Trailer Security System

RMTL

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into building a security system for my trailer that would accomplish some basic goals. I was wondering if anybody can guide me into selecting the right products to build a solution that is both reliable, and affordable. I take my trailer with me to job sites and depending on the job site, my trailer is sometimes out sight and at risk of being stolen or broken into. Other times, I may decide to leave the trailer at the job site or parked outside my shop.

I'm looking into building a system which would have these features:
1. Trigger a siren when
2. Key fob for arming/disarming.
3. Two door sensors to protect the doors.
4. A motion detector to protect against sidewall break ins.
5. Alert me by phone when the alarm goes off.
6. Have an IP camera that I can connect to when the alarm goes off to see live video.
7. GPS sensor which would notify me when the location of the trailer significantly changes when the alarm is armed.
8. Battery monitor which would notify me when the battery is running low.
9. The ability to (ideally) recharge the battery(ies) when my truck is running and plugged into the trailer.

This is what I know that I definitely need. I just don't have any specific products in mind that is best suited and not too expensive. I've been recommended ELK or HAI for the alarm controller but don't know which is better, or if there is another option I should be considering.

What I need:
1. 3G or 4G cellular modem that I can plug in my SIM card.
2. ELK or HAI or other to interface to the modem.

Can anyone chime in and recommend the hardware that I would need to address my wish list?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading up further.

Interesting application. A google search of "construction trailer security system" turns up lots of hits and some really interesting things. Here's one:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/job-site-trailer-alarm-systems-44206/

One system mentioned even locks trailer brakes to stop tow aways. The only issue is integrating all the items you want (and cost of course).

Since this is remote and has to run off a battery for long periods of time (at least a weekend?) you need to keep the current low. I would think some car alarm parts might be better suited than home alarm/automation for that reason alone. A trailer top solar panel might help with this but you still need to watch your power draw.

Thanks for the reply.

I had a look at a few different 'trailer' specific solutions that exist but they seem to be 'closed' solutions with no i/o terminals which would allow me to fill in the gap between their solution and my requirements.

Assuming that I have the power and sensors sorted out, which basic controller (HAI, Elk, other) would interface well with a cell modem (and which one), and which camera is best suited for remote monitoring when the alarm sends out a page/text message?

Tattletale's service doesn't seem to be available in Canada, plus there doesn't seem to be any output that can start a web cam...

I suppose it would be easy enough to roll your own - using a cradlepoint modem you could connect any old IP camera and use dynamic DNS to always be able to reach it; you could adapt a standard car alarm (which is what I'd probably do) or integrate a webcontrol board - or maybe both.

I'm thinking as I type here - but a standard car alarm can be quite flexible if you know what you're doing with it; for example, the "doors" input could be one thing; the "trunk" input could be another; the "hook" another - even potentially a motion sensor or other such device. Of course most car alarms aren't smart enough to communicate over the internet, but they will have specific outputs that will activate when alarming which could trigger a dedicated GSM communication device or work via a webcontrol board connected to a cell modem (which makes it easier to tie in an IP camera).

It's definitely doable - and probably a lot of good ways to make it happen.

If you really want to get nutty, you could get an arduino and a 3G shield with GPS and roll your own entirely - but that's a lot of work.

Back