The End is Near for HomeSeer 1.7x

WayneW said:
deranged said:
I didn't realize that HS 1.7x still had so many users,  glad to hear I am not the only 1 being left behind..
megapoll3 said:
HomeSeer 1.x      [ 8 ]
HomeSeer 2.x    [ 15 ]
So you certainly aren't alone here. I have no idea what the ratio is out in the real world or even on the HS message board.
I only wish there was some way to get a real or better number of ACTUAL INSTALLS for HS1 & HS2.

I think there are more HS1's than anyone thinks. Even the count of HS2 purchases is not a good way to use since I would guess because the early purchase pressure was pretty strong and many like myself bought the insurance policy but haven't installed yet.

Rupp said:
AutomatedOutlet said:
I'm probably the last guy on planet earth that doesn't carry a cell phone.

Hehe - but I'll bet your kids do <_<
Yep. Both my kids have them. :D
Heck, I have 2 functioning cellphones [I switch the SIM cards from the nice, 8125 to the cheap motorola flip phone if I'm concerned about damaging it, i.e. at a bar]. My 4 yr old has my broken treo 300 cellphone, and my 2yr old has the broken siemens one.

Then again, you may have guessed that given most of my posts here.

Before this thread gets completely hijacked, can we get a reply from HST about how us loyal HS 1.7 users can protect themselves?

I still use 1.7 and REFUSE to buy 2.0... for MANY reasons stated here and several rants I posted on the HS forum itself.

HS's business practices have gone to crap and they are all about the $ now. Nickel and Diming everyone, charging for almost every plug-in... and they are not cheap either!

Do a backup of your HS install... save it and keep it safe.

I'll upgrade (or downgrade) to v2.0 when they offer it free to 1.7 users.

I'm more likely to change software then to pay what HS is asking for v2...

oh yeah... I was a HUGE advocate of HS until they pulled the v2 crap.

I spent time writing scripts and customizing the web server... all my code given away for free (like many others did that I benefited from). HS has screwed us over by changing the way they do business.

If you want to send a message... don't buy HS v2, ever!

I still use HS 1.7 because it does everything I need. I bought HS2 upgrade insurance but never installed it. I will some day. But I do want to be able to re-install 1.7 if I ever need to. I know I can make an image of my HD with ghost or such but I'm not sure that is going to be the best way to protect my investment as any new data I add to my system will not be included on the backup. Also it does not allow me to install new plugins to HS 1.7 if I didn't already have them.

I hope someone (HST) figures out a way to make a local backup of all the installable plugins for HS 1.7 for all of us legacy users.

The way HS 1.x installs a plugin is it downloads the plugin, unzips it, and then installs it.
If you make a backup of the homeseer/updates directory, you will have a copy of all the plugins you have installed. It keeps both the initial zip file and a copy of each of the unzipped files.

Couldn't you guys use something like Norton Ghost periodically also assure you that could almost push-button-restore an image of your hard disk onto a new hard disk on crash?

CFGuy said:
The way HS 1.x installs a plugin is it downloads the plugin, unzips it, and then installs it.
If you make a backup of the homeseer/updates directory, you will have a copy of all the plugins you have installed. It keeps both the initial zip file and a copy of each of the unzipped files.
How is the package installed if you cannot download it, but you already have it on your hard disk? I don't see an executable, like setup.exe, in the package.

Has anybody determined where the updates come from? I assume they are coming via FTP, so we should be able to find the server. Then we could download all the plugins & scripts without installing them, to give us options in the future.

Agreed, IVB for the same hardware platform. another issue when trying to move to a different chipset platform where the image won't boot. Exception is tru-image that has option to run the hardware installer again.

oh, sorry, i didn't realize that wouldn't work if you had a different mobo.

What's that tru-image thing that you're talking about?

Aaron said:
I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. I guess some users expect the HomeSeer tech team to work day in and day out and give it away free.

I really don't expect HS to give anything away for free.

I purchased HS for 29.95, and so far I think it has been the best 30 bucks I have ever spent on software. Throw in the upgrade I purchased during the special and I am still way ahead.

What I do expect is a rock solid stable platform, and I have no problems staying behind on my HS 1.7x install while almost everyone(?) else runs HS 2.1

I really can't remember the last time I had a problem with my HS 1.7x or needed to reboot for any other reason than MS updates.

I know HS 2.x in time will be even as rock solid or better, and I recently have been impressed that Rich himself is making more of an appearance in the forums again.

StevenE

Rupp said:
Aaron said:
I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. I guess some users expect the HomeSeer tech team to work day in and day out and give it away free.
See, I try and be nice and keep things on a polite and professional level and then you taunt us like that? I guess some people at HST think that their paying customers (guinea pigs) should do all the troubleshooting and beta testing for them.

Aaron, you shouldn't hold your breath because apparently HST thinks the only time you deserve an upgrade discount is while the code is still very alpha/beta phase and totally unproven. I understand that most everybody is finally happy with 2.1, nearly a YEAR after HS 2 was released and nearly a year after the upgrade discount expired.

rjh said:
We really want EVERYONE to move to HS 2.1. If you cannot move, please open a help desk ticket and we will do our best to help you get your system moved. It is SO much better than 1.7 I really don't know what you're waiting for.

Regards,
Richard Helmke
HomeSeer Technologies LLC
Rich, if you want to see if people will move to HS2, how about bringing back the $39 upgrade, now that the product appears stable?

Back