Skip the RJ31X

raymondh

I misplaced the RJ31X that came with my ELK-M1 so when I connected the phone line I just went directly to the M1 instead of the jack. I then ran a line from the house side of the M1 to the telco punchdown for the house.

Will this be okay? It seems like the only thing I'm giving up is the ability to unplug the M1 from the line in case of a phone problem. Honestly, by the time it would take to get to the panel, unscrew the access door and unplug the wire, I could go find my cell phone and make a call.

I misplaced the RJ31X that came with my ELK-M1 so when I connected the phone line I just went directly to the M1 instead of the jack. I then ran a line from the house side of the M1 to the telco punchdown for the house.

Will this be okay? It seems like the only thing I'm giving up is the ability to unplug the M1 from the line in case of a phone problem. Honestly, by the time it would take to get to the panel, unscrew the access door and unplug the wire, I could go find my cell phone and make a call.

Using your cell phone won't be much help in troubleshooting line problems with your telco, which I believe is the point of the RJ31X. You can do all the same testing without the RJ31X, it will probably not be as convenient though.

Brian

It's more like having the ability to disconnect the phone line in case of a problem with the M1. ***History Lesson*** The RJ31X was developed in the day that alarm panels were connected directly to the local police departments. The police wanted the ability for the business owner to disconnect the alarm panel from the telephone system in case of a problem. Disconnecting the jack would remove the panel and give the business owner their phone system back. The business owner could then have the panel repaired, reinstalled, and then plugged back into the phone system. Your system will function properly without it but you will lose the ability to quickly re-establish phone service in case of a problem with the M1.

Not just that, but it allows the M1 to seize the line to dial out. Without the RJ31x anyone could pick up an extension in the house and interrupt comm. With the RJ31x in place the M1 can take exclusive control of the phone line and dial out regardless if there are phones off-hook in the house. You invested in an M1 for security and to do it right, so if you can't find the jack that came with it, go get one at Radio Shack, or if you have DSL then get a nicer DSL filter/RJ/Surge device like the Channel Vision P-0411. For the few dollars it could potentially save your life or property one day.

Nowadays with TCP/IP monitoring you no longer "have" to use telco if you have broadband internet service available. Several years ago I worked on a project to test the TCP/IP communications equipment from Honeywell/Ademco. I was very skeptical but open minded about the reliability. After months of testing not once did the cable internet connection have a communication failure (unless we deliberatly faulted the line). The longest time to send an alarm was about 15 seconds with the average less than 9 seconds if I remember correctly. When the line was faulted the system was required to annunciate the communication failure within 200 seconds at both the residence and the Central Station. We sent THOUSANDS of test signals. The system just worked.

There are many other manufacturers doing similar things. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a CS that works with the ELK Ethernet module (yet). After waiting for over a year I caved in and signed up for NextAlarm using their ABN. I spent many hours this weekend "playing" with it. It also works well. To me it would be even better without the ABN and working with the ELK Ethernet module and hopefully that will be out shortly.

In my opinion TCP/IP is the way to go. Less worries about tying up the phone line and faster transmission of the alarm signals. If you have an emergency you dont always want the alarm panel seizing the line if you are trying to call for help as well (which can happen occasionally) but seizing the line is necessary so the bad guy doesn't take the line off the hook during a dial delay etc. Also with polling you know within minutes (minimum 5 mins with NextAlarm) if the line is down. It is also more desireable if you want to have more detailed reporting.

Not just that, but it allows the M1 to seize the line to dial out. Without the RJ31x anyone could pick up an extension in the house and interrupt comm. With the RJ31x in place the M1 can take exclusive control of the phone line and dial out regardless if there are phones off-hook in the house. You invested in an M1 for security and to do it right, so if you can't find the jack that came with it, go get one at Radio Shack, or if you have DSL then get a nicer DSL filter/RJ/Surge device like the Channel Vision P-0411. For the few dollars it could potentially save your life or property one day.

Correct me if I am wrong BUT if you run the telco into the M1's telco terminal and the house into the other terminals then it does the same thing without being able to disconnect the panel as others have said above...if the panel malfunctions. The RJ131Xhas no "brains" to disconnect anything. This is all done by the M1

edit: just don't parallel the house line with the Telco lines on the M1 ALWAYS use the two separate sets of terminals.

Correct me if I am wrong BUT if you run the telco into the M1's telco terminal and the house into the other terminals then it does the same thing without being able to disconnect the panel as others have said above...if the panel malfunctions. The RJ131Xhas no "brains" to disconnect anything. This is all done by the M1

edit: just don't parallel the house line with the Telco lines on the M1 ALWAYS use the two separate sets of terminals.

That's correct, it's all done on the M1.

Brian

That's correct, it's all done on the M1.

Brian

Okay, good so line seizure will work in my setup since the house phones are only connected to the M1 and the TELCO line goes directly to the M1. The only reason we have a phone line to the house is for the security panel but we may add a cordless phone in the future or maybe a fax so I want to make sure line seizure works. I'll test it as soon as I get a phone...

The purpose of the RJ131X is to allow you to get your phones up and running without the use of a tool etc. If you unplug the RJ131X connection to the panel you are up and running in seconds (and not rewiring anything).

The purpose of the RJ131X is to allow you to get your phones up and running without the use of a tool etc. If you unplug the RJ131X connection to the panel you are up and running in seconds (and not rewiring anything).

Correct and the FCC requires it, I kinda doubt you'll get caught though. :)

Correct and the FCC requires it, I kinda doubt you'll get caught though. :)

I dont know... those FCC secret agents are everywhere :p

Digger,
The M1 Ethernet monitoring works into a central station with a GE Osborn Hoffman OS2000 receiver equiped with an Ethernet card. We keep an active running test account into Security Central in Statesville, NC.

The communication works great for us.

The new SIA Ethernet Reporting protocol is close to be ratified, so then we can have a common Ethernet Reporting Protocol.

Digger,
The M1 Ethernet monitoring works into a central station with a GE Osborn Hoffman OS2000 receiver equiped with an Ethernet card. We keep an active running test account into Security Central in Statesville, NC.

The communication works great for us.

The new SIA Ethernet Reporting protocol is close to be ratified, so then we can have a common Ethernet Reporting Protocol.

I fully understand what receiver is needed . Does Security Central support a DIY account? I think that the M1 Ethernet direct to CS would be AWESOME. I dont anyone has been able to find anyone that supports a DIY account yet. Nextalarm is wrking on it but it may be a while.

To me TCP/IP is the best way to transmit to a CS.

Back