The End is Near for HomeSeer 1.7x

Rupp said:
The updater is a different issue. Let me talk to Rich and get the scoop on this.
That's exactly the point. Even if 1.7 is the most stable thing there is, if it can't be reinstalled then you're cooked if something happens to your PC. Now you're getting to the root of the potential problem being discussed here. :D

Rupp said:
TCassio said:
Maybe the discontinuing of the 1.7 product, which is rock solid, is because of the illegal use of this product, due to lack of protection and control.
This is one of the reasons.
If HST thinks that stopping support and killing the updater will convince illegal users of HS1.x to buy HS2 at $199, then I respectfully disagree and think they are dreaming. They will either continue to illegally use what they have or switch to something else they can obtain & use. If HS2 hasn't been cracked yet, then that may force the illegal users to go to a crackable competitor, but I seriously doubt they will shell out $199. If they were to spend the $199, how many years use & support are they guaranteed? It appears that some HS1.7 users might be only getting a little over a year for their money. Tight rules only hurt the honest people. Rupp, looks at yourself & iVista.

I don't have much to add to the discussion, but I do remember there is a way to install files usng the updater program but already having the files on your computer. I used it quite a bit when I was testing the install file for some of the things I have in the updater.

I havent posted in this thread yet, and frankly I'm rather impressed with myself because of it. There have been too many places where I could have dragged the maturity level to a new low, but I havent. I do have to post now, though, because I have an interesting take on the whole thing.

Here goes:

HS1.7 was released about 2 years ago. (this is nothing but a supporting statement)

Windows 98 was released in the fall of 1997. If in 1999, Microsoft would have made an announcement to the effect of "Hey in 5 months we'll no longer let you update, and we will no longer support windows 98, GO BUY WINDOWS ME AHAHAHAHA." The entire IT would would have revolted. Hell, the entire windows using world would have revolted. Why? Because 98 worked just fine, and ME just did not work as well (to put it mildly). Instead, microsoft has continued to offer the downloads for windows 98 as well as support for nearly 10 years.

Microsoft is a little different than HST you may say.

I can still get support for Norton AntiVirus 2000, and a brand new version of NAV costs 30 bucks.

In my mind, when you already have the infrastructure to at least continue offering downloads for any product, you do it. Microsoft has ended support for 98, but I can still get updates up to 7/06. If you try to take away the free will of the people who CHOOSE to buy your product and support your company by FORCING them to buy a new version, they WILL go elsewhere as soon as they can. Why? Because they work hard for the money, and if you try to get it from them in underhanded ways, they will refuse.

While there are issues with 2.x level HS, you cannot expect people who demand five-nines to switch to it.

Explain to me where I'm wrong, if I am. And if I am not, take it as a lesson.

Guy Lavoie said:
Rupp said:
The updater is a different issue. Let me talk to Rich and get the scoop on this.
That's exactly the point. Even if 1.7 is the most stable thing there is, if it can't be reinstalled then you're cooked if something happens to your PC. Now you're getting to the root of the potential problem being discussed here. :D
But it can be reinstalled. Just put in your CD and select the install. If you do not have a CD then you have 5 months to make one. Then go to the installer and grab the files you have license for and down load them and write them to disk. If you back up your HS install you will have a copy of all the files you installed via the updater in the folder C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\updates

Rupp said:
BSR,
Come on now. What product exists today that does what HomeSeer does that is being added to daily buy plugin authors that you can leave up for weeks.

CQC, It does pretty much everything HomeSeer does and more and it does it with 99% stability.

All software has its qwerks but its the business model that is scaring people away from HomeSeer. Rupp, with all do respect...Have you given CQC a try lately. You really should just so that you can compare them.

My previous CQC setup was up over a year before I brought it down to move it, and then it was up for almost that long again before I replaced it. CQC was upgraded a number of times along the way, but that just stops CQC, upgrades it, and starts it back up. The machine never was shut off and the system never leaked a byte that I could see. Had to unplug and plug back in the GC-100 (that I used back then) a couple times for some reason.

But you definitely can have an uber-stable software based automation system.

Rupp said:
If you back up your HS install you will have a copy of all the files you installed via the updater in the folder C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\updates
And then what do we do with them?

And what if I decide next January that I wish to purchase a new plugin? Win95 still lets me purchase and install new apps.

Squintz said:
Rupp said:
BSR,
  Come on now.  What product exists today that does what HomeSeer does that is being added to daily buy plugin authors that you can leave up for weeks.

CQC, It does pretty much everything HomeSeer does and more and it does it with 99% stability.

All software has its qwerks but its the business model that is scaring people away from HomeSeer. Rupp, with all do respect...Have you given CQC a try lately. You really should just so that you can compare them.
Thanks for the offer Squintz but I have what I need. I've written so many plugins that I wouldn't want to do them again.

WayneW said:
Rupp said:
If you back up your HS install you will have a copy of all the files you installed via the updater in the folder C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\updates

And what if I decide next January that I wish to purchase a new plugin? Win95 still lets me purchase and install new apps.
You'd better get what you want while you can. Most of the plugins in the 1.7 updater will probably not be supported by then anyway. Many plugin authors are already going with HS 2.x plugins only.

WayneW said:
Rupp said:

Exactly! What if my SlinkE fails next year and I have to find a replacement for IR control (And Rupp the SlinkE isn't that stable on HS 2.x and once again HST dropped support for that plugin, but at least they made the code is available). With no updater available for 1.x I'd be up $#!& creek. Sure I could upgrade to HS 2.x, but then my serial Way2Call would be no use. I think the best solution would be for HST to make a CD available for purchase (at an affordable price, or aleast provide instructions for making one) that contains ALL the latest plugins and change the 1.7 updater to read from the CD vs searching the web. That way those of us still on 1.7 can have a backup solution. Plus we would still need a way to purchase a license code for those old plugins if we required one.

Drop support, most of us that are posting on this thread don't care the support is going away. It's access to the Updater files after this year that we are all griping about.

The Pod

Rupp said:
You'd better get what you want while you can.
And that attitude is why so many of us love HST! Is that your opinion or an HST policy statement? Like I said, I can still purchase and install Win95 apps if I wish. I guess HST doesn't want any revenue from 1.7 users anymore?

Rupp said:
Most of the plugins in the 1.7 updater will probably not be supported by then anyway. Many plugin authors are already going with HS 2.x plugins only.
And if the plugins work, they generally don't need support. Since 1.7 isn't changing, why should the plugin need changing?

BTW, will HST be sending an email to all the HS1.x users informing them of the 12/31/2006 deadline? Rupp, you yourself admitted that there are many HS users that do not use the message board, so how are they supposed to know of this new policy?

Back