speaker wiring w/ CAV 6.6, what's needed?

IVB said:
Depends on the length of the run. I bi-wired 16/4 for my long runs [100'], used the single 16/4 for both speakers for my short runs.  The single 16/4 was definitely simpler for those.

nice thing is, you can buy just the one spool of 16/4 and you're set. I got some Belkin from markertek.com, can find the model # tomorrow if you're interested. (i *think* it was 5102, not sure). It's awesome - very flexible jacket, was relatively inexpensive to boot. something like $0.30/foot.
Very cool IVB. Sure, if you find it tomorrow, please let me know.

Also, please help me, I keep forgeting the wiring for a room(don't have dedicated receiver) if I want to have a volume controller there. I'm reading this now, http://www.inwallstore.com/-info.html

Please look at the drawing below on the link and tell me which one is correct.

EDIT: link modified

http://restricted.dyndns.org/cav66_and_speakerwires.txt

Thanks!

that "diagram" of your is harsh to read, so here's the wording:

Speakers<-(conect via speaker wire)->local inwall volume controller<--(connect via speaker wire but also run CAT5 if you ever want keypads or those sexy RADI/O panels)-->amp

Also, just remembered that I brought the spool upstairs as i'm hoping to mount speakers in 2 rooms tomorrow/sunday. It's 5102UP, 16/4 Belkin. I can't find the email from a year ago with the price, but it was somewhere in the $0.25-$0.30/foot ballpark. Pretty decent price, I know i love the wire.

ellisr63 said:
I just purchased some 12 gauge speaker wire on eBay..$35.99 for 250' spool.
Problem with 12g is that many amps can't handle wire that big. I know my Sherbourns had a problem with the 16g, and it can't handle speaker plugs so I can't do that. Also, the cover on cheap wire tends to be stiffer and tougher to route, which for my house and runs would be a big problem.

Admittedly, i'm between the 'wire is wire' camp and 'wire runs all' camp. I figured $150 for a 500' spool to connect $1500 worth of speakers was a decent ratio.

IVB said:
that "diagram" of your is harsh to read, so here's the wording:

Speakers<-(conect via speaker wire)->local inwall volume controller<--(connect via speaker wire but also run CAT5 if you ever want keypads or those sexy RADI/O panels)-->amp

Also, just remembered that I brought the spool upstairs as i'm hoping to mount speakers in 2 rooms tomorrow/sunday. It's 5102UP, 16/4 Belkin. I can't find the email from a year ago with the price, but it was somewhere in the $0.25-$0.30/foot ballpark. Pretty decent price, I know i love the wire.
Wait, it should have been .txt

my fingers are typing the .html automatically ;)

go to this link instead,

http://restricted.dyndns.org/cav66_and_speakerwires.txt

I'm sorry ;)

option 3:
Add CAT5e to the option 1 from the CAV66->volume control.

You won't use it in the beginning if you're just using basic volume control dials, but you're future proofing in case you get keypads or RADI/O.

BTW: Make sure you get impedance matching volume controls. I got nice Niles ones for $34/each [i can PM you the store], dirt-cheap, $70 normally.

IVB said:
option 3:
Add CAT5e to the option 1 from the CAV66->volume control.

You won't use it in the beginning if you're just using basic volume control dials, but you're future proofing in case you get keypads or RADI/O.

BTW: Make sure you get impedance matching volume controls. I got nice Niles ones for $34/each [i can PM you the store], dirt-cheap, $70 normally.
So option 1 then. But I want 5.1 setup in a room, I just might as well put a dedicated receiver right.

Sure, pm me the volume control.

Ok, I'm going to read up on your thread again and pick up some brains there. ;)

Thanks for helping out.

Oh, yes, that wiring is only for rooms that go directly to speakers.

For 5.1 rooms, run that dual RG6 from the CAV66->receiver like we talked about before.

Option 4:

Same as Option 3 but add another Cat5 and a 18/2

This way you can have a Keypad, Touch Screen or a Rad-I/O along with an Intercom location.

Option 5:

Same as Option 4 or 3 but add a cat5 from the keypad to the TV location so you can extend the IR on the Keypad to the TV. This way you do not have to point a IR Remote at the Keypad when you are using the Video fuctions of the CAV on the TV. You can point at the TV. That is if you use a Russound Advanced Keypad.

so for option 4, you have 2 CAT5? I can see one being used for the keypad/RADI-O, what would the 2nd one be used for?

Also, is the 18/2 for power?

IVB said:
so for option 4, you have 2 CAT5? I can see one being used for the keypad/RADI-O, what would the 2nd one be used for?

Wow, that's nice connectivity. I have updated the .txt file with upto OPTION 3. ;)

I'll think about it as I may ran out of UTP cable.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
IVB said:

Wow, that's nice connectivity. I have updated the .txt file with upto OPTION 3. ;)

You didn't do the option 3 quite right - the CAT5 and 16/4 run to the same single gang box. You put an inwall volume controller there now, if you want to put in a RADI/O you'd probably want to take out the volume controller and add that in. I say probably as I doubt you'd want both there, although that's certainly an option. [well, technically you need to use their box as it's slightly wider than a single gang. ]

IVB said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
IVB said:

You didn't do the option 3 quite right - the CAT5 and 16/4 run to the same single gang box. You put an inwall volume controller there now, if you want to put in a RADI/O you'd probably want to take out the volume controller and add that in. I say probably as I doubt you'd want both there, although that's certainly an option. [well, technically you need to use their box as it's slightly wider than a single gang. ]
Yep, thanks for the correction. I'll make sure that those wires are butting each other when I run them to each room. What is the size of the hole you drill in each stud, 3/8"s?

By the way, do you have pictures of the wiring project you are doing in your home?

EDIT: I went to markertek.com but I can't find the Belkin speaker 16/4 wire. Maybe, they're not selling it anymore.

By the way, do you have pictures of the wiring project you are doing in your home?
Well, i took some yesterday of the nice hole that I accidentally made in the ceiling cuz I got a little curious about how the tool worked. Other than that, no pictures.

I'm retrofitting existing construction, so it would be a fantastically boring picture.
Imagine a ceiling with no holes.
Then imagine me screwing it up cuz it's plaster&lathe, and frankly the lathe is 96 years old so it's seriously a PITA to cut.
Then, there's a speaker there. There's some fallen out plaster to the side, which I won't fix until I mount "every" speaker and in-wall volume unit cuz I don't feel like mixing plaster more than once.

Now pictures of the Elk, the rack( with the HTPC, HAPC, amps, Xantech, Polk XRt12, Denon), and the 2ndary cabinet - once those are done, those would be pictures worth seeing...

IVB said:

Second cat5 for the Russound ComPoint or a Cat5 Intercom Station. 18/2 for power on some Touch Screens

Back