Thinking of moving to Z Wave from insteon.

gizzmo

Years ago I received a call from a Smart Home Pro rep and decided to install some Insteon gear. It seemed to work OK and I liked it but then the problems started up. The biggest problem I had was the double tap or the switch not responding to the first press. it was so bad that to this day I still double hit light switches. I just have gotten the feeling that Insteon may not be in my future. I have some old X-10 installations that need updating and being a security dealer I have noticed that Z Wave is growing and looks to become the standard protocol that security manufactures are adopting. Here are some Z Wave questions if anyone would like to answer.

I will be trying out Honeywell's Tuxedo this week but would also like a more robust scheduler.

Is there a controller that can run my lighting schedules without constant computer connection? Most people are moving away from the desk top computers and using laptops. I really like it when my on/off is set to a changing schedule of sunup and sundown based on my geographic location.

What is the preferred method of getting contact closure to start or stop an event?

Are there any plug in chimes? I use the old X-10 chimes for driveway annunciation because it solve the "its to loud or soft" problem, here plug these in where you like them.

What is the best Z Wave switches, modules and outlets manufacturer? Where is the best play to buy?

Any major problems or down side to using Z Wave?

Thanks in advance.

I would check out UPB as well. There are some nice contact input/output modules from Simply Automated that would handle your needs for contacts triggering an event. They also have a wall wort scheduler that runs without a PC. I don't recall anyone making a chime module, but you could easily use the IO module for that.

The early Insteon SwitchLinc modules had a problem with the tact switches getting flaky.
Smarthome/Smartlabs did extend the waranty on them to seven years.
Since you had it done by an Insteon installer they maybe able to get replcaements. If you care to investsgate it.

Have you ever seen Cortexa's controller? We have a new system available that sounds like it would be right up your alley. It can communicate with both Z-Wave, Insteon and many other systems such as UPB, DSC, Elk all at the same time.

The early Insteon SwitchLinc modules had a problem with the tact switches getting flaky.
Smarthome/Smartlabs did extend the waranty on them to seven years.
Since you had it done by an Insteon installer they maybe able to get replcaements. If you care to investsgate it.

I was a very early in the Insteon life cycle and installed it in my own home but decided that it wasn't quite ready for prime time. I would have probably given it another try but when I reached out to smart home they came across as rude and disinterested. this wasn't regarding warranty issues but to buy new product. I can buy product from many outlets but they have a lock on Insteon, so I guess its time to move on or at least explore something new. Z Wave has a lot of support from the security industry so that is why I am looking into it, its what I do for a living.

Have you ever seen Cortexa's controller? We have a new system available that sounds like it would be right up your alley. It can communicate with both Z-Wave, Insteon and many other systems such as UPB, DSC, Elk all at the same time.
Where can I see it? PM me about it.

What I want is something that I can download or leave connected to a router or wi-fi and have run on "auto" until I need to change something.

Have you installed the tuxedo yet? wanting to see if you have had any luck with the schedule. also, I have been using the Leviton Rf and so far have had good luck. dimmers, 15amp switch, wall wort dimmer and a 110v recpt. on the recpt, it seems to have problems getting the command the first time. I am using the recpt for landscape lighting and had to install a wall worth near to make work (only 20 ft from the tuxedo), kind of weird. The reason I am asking about the schedule, I cant seem to make it work with time only, no trigger.

I have not installed yet but still plan to. I have been looking into Vera lite too but may wait on that one. I am getting really confused with the leviton selection of switches and particularly the four button ones. When I go to the leviton site it has the same generic description for all of them. I am hoping to find a good listing chat of features. Then I need a good source to buy from. I was wondering what Graybar electric pricing is like since I have an account there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Switching from Insteon to anything is a great idea!
You may want to look at the history of some of the suggestions in this thread though, you don't want to spend your money on something only to find out they won't be around very long. Stick to the tried and true is what I always say, it pays out in the long run.

I have not installed yet but still plan to. I have been looking into Vera lite too but may wait on that one. I am getting really confused with the leviton selection of switches and particularly the four button ones. When I go to the leviton site it has the same generic description for all of them. I am hoping to find a good listing chat of features. Then I need a good source to buy from. I was wondering what Graybar electric pricing is like since I have an account there.

We also have a gbar account and i found better deals online. Call these guys and ask for Bill, Automated Outlet. they have great deals and tech support.

I ordered the Tuxedo and the Honeywell thermostat today, now if could just figure out what switches to get.

We also have a gbar account and i found better deals online. Call these guys and ask for Bill, Automated Outlet. they have great deals and tech support.

That is what I figured but it doesn't hurt to ask the Leviton rep for pricing. I will definitely call Bill, thanks for the tip!

Graybar called today "we want to reach out to you and help you with your data and telcom". What I need is pricing on zwave. "no problem... What is zwave? "

Back