The End is Near for HomeSeer 1.7x

Rupp said:
upstatemike said:
electron said:
...That's all, there are no hard feelings at all.
Wait. Don't let this thread turn all positive yet... I didn't get my turn to beat up on Rupp!
Go ahead I'm ready :D
Darn! Now I can't think of anything. I'll get you next time. I'm sure HST will do something else pretty soon that will be your fault.

Rupp said:
If 1.7 plugins were selling to you think they would pull the plug?

I give. :D
Well I just purchased the Elk Plugin last month for 1.7 from HST. They sent me both license codes (1.7 & 2.x) because I've purchased the 2.x upgrade before they raised the price on that way back when (another gripe session about forcing to upgrade), but I'm still on and using the Elk plugin on 1.7. If HST is telling you the plugins for 1.7 are not selling (explain my last month purchase), how can they base that if most of us bought the 2.x upgrade, but choose not to upgrade at this time because 1.7 is more stable to us or certain devices/plugins do not work or are not supported on 2.x. Maybe since HS 2.x is web licensed now, they know from their database what license codes are out there and it also tracks # of installs, etc. They might want to compare the list of sold licenses to that of which licenses have actually been installed. It seems to me that there is a whole lot of us still on 1.7 even though we've purchased 2.x.

The Pod

I've got to chime in.

Why are some of you attacking Rupp? Just because he is here??

Rupp is trying to answer questions (and defend) a product that we all know he is very passoniate about. But Rupp doesn't make policy for HST. He just helps support the product, and us HS users.

I started with HS 1.7 and upgraded to HS 2.x. My modest installation does what I expect it to do.

Why? Because of Rupp. Reading the guidance that Rupp has offered on the HS board for all of these years, really helped me get my HS system going. My post count on the HS board is probably less than 20. I haven't needed to ask questions in a post, just used the search feature and found where Rupp had helped dozens of others that ask the same question that was on my mind.

Do I agree with HST proposed business model? No I don't.

But that's not Rupp's fault! In my opinion, Rupp is the HS user's friend and helper. Always has been, and I hope will be for a long time to come!

Bash HST (the company) all you want, but let's not get personal to Rupp, please.
Most of us owe him a long overdue thanks for his help over the years with our HS installs.

A comment was made many threads back that CT is known as the HS bashing board (or something to that effect). Anyone remember when CT was considered a "PRO" HS board?

My thanks to e and BSR for allowing CT to be an "open" board where opinions can be freely expressed both Pro and Con.

OT: What I said about Rupp also applies to Guy and the Ocelot. Using search on the ADI board, I was able to find Guy's answers to every possible Ocelot question I had, without hardly ever having to make a post.

THREE CHEERS to all of the people on the boards that freely volunteer their time and offer their expertise to help us all.

As far as I'm concerned, BASH the products and the companies all you want, but don't BASH the individuals that have helped us all so much over the years.

My .02

But Skibum has shown remarkable restraint, don't you think? I consider that progress, very substantial progress indeed.

I've been reading everything in this thread, and while I do agree with what the 1.7 users are saying, you could not pay me enough to go back to 1.7. :)

Even with the reliability issues 2.1 is clearly a better product for my needs.

I haven't spoke to HST in quite a while, but I can understand how a small software company needs to concentrate full efforts on their new flagship product. Cinemar needs to do the same with MainLobby 2 now that MainLobby 3 is released. For us it's a matter of concentration and resources. Nothing else. I have a feeling that at the root of it, that might be the same story for Homeseer.

If I were in HST I would look at the current product (HS2.1) and ask if it is reliable, robust and covering most needs. If so, I would look at the blackboard on the cool stuff I want to add to the new product and look at which developers are sleeping at their desk. If I can't find one, and they look more like they worked an 18hr development shift, I would seriously be looking at spending the remaining development and support resources (which intermingle in a small company) and GO FORWARD.

With what I see in my own HS2.1 installation, I think the time was right for HST to go forward. Rock on.

JohnBullard brings up a good point, but also I would like to just reiterate some facts as posts such as this one sometimes cloud them:

1. NO CocoonTech Staff Member suggested Rupp (or anyone else) stop replying to this thread or stop giving their opinion. He has posted 34 replies to this thread and is welcome to post 34 more (but that’s it Rupp,…just kidding :D ).

2. We have nothing against him and always welcome his helpful insight and experience to our membership. Heck, I just recently mailed him a connector/adapter for his antenna that I knew he was having a hard time finding (you don’t do things like that to people you don’t like :) !).

3. I have stated my personal respect for Rick and Rich early in this thread.

4. Most of my How-To’s (which I consider the flagship of CocoonTech) have automation software examples in them using, you guessed it, HomeSeer (not bad for a “HomeSeer bashing†site).

5. CocoonTech welcomes staff members from HomeSeer such as Rupp, Rick, and Rich (as well as from other vendors such as Mario and DavidL from Cinemar, Dean from CQC, Spanky from Elk, etc…). We welcome these vendors as they help our membership with their product expertise and insight. Do we turn a “blind eye†to the “occasional†self-advertising? Welllllll….maybe, but these people also go a long way to help solve problems on this board!! All of them are quality people!

6. I see a couple of members who have not posted often, post repeatedly in this thread (good to see them contributing)!

7. Most members are wondering what Robin Meade has to do with this thread.

8. Didn’t BSR previously state he wouldn’t post here any more? :)

Regards,

BSR

Yeah, that's the post that crossed the line for me. My wife was wondering why I was searching Google images for Robin Meade. Answer: I didn't recognize the name, but she did happen to look at the laptop monitor at the exact moment Google Images came up.

IVB said:

Yeah, that's the post that crossed the line for me. My wife was wondering why I was searching Google images for Robin Meade. Answer: I didn't recognize the name, but she did happen to look at the laptop monitor at the exact moment Google Images came up.
I had the exact same thing happen! Makes you wonder if they really are ignoring you like they always seem to do... Thanks BSR, that's at least two of us in the doghouse. :)
Terry

These polite debates do bring out the best in us. It also brings out valid points that need to be addressed. We are all here for the same reason. Having fun and automating our homes with what we see is the best solutions for each of us. If it provoked a few BB users to post then it had excellent side effect. I have to thank JohnBullard for the kind words. I do enjoy helping others. It's in my blood. I just happened to get started with HomeSeer and well that's that. A thanks goes out to BSR as well because without his assistance and kind act I wouldn't be receiving all of my Rf signals. I'm the soft side of HomeSeer so give me a bit of time to work on the hard sides and we'll see what we can accomplish for the long time HS 1.7 users.

Rupp said:
I'm the soft side of HomeSeer so give me a bit of time to work on the hard sides and we'll see what we can accomplish for the long time HS 1.7 users.
Thanks Rupp! We will give you until 12/30/2006 to convince Rich to keep the updater running. :huh:

Hi Guys,

I read through all the posts and I understand your concern. Our plan was not to leave anyone stranded. After Dec 31, if anyone needs to re-install their system, we will provide any licensed user with an installer that includes all the plugins from the 1.7 updater.

We really want EVERYONE to move to HS 2.1. If you cannot move, please open a help desk ticket and we will do our best to help you get your system moved. It is SO much better than 1.7 I really don't know what you're waiting for.

Regards,

Richard Helmke
HomeSeer Technologies LLC
www.homeseer.com

rjh said:
After Dec 31, if anyone needs to re-install their system, we will provide any licensed user with an installer that includes all the plugins from the 1.7 updater.
That is really good news. Thanks for listening to the community.

Back