*** Setting up XSP with Uplink 4500EZ

Mp333

In the process of connecting the Uplink 4500EZ via XSP. Setting up M1G with IP monitoring as Primary and GSM secondary.
XSP is enrolled and running on v1.0.50(default). First of all do I need to update the XSP to v10.0.2 even though its listed for 2500.The 4500EZ is connected via Serial cable I made.The 4500EZ has (Slow) normal blinking lights for Service and Network. The XSP blinks normal.

What are the typical settings for Reporting format for Serial Expander(Uplink 4500EZ) and XEP.

Thank you

I would ask the guys at Elk regarding the firmware.

Settings for reporting format would be serial, then the remaining settings are done on the Uplink dealer side.

Then it's putting the Uplink firmware in the XSP, no different than any other XSP config. Documentation should give you all the settings on the Elk side.

im curious, when using the XSP and one of these 2500/4500 devices, what is the exact mechanism that the Uplink device reports to?

The Elk ethernet device reports to an IP server with some kind of encapsulated ContactID protocol, the Elks dialer does a pots dialup and transmits ContactID to some POTS telephone device.  What exactly do the uplink devices report to?

My first guess is that it reports over the cellular internet to the same device the Elks ethernet system would report to?

TCP/IP and Cellular differ in how they work and what form of data and protocol is sent to the CS.

TCP/IP sends data only. CID is a DTMF protocol where the format is XXXX YY Q XRC GG CCC (with handshakes and kissoffs)

XXXX= account #
YY= Message type
Q= Qualifier (alarm, trouble, restoral)
XRC= Event code
GG= Group or partition
CCC= Zone # (or user)

TCP is similar, in what is transmitted, however the protocol is different and the information is also different. Cellular via an XSP is direct serial data, which is decoded on the Uplink side. It is either retransmitted to the CS as DTMF CID tones or directly ported into the CS via TCP/IP, which is dependent on how the installing Uplink dealer and CS set up the unit and their capabilities.

A transmission from Uplink (or any other of the cell providers on the alarm side) ported into the CS is more secure and has more safeguards than sending TCP/IP communicator data from a panel directly to the CS on consumer level ISP's.

Back