Trouble Port Forwarding

I have a DVR1 which I can see Internal and External on my IPhone app.  I have another DVR2 that is connected to a modem upstairs which is connected to my main modem from Time Warner.  I know the modem upstairs works as I have a computer on it and can connect to the NET via direct or wifi .  I can see my DVR2 Internal on my iPhone but cannot see it External.  I suspect it is from setting up Port Forwarding in my Time Warner modem.  Based on the diagram in the attachment I have tried to Port Forward 192.168.02.1 and 192.168.2.122 in the Time Warner Modem and get a "Not a Valid IP address".  

I can connect to the upstairs modem using wifi and see DVR2 internal.

Used ping.eu
DVR1 ports 2051 and 9000 are OPEN
DVR2 ports 2061 and 9061 are CLOSED

I suspect it is a Port Forwarding issue and am open to suggestion on how I can see DVR2 External.

TIA

DDawg

Attachments

• Modem setup.jpg
    Modem setup.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 31
Modems do not support port forwarding as they do not know anything about ports at that point.

Routers support LAN addresses (typically 192.168.xxx.yyy) on one side and the Internet addresses (most others) on the other side.
A router's job is to isolate one system from the other system and convert information from the internal side's range of addresses to the external side's IP addresses. This provides a firewall as any requests from the outside range of addresses is not allowed to get through into your LAN/Internal side. None of your LAN devices would understand the Internet IP addresses anyway and vice versa.

Port forwarding is when you setup your router to allow a certain port address (the IP is always the same from you ISP to the router), to be converted (forwarded) to another, or the same port number, but the IP address is converted, at your choice to a LAN IP address from your ISP IP address.

Since routers will never pass (not allowed) the Internal range of IP addresses through to the Internet/external side port forwarding will not work inside your LAN. I don't think routers will convert a LAN IP address/port to and external IP address/port. They are designed to only work the other way for outside access to your LAN equipment. The router may convert the addresses but not in the reverse direction.

DeputyDawg said:
DeputyDawg, on 30 Aug 2017 - 14:55, said:
I have a DVR1 which I can see Internal and External on my IPhone app. I have another DVR2 that is connected to a modem upstairs which is connected to my main modem from Time Warner. I know the modem upstairs works as I have a computer on it and can connect to the NET via direct or wifi . I can see my DVR2 Internal on my iPhone but cannot see it External. I suspect it is from setting up Port Forwarding in my Time Warner modem. Based on the diagram in the attachment I have tried to Port Forward 192.168.02.1 and 192.168.2.122 in the Time Warner Modem and get a "Not a Valid IP address".
Do you have port forwarding settings on the upstairs modem?

If so, you would need to setup two forwards (well, you need to forward ports at the Time Warner modem and the upstairs modem.) If they both support NAT, this will work.

You would need to setup both the ports you want to be available from the outside at each modem.

Time Warner modem gets a pair of rules:
port forward P2061 - > 192.168.2.1:2061
P9061 - > 192.168.2.1:9061

Upstairs modem gets similar rules with the target DVR2 IPs:
port forward P2061 - > 192.168.2.122:2061
P9061 - > 192.168.2.122:9061

If they both support port forwarding and NAT, then this should work. It depends somewhat on if they properly support the forwarding. Do you need the upstairs modem to be that particular device? If not, you can swap it out with an aftermarket router and then make it work.

The upstairs modem does have port forwarding for 192.168.2.122 for ports 2061 and 9061.  This is probably why I can see DVR2 internal when logged WIFI into the upstairs modem.  When I try to port forward on the Time Warner modem for the same 192.168.2.122 for ports 2061 and 9061 it gives me "Not a valid IP address".

DVR1 is port forwarded through the Time Warner modem and I can see that DVR internal and external.

Suggestions?

Hi,

Why do you have that upstairs "modem" - which I doubt is actually a modem.

Frederick

There are many pieces today to a home network.

There is a modem, firewall, router, access point and switch.

Today an ISP provider will rent you a combination modem, firewall, router, access point, VOIP box and switch.

Some folks refer to the above mentioned hardware as modems, others refer to them as routers, others say they are access points when in fact they could be all of the above or just one device.

Tell us what specific model and manufacturer of your two modems.

Next please tell us all of the cables that you have plugged in to the two modems and what ports you are using.

Add to the above information all of the switches or other devices you have plugged in to the two modems.

I see you have wireless configured.  I see two networks.

Please tell use which modem you have wireless configured.

Then tell us the IP configurations you have configured on the two modems.

Before you can make changes firewall(s) you have to have a basic understanding of your home network is all about.

You are skipping pieces in your explaination and that will not solve your issues.

Note too that your home internal IP addresses can be anything you want.  Typically home network IP addresses are configured by default.

With the above information then we can proceed to help you with your firewall settings which are set only on one device in your home. 

Wireless is separate and not related to your base set up.

Draw it on piece of paper if you want and take a picture of the piece of paper and post it here.

Help us help you. 

Cobra...Sorry, meant to mention that I tried the 192.168.2.1 for ports 2061 and 9061 with the same "Invalid IP address".  Got same error for 192.168.2.122.

Frederick C. Wilt said:
Hi,

Why do you have that upstairs "modem" - which I doubt is actually a modem.

Frederick

This is where I was heading with my initial question... changing the upstairs device to a network switch would greatly simplify things.

Even if it is a "router" by hardware category. It would be easy to disable the DHCP server on it, set a static address on it that adds it to the first floor router's network... essentially turning it into a switch/access point (assuming it also has wireless).

drvnbysound said:

This is where I was heading with my initial question... changing the upstairs device to a network switch would greatly simplify things.

Even if it is a "router" by hardware category. It would be easy to disable the DHCP server on it, set a static address on it that adds it to the first floor router's network... essentially turning it into a switch/access point (assuming it also has wireless).

I'm guessing this is a residential setup but why the OP wants two different sub-nets escapes me.

If there was a valid technical reason the OP wanted two sub-nets I would think he would have enough understanding of networking in general to solve his problem.

Now there is one possibility that I can think of that is related to limited understanding of port forwarding.

That second "modem" may be a router creating the second sub-net because the OP does not know how to setup port-forwarding to allow external access to multiple devices which have different IP addresses but use the same ports.

Frederick

Frederick Wilt...I have a Linksys E3200 Router upstairs which I incorrectly said modem.  I have a good general understanding of port forwarding.  What I'm looking for is a solution to see DVR2 External rather than "pot shots" at a perceived OP lack of network understanding.  If I had all of the answers I wouldn't need this forum which I thought was for this type of dialog. The Router upstairs has a static IP of 192.168.2.1 as shown in the diagram I submitted.  The DVR2 has a static IP of 192.168.2.122.  I have done the port forwarding in the upstairs Router successfully to see the DVR2 via WIFI on the upstairs router.  Notwithstanding the Time Warner modem has a DVR1 that I set up with a static IP and different ports that have been forwarded with successful viewing for 5 plus years.  Both the modem and router are wireless and used as wireless.  The reason for having two systems is personal.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

DeputyDawg said:
Frederick Wilt...I have a Linksys E3200 Router upstairs which I incorrectly said modem.  I have a good general understanding of port forwarding.  What I'm looking for is a solution to see DVR2 External rather than "pot shots" at a perceived OP lack of network understanding.  If I had all of the answers I wouldn't need this forum which I thought was for this type of dialog. The Router upstairs has a static IP of 192.168.2.1 as shown in the diagram I submitted.  The DVR2 has a static IP of 192.168.2.122.  I have done the port forwarding in the upstairs Router successfully to see the DVR2 via WIFI on the upstairs router.  Notwithstanding the Time Warner modem has a DVR1 that I set up with a static IP and different ports that have been forwarded with successful viewing for 5 plus years.  Both the modem and router are wireless and used as wireless.  The reason for having two systems is personal.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

Hi,

Wasn't trying to take a "pot shot" at you - it simply wasn't at all clear why you were doing what you were doing.

Why do you think you need the second router? You say it is personal but you may be taking the wrong approach. If we don't know the reason we cannot give you the best answer.

Anyway port forwarding relies on the port being specified in the external request to route the request to the correct device.

So that means you have to have two sets of pf rules in router #1 and one set of pf rules in router #2.

Are both DVRs configure for the same port(s)?

Frederick

Do not use the WAN or Internet port on the router upstairs. Plug the cable from the downstairs router into a LAN port on the upstairs router (along with any other devices up there), disable the DHCP server in the upstairs router and it's just a switch at that point. All IP addresses will come from the downstairs router, only one subnet, and only one firewall to forward ports through. No more troubles.

Apologies relating to my posts hurting your feelings.

I only asked that you help us help you.

Many folks on the forum today are IT centric, security centric, CCTV centric, automation software centric, OmniPro centric and Elk panel centric.

We share information and try to answer questions as best as possible. 

I mentioned help us help you.

Telling us the end solution of what you want to do without  any more information other than configuring ports on a router (modem) makes it difficult for us to help you. 

It is nice that Frunple figured out what you are doing with what type of hardware. 

Getting offended and vocalizing your feelings (whining) about this really is not a nice way to play here as we all voluntarily post and help folks here on our time. 

Back