Tips/Advice for Panel Layout

DEL,

I had never thought of doing that before, but really like the options of being able to remotely power cycle devices as needed. Definitely something I'll be looking into doing.

Having said that, have you considered doing anything similar for the main board itself? Obviously you'd have to be careful not to lock yourself out (e.g. turn off panel), but having a relay turn off for X seconds could work...

We just made an offer on a home and are looking to be moving soon. The home we're looking at has no LV wired infrastructure, so I'll have a bit of a road ahead getting everything put in as I want it. In the meantime, it gives me time to come up with new ideas and ways to do different things.

Also, there are devices which will power cycle based on ping result (to IP you specify).  I think I remember reading that they even have a delay between two AC outlets, one for the modem and one for the router (if needed).  Of course, this may present more problems, but just wanted to throw this option out there.

At the old house I often wondered the merit of coming up with something resetting a relay (power) based on a phone ring/numbers entered.

If you have to power cycle the panel, you've got bigger issues. UL wouldn't allow such a failure and list the panel for the purpose. In the case of the XEP, it's doubtful the issue would be the XEP, but more likely the router and what it's doing, but resetting the XEP is easy enough.

I've experienced on 2 sites where the XEP is set static, connected to a Sisco switch and for whatever reason, occasionally it's unreachable yet pingable, but a reboot always fixed it. Never dug deep enough to find out what's going on since it's a network segment I don't maintain and out of my realm/responsibility. Giving a way to reboot via a rule, a phone command or even periodically would at least prevent an end user having to reboot or a truck roll.....

DELInstallations said:
If you have to power cycle the panel, you've got bigger issues. UL wouldn't allow such a failure and list the panel for the purpose. In the case of the XEP, it's doubtful the issue would be the XEP, but more likely the router and what it's doing, but resetting the XEP is easy enough.

I've experienced on 2 sites where the XEP is set static, connected to a Sisco switch and for whatever reason, occasionally it's unreachable yet pingable, but a reboot always fixed it. Never dug deep enough to find out what's going on since it's a network segment I don't maintain and out of my realm/responsibility. Giving a way to reboot via a rule, a phone command or even periodically would at least prevent an end user having to reboot or a truck roll.....

Not necessarily. The XSLZW needs to run it's Discovery Mode if new Zwave devices are added. From the manual, "Discovery Mode normally activates ONLY when the M1XSLZW is powered up." The XSLZW is powered via the data bus.

Granted, that is not the ONLY way to enter Discovery Mode, but it is a way...

And I would counter that if you're having Zwave issues, it's generally not going to be a mission critical item with a single exception, a T-stat whose normal schedule is overridden for extra economy, but it's still not going to be a mission critical item; the property isn't going to bake or freeze as long as the hard coded setpoints are logically "normal". In the case of an XEP, it would be more likely to be used as a monitoring application behind a modem and router, which would also be something I'd look at a remote reset on (delayed restart also).

I know there's a reason why I don't use Zwave for critical applications, only convenience items. Others may lean on it that much harder (lighting and other inputs into the system)

Discovery Mode isn't for Zwave issues, it's required when you add new devices to your Zwave network. During the Discovery Mode, the XSLZW performs a handshake with the VRC0P to get a mapping of what devices are available to communicate with.

I do agree, that this would not be a mission critical item, but I was thinking along the lines of other items that could be wired such that a reboot would be possible without having to physically access the panel. Heck, I'm not even thinking of trucks rolling and associated time/money. I'm thinking in terms of my own residence and being able to me more automated (e.g. lazy) with adding devices and programming...

(1) I think I've decided to try and keep everything in the 28in can.  I'll pull everything down the left side and loop back up towards the middle of the can, turn right, and then up into each of the input expanders.

4d1739a475a9eb2c5f7f190a7f4a8992.jpg

...v

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back