speaker wiring w/ CAV 6.6, what's needed?

pkoslow said:
Shipping will always be spendy on this type of wire due to the weight. I'd recommend trying to find a local source. If you're in a metro area with a home center, you may look there. The Home Depot here stocks CL-2 rated 16/2 & 16/4 speaker wire but not sure if they all do?

There's also likely a electric supply company within easy driving distance. Not all will sell retail, but some will if you ask even if they don't advertise. Greybar http://www.graybar.com has some Il locations and will sell to retail customers at the counter. Check to see if there is one close by. They don't always stock this stuff, so call first as they can order it in within a couple days.

Cheers,
Paul
BAM BAM BAM! Home Depot carries 16/4 inwall speakers for $126/500ft. WHoooh just like when Taylor Hicks shouts! ;)

v1rtu0s1ty said:
ellisr63 said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
hey guys,

Can you please send me an online reliable store to where I can buy a 16/4 speaker wire? AO doesn't have them.

Thanks,

Neil
Try this.. You can bid on it and save some money too..
http://www.smarthome.com/8515.HTML
I would never buy a Monster cable as they are overpriced like Bose systems. :) I only need simple 16/4 speaker wire since the speakers that I will be putting isn't going to be for home theater, just for relaxing music. As long as it meets the inwall specs, UL/CL, etc, I'm good with that. I'm going to contact Markettek.
Oh... I've been Boycotting Monster Cable myself for the last few years since I saw that they were suing everyone under the sun for using the word "Monster".

Thank you guys for helping me out on the other thread(home security). I remember somewhere on my thread that I really don't need wiring for lighting control. It's because, I'm going to use UPB protocol which uses powerline. Am I correct? And I remember that I need to change my ON/OFF switches in order to talk to the other device that talks UPB.

If not, then I may need to find out what runs I need to run from basement to each room.

Please help. ;)

Thanks,

Ronneil

toymaster458 said:
Option 4:

Same as Option 3 but add another Cat5 and a 18/2

This way you can have a Keypad, Touch Screen or a Rad-I/O along with an Intercom location.
Hi toymaster, I'm assuming the keypad you mentioned here is for CAV6.6, right? What will that keypad allow me to do? Is that the UNO-S2?

If you recall in my other thread, I'm going to use the 22/12 wires. I'm planning to hook that 18/2 to the 2 conductors from 22/12. Does that 18/2 you are mentioning for power needed for the Touch Screen?

Thanks,

Ronneil

v1rtu0s1ty said:
toymaster458 said:
Option 4:

This way you can have a Keypad, Touch Screen or a Rad-I/O along with an Intercom location.
Hi toymaster, I'm assuming the keypad you mentioned here is for CAV6.6, right? What will that keypad allow me to do? Is that the UNO-S2?

If you recall in my other thread, I'm going to use the 22/12 wires. I'm planning to hook that 18/2 to the 2 conductors from 22/12. Does that 18/2 you are mentioning for power needed for the Touch Screen?

Thanks,

Ronneil
Correct it would be for an UNO-S2. The 18/2 can be for power or IR. Mostly for future changes.

I would not hookup any 18/2 to the 22/12 that is running power unless you want to fry your 22/12 line. ;)

This is one of many reasons I would keep everything a seperate home run.

toymaster458 said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
toymaster458 said:
Option 4:

Thanks,

Ronneil
Correct it would be for an UNO-S2. The 18/2 can be for power or IR. Mostly for future changes.

I would not hookup any 18/2 to the 22/12 that is running power unless you want to fry your 22/12 line. :D

This is one of many reasons I would keep everything a seperate home run.
Ok, will do. Thanks for the heads up. :)

I'm a bit confused. Is this thread of mine here can be considered a Home Automation (not to include the home security on the other thread, just this thread)?

v1rtu0s1ty said:
I'm a bit confused. Is this thread of mine here can be considered a Home Automation (not to include the home security on the other thread, just this thread)?
I think you have been working way to hard on this stuff today and should rest as I have no idea what you mean... :)

BraveSirRobbin said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
I think you have been working way to hard on this stuff today and should rest as I have no idea what you mean... :)
:D What I really mean was, putting speaker wires all throughout the house, putting UPB capable devices, and russound devices plus its keypads can be considered a Home Automation project. I'm having a hard time expressing what I really meant.

For home security, it was really easy because all of the devices we used are for monitoring. Now for my home automation, can it be considered home automation if I'm just putting speakers wires, speakers, volume control, keypad, russound equipments all throughout the house?

I think it is because I referred to the 22/16 he is using on the other thread of security. Instead of posting twice about splicing an 18/2 power to a 22 gauge wire I just posted it here.

toymaster458 said:
Who know what who knows anymore. :D
to much going on at once. LOL :)
Hehe, that's what I was thinking.

Anyway now that I totaly lost track of this thread I did want to say that you might want to have your electrician install "just the wires" for a 220 volt in a double gang box near your breaker box (with dedicated breakers) (if it's feasible location) while all of this wiring is going on.

Have him just cap the wires off inside that box and place a blank cover over it. This way if you ever decide to put a coupler/repeater in you will have a place to do it. :D

v1rtu0s1ty said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
:D What I really mean was, putting speaker wires all throughout the house, putting UPB capable devices, and russound devices plus its keypads can be considered a Home Automation project. I'm having a hard time expressing what I really meant.

For home security, it was really easy because all of the devices we used are for monitoring. Now for my home automation, can it be considered home automation if I'm just putting speakers wires, speakers, volume control, keypad, russound equipments all throughout the house?
v1rtu0s1ty, go to bed, go directly to bed... Do not pass GO, do not collect $200! :D

Ok guys, I need your experties again. I'm working on the audio/video wiring. Can someone please comment on my new diagram for audio/video distribution?

1. and also, which wires should go to a single gang box? Should I join speaker wires and 18/2 or speaker wires and CAT5E?
2. Does the volume control and keypad use the same gangbox?
3. What about RADI/O, does it need dedicated gang box?
4. What about Intercom, does it need dedicated gang box?
5. Are my wire configuration enough to handle volume control, keypad/radi|o and intercom?

FAMILY ROOM wires
3 runs of 16/4 wires for 5 speakers(2 runs will be separated for FL/FR and SL/SR)
4 runs of RG6 QUAD SHIELD
2 runs of CAT5E
1 run of 18/2

DEN ROOM wires
1 run of 16/4 wires for 2 speakers(wire will be separated 2 create 2 pairs)
2 runs of CAT5E
1 run of 18/2

GARAGE
2 runs of CAT5E

LOFT
1 run of 16/4 wires for 2 speakers(wire will be separated 2 create 2 pairs)
2 runs of CAT5E
1 run of 18/2

MASTER BEDROOM
3 runs of 16/4 wires for 5 speakers(2 runs will be separated for FL/FR and SL/SR)
4 runs of RG6 QUAD SHIELD
2 runs of CAT5E
1 run of 18/2

Here are the new diagrams.

http://restricted.dyndns.org/1stfloor_audi...stribution.html
http://restricted.dyndns.org/2ndfloor_audi...stribution.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ronneil

Back