iffy.

Unless you have a very noisy (electrically) environment you should be able to do 30 to 50 feet with no problem.

How about using a terminal server wherever you need a serial connection in your network? Of course, your software will need to be able to connect to a socket instead of a com port.

garyIm,
The lantronix servers come with software that makes the server appear to be a standard com port to Windows software. So, there typically isn't any mods that the software needs to support. Just create the virtual comport and configure the software to use that comport.

FYI, I actually run multiple serial runs over one Cat5e cable (shame to waste an entire Cat5e on just one serial port that uses three conductors)
wink.gif

The extra wires from the adapter can be snaked out the side, then I just solder extensions to a nine pin D connector. I actually share a ground (pin 5) between two runs from my Edgeport serial to USB and have three serial ports using one Cat5e cable.

Would you happen to know what pins are used in the RS-232 connector for the W800RF32A? I want to mount it about 30 ft from my server and use the extra wires in the Cat 5 to supply power to the W800RF32A.

After much searching I think I found my answer. I can't post the link to the webpage so I copied the text of it. Hopefully, it helps someone else with the same question.

Mike,

I've got my W800RF32 connected to the PC via ~15m of CAT5E. I asked Warren
from WGL Designs before I tried it and here's his response.

<QUOTE>
You should have no problems doing what you propose. This is common setup.

Pin 2 is the TD or transmit pin coming from the module, pin 3 is RD
(receive) or incoming and pin 5 is ground.

We recommend a minimum length of one foot for the coax run as the shield is
used a ground plane.

Warren Lohoff
WGL & Associates

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 6:00 AM
To: WGLdesigns
Subject: W800 cabling questions

Hi,

I bought a W800RF32AE a year or two ago.

I would like to move the unit to a more central location that is about 15m
(45ft) away from the PC to which it is attached. My plan is to make use of
the CAT5E cable that I have installed in the house and run the serial
signals over it. The following may help.

[Antenna]--[Coax]--[W800]--[DB9-to-RJ45 adaptor]--[Cat5E
cable]--[RJ45-to-DB9 adaptor]--[PC's serial port]

1) Which pins of the serial connector does the W800 use to communicate with
the PC?

2) The unit was supplied with 12ft coaxial cable. I would like to use a
shorter cable (eg 1ft or less) to make installation easier. Is there
minimum length of coax that will work? And is there a limitation on how
close the antenna can be to the receiver?
</QUOTE>

Back